05 Jetta TDI MFI Conversion+NAVI

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
OK guys here we go.. I am going for the whole enchilada here.
I am post this as a diary of the procedure I am going through to Swap a full FIS cluster and a NAVI in place of my double din Monsoon.
I was informed by Dan at Hillside Imports that the dealer no longer gives the secret key codes (SKC) anymore. They cose the clusters with their machine online now.
My cluster is a "zeroed" cluster I bought on E-bay and I am performing the wiper stalk replacement today. The airbag wasnt too hard. You simple turn the wheel 45 deg, and locate the access hole on the back of the steering wheel at the top, I inserted a small screwdriver about 2" in and gently pryed the screwdriver up, toward the outside of the wheen and gently pulled the airbag loose. You then rotate the wheel back the other way so the opposite hole is at the top and do the same thing. I was carefull not to let the aitbag fall as the wires are short. I removed the steering wheel with the Torx 55 and the wheel came right out.
I had to remove the ESP wheel sensor, only 2 tabs on top and the 2 connectors. I removed the upper and lower covers, and the wiper stalk came off easily from releasing the tab.
The upper cover was a bit difficult, but you slide it back by pulling it towards you, the tabs pop loose with a tug.
I added the 5 wires as per the the thread located here.
I am going to the dealer tomorrow and hope that they can code the new cluster. I will keep everyone up to date on the new coding procedure. I guess this just took place as of Feb 1st. I only have the sharware version of VAG-COM and an old ISO-Optical cable, so I doubt even with a registered version, I doubt I could code the cluster anyway, even if the did give the SKU to me.

More to come as this unfolds.. My NAVI version "G" and TMC box will be here tomorrow...

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
Well the local dealer tried to code the cluster, no dice, they could not get the cluster to take the login pin.
Hillside Imports worked on the cluster for a coulpe of hours even going back one version with the VAG tool, still no login. They were great, he called the guy I purchaed the cluster from, Named Mark that sells many clusters and he said on some cars the cluster needs to be re-flashed with different software, so Hillside Imports sent it to a guy back east for a reflash. Hopefully it will be back in 10 days or so.
In the meantime my NAVI has arrived!!! I have the correct TMC box, and will be installing that soon.

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
So SVTWEB, You are the one doing the flash updates? Dan never told me who it was really he was sending it too? So yeah, I guess so !.. Kewl. Dan told me he woke Mark up in the middle of the night, hehe. I hope all this works when its done. The dealer was actually very interested in why they could not get it coded, and Dan at Hillside was really helpfull, I felt bad taking up so much of his time, he seems to know a ton about these clusters, and said that each one is a little bit different to set up.That cluster looked so cool when we were trying to code it, the MFI display showed up, as well as the car icon showing the doors open. I have to say I thank everyone who has been involved withthis project so far. I have met alot of nice people..I hope I am not boring everyone with this thread. I just thought id post my experiences to help anyone else that might be interested in the Navi and cluster conversion..

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
If it all went in without a hitch you wouldn't appreciate it as much when it all works perfectly.

I had my high pix cluster reflashed as well, works great now.

You'll get it going sooner than later hopefully.

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
Well no word yet on the cluster. I did buy the CD wiring harness and antenna adaptor for the NAVI. Most of it should be plug-n-play... At least from what I have read so far.. I have the NAVE and TMC wiring harnesses and am going to adapt them together so I dont have to splice any of the cars wires.
So all is quiet so far untill I get the harnesses and cluster back..

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
JW,

Small world that SVTWEB is "the guy" coding your new cluster. Keep us posted, would love to see this all working together when you are through!.

Al

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
The lucky part was finding Dan, at Hillside Imports that knew the guy personally in Germany I bought the cluster from, as well as SVTWEB being the one Dan is sending the cluster to. I am still not 100 percent sure that SVTWEB is flashing the cluster, since I havent talked to Dan to verify..
I will keep everyone posted though, I have some harnesses ordered from Pencilneck from the Navi forum, and after the harnesses get here and the cluster gets back, hopefully I can get all this working. The only pics I have taken were with my camera phone, but once the install is complete I will get some good pics taken and post them

skicrave

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat 1.8T 4Motion Wagon
If anyone can get this problem solved, Eric and Dan are probably the two best people in NA to have on the case!

Drop me a line when you get everything figured out, I want to see it running (BTW, did you get your headlights yet?).

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
Hi Jason:) I will call you when its all done.. This has turned out to be a bigger project than I wanted, LOL..
Cullen says the lights are in a container now headed this way, So I would guess I will have them in 3 weeks maybe. I hope we have a Portland G2G soon

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
Well I have all the wiring harnesses I need for my Navi install. Still waiting for the cluster, but that can wait for now. The problem I am having now is getting the Monsoon DD deck out. I have the removal tools, but it wont pull out. It seems the tools are not pulling the tabs far enough out.. Any ideas???

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
JW,

Having just pulled my DD Monsoon last night, I might be able to help. Which way is the flat side of the tool oriented in relation to the outside of the radio (i.e. is the flat (not angled) side facing the outside of the radio)? The tool should push in 0.5" to 0.75" and have an audible click upon engagement. After all 4 were in, I then put a few fingers in the cassette door to wiggle the unit out. Pulling on the tools only might not get it done.

Let me know if you have any further trouble.

Al

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
Yeah, The pointed sides of the tools were out, They clicked in place fine. I pulled on all 4 at once at varying angles, wigging the radio and plulling gently via the casette door as well.. The Radio seems to move a bit, but wont pull out.. I have the "V" spabed tools that came withthe Navi, which looked like the tools the dealer had.. I saw on Navi.com a different looking set... But what I have seems to be right.

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
Well the radio wont budge a millimeter. I have the right keys, they "click" in fine, but nothing, I have wiggled, pushed, prodded, poked, the clips just wont release. I have searched Vortex forums and it looks like the only way to get the radio out at this point is to take the dash apart or beat the thing out with a hammer. Some posts sy there are screws to take the faceplate off and you can access the clips that way. I have removed the AC and blank for the once-cupholder, but there are no screws holding the faceplate on.. So I am at a loss at this point, I dont want to take anything else apart at this point.. Any more ideas?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'm joining you in a request for help in getting the radio out !!!!

I just received the tools, and had no luck in getting the radio to budge. I had Herm try his hand at it, and it appears that the top-right "slot" has something wrong inside... I should mention that the car had been in a collision where the dash had to be replaced... the VW body shop did an overall less-than-mediocre job, and I wouldn't be surprised if they screwed up something here as well...

So: Can anyone post any details of what's hidden behind the faceplate? In other words, what's supposed to be happening when we stick the radio tools into the slots? A picture of an extracted radio would be nice as well...

Yuri.

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
Well the DD radio is out!! When the tools "lock" in, the tabs that hold the radio are not totally pressed out fully, so by grinding the tools so that there is no lock tab in the tools, I was able to work the radio out by pulling the radio out through the cassette door. Also it looks like the rubber plug in the back of the radio was also helping to keep the radio secure.

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
I am ready for my Navi install. Here are the issues I am having: The PnP adaptor that came with the Navi has the pins going 90 deg off, I know I can buy the pigtail adaptor and modify that, which I will do today. The Monsoon deck is the Clarion model. The interesting thing is according to the wiring diagram on the Monsoon, there is no Gala signal input (even though the owners manual says that the volume can be set speed sensitive) and there is no dash light input, but yet the dash rheostat DOES vary the illumination. It does have the high/low can bus so I can make that PnP. Has anyone donr a Navi instal on a NA 05 Jetta? I want to make this as PnP as possible. What does the K line do? there is a KI.30 input, but not sure what that is. Also I have to change the speaker plug as well, not a problem there, but on the Navi what turns on the Monsoon amp? The Monsoon has an amp turn on lead, but the Navi does not... Any ideas?

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI White/Black
I can't answer all of your questions, but I can tell you that unless they changed it for the 2005 MY (which seems pretty unlikely), the monsoon amp is activated by a signal on one of the speaker wires (front left, IIRC). So the "remote" line on the monsoon head should not need to be attached to anything except an external amp (i.e. you shouldn't need it unless you're installing an amplified speaker system at some point). And even if you don't hook it up, the CD changer wiring has a wire that goes to +12V when then head unit is on, so you can tap into that for an amp remote signal.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Save yourself a ton of problems and order the harness adaptor from PencilNeck. He has, by far, the absolute best PnP harness made. Look him up on the board. I ti s around $115, and unless you work for $1.25/hr it will pay for itself.

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
Yeah, I was on the Navi forum and Pencilneck told me that the DD Monsoon gets the S,K, Gala, and Illumination signals from the Can-Bus, which is actually pretty cool. Unfortunatly the Navi, even with the TMC box, doesnt utilize the Can-bus for those features, So the 4 extra wires have to be run for them. I did buy the CD changer adaptor and the Antenna adaptor from Pencilneck and the arrived quickly. Definatly a good seller. I was trying to second guess him and be clever thinking there really was a total plug n play way to do it, but he has been through all this before. So so much for me trying to second guess the masters, LOL. In retrospect Since the harnesses that come with the Navi are not correct, I should have bought the PnP Harness from Pencil in the first place. Live and learn... Thats why I am posting on this forum, to save others from my trials and errors, LOL...
Anyway since I purchashed the DD adaptor plug from Circuit City and have ordered the correct speaker plug, I will just make my own harness since the rest of it is complete anyway. Pencilneck has provided on the Navi forum good wiring diagrams for those of us silly people that want to make our own harness..But do yourself a favor, SVTWEB is right.. Just buy the harness and be done with it..

BTW, SVTWEB, are you the one that Dan sent my cluster to be re-flashed? He never said where it was going, LOL..

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
OK, So the Navi is basically in, The TMC box I managed to get to fit under the radio cage with great diffuculty, I namaged to squeeze it behind and under the cage but had to take the grovebox, and the under the steering wheel panels to get that the screws to losten the radio cage.. in order to do it right the entire center consloe needs to be removed as well, but I managed to get it in without breaking anything... But alas the CD changer portion of the Navi doesnt work despite taking the plug apart to make sure the CD to Navi adaptor was indeed plugged in, it will actually plug in 2 different ways, but that Navi wont recognise it.. The TMC bix is another story, it doesnt work either, no steering wheem controls... The full FIS cluster has been shipped to somewhere that I dont know to be re-flashed, thats been over a month.. I dont have any disks yet to even test if the Navi portion works.. So far I have a giant big screen radio....I would cation anyone doing all these mods, its buyer beware if things dont work.. No one seems to really be an expert on all this.. If I had it to do over again, I would NOT.. its just too much trouble for what you get. I will keep ya posted on the progress

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
OK, here is the update on the CD changer.. The Adaptor I purchased was wired incorrectly, the plug intot the navi was rotaed 180 deg when the wires were installed, so every wire was wrong.. I rewired that and the CD changer works great.. Only 4 more wires I have to splice and then everything should be working on the Navi..

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
I havent posted for awhile, I have been kinda busy, but here goes:
Navi is totally done!! Yay, but the disks I have borrowed dont work in Multnomah County where I live.. I was told there is a glitch in the 04 disks.. Does anyone have an Oregon disk that does work? I am thinking of buying a set of 05 disks, but I want to make sure they work...
Update on the FIS cluster, I got it back from being reflashed and took it to the local dealer, and its IS coded finally and WORKS!! Yay again, the only problem is the distance to empty wont work and it was a zero'ed cluster. So I am not sure if it has to be reflashed again or the dealer messed it up or what. But the good news is that the Navi and FIS as well as the steering wheel controls all work like they are supposed to... Next project is the E-code HID's that should be coming from Eurocullen...

TeleDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2004, Reflex Silver
the only problem is the distance to empty wont work
Whoever reflased your cluster also removed the Distance to Empty feature if it was ever enabled. It is not normally enabled in Golf/Jetta(Bora) clusters. Only Passat clusters come from the factory that way. You could get it reflased to enable it, but it may not be worth it. PM ele28 here on TDI Club. He can enable the Distance to Empty feature for you if can't live with out it, but you'll have to send him the cluster.

T.D.