05 Jetta tdi coolant loss

Stylinfosho

TDI
2005 Jetta
New to forum Bought a 05 Jetta off a friend for a steal runs great he said it was going through coolant no water in oil no pressure in coolant system has egr still intact no obvious leaks what should I look for.....

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Heater core?
Do you smell coolant inside the car?

O-rings in the heater core connector at the firewall?
Also engine temp sensor.

Water pump seal?
Check behind the timing belt lower cover.

Pressure test the system.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
We've had a couple of these lately. If you can't spot the leak, pressure seems the way to go.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
You mean like people wear at Wisconsin football games? :) (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself!)
Seriously, could you elaborate on that flange? --Thanks!

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I posted that in reference to the flange on the side of the cylinder head above the transmission, but in thinking about it I'm not sure what a BEW has there, if it's plastic or metal. It's still a good area to look. the seal on the metal pipe where it enters the block under the water pump too. If it has the VW coolant in it it should be easy to find, it leaves lots of residue when it dries.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Pressure test it when cold, look for where it comes from.

On the BEW it could be several things, but the most likely spots are:

o-rings at heater core quick connect couplers on the firewall

swollen vent hose from leaking tandem pump, usually under the pump itself or where it goes to the head behind the pump

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Pressure testing is your friend.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Look for pink crust of white grey mineral type buildup. The waterpump when leaking finds its way to a hole at the bottom of the crank pulley area there is a notch betweem the tinplate and the alloy part for it to weep out. Coolany bottle leaks present on the frame rail and weep at the rear of the fender liner dump some water and you can folkow that track. Thermostat waterneck. Oring square ring where it insert neat the alternator on the hardpipe.
Run it hard park it pop the hood start snake sniffing if it strong enough cookant you can taste smell it at the topside and track it to a close area.
Uv leak test kit at napa 20 bucks dye and a light with cool yellow glasses.