05 Golf TDI BEW problem..need help

DAKOTAKIDD

TDI
91 Eco Diesel Jetta
Hey guys, I have a 2005 golf TDI with the BEW engine, 5 Speed manual transmission. Here is my problem I have been chasing for quite some time now. I have researched and researched and nothing. Now the problem is getting worse.

Started off when a hum around 110 KMH that turned out to be bad wheel bearings. Once the front wheel bearings were replaced, that noise disappeared but I still had a small noise that happened at 110 KMH and went away if I was going any faster or slower. The noise seemed to be a rotational noise, with no vibration. It has been progressively getting worse. I jacked the car up and found a torn drivers side cv boot. Replaced the axle with one from RAxles. Noise still there. As the noise got worse, I found that if you let off the gas, it would disappear and foot on gas, it would come back. Push clutch in, went away, clutch out, noise is back. Changed the alternator pulley, noise still there. Looked inside at the clutch with a boroscope, found lots of metal and broken fingers. Replaced clutch, fly wheel, throw out bearing (kit from ID parts), noise still there.

Now over the last couple weeks this noise has gotten much much louder and more noticeable at all speeds from 90 k and up and now I have a rotational vibration I can feel in the floor boards, gas petal and slightly in the steering wheel. I have no plastic loose or anything that I can find that would cause this.

'm looking for some help on the next steps...I am starting to think its the transmission but I put new fluid in when I pulled the clutch and there was no metal in the old oil. Dog bone mount is newer but changed a couple years back.

I'm sure there is more that I've changed that I forgot to list. Car has 245xxx KM all stock with a Malone stage 1.5 tune.

Any ideas???

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Well noise occurs when clutch is released, but goes away when pressed in. Transmission noise perhaps? Have you checked the fluid in it, or changed it recently?

DAKOTAKIDD

TDI
91 Eco Diesel Jetta
So I jacked it up this morning and ran it up to 110k. Could clearly hear the noise and my friend took a video. You can’t hear the noise in the video cause of the engine noise but the drivers side axle cup is moving in and out. I think I have a bad bearing in the transmission.

not sure how to post a video on here at the moment.

DAKOTAKIDD

TDI
91 Eco Diesel Jetta
Put a new (used) transmission in the car last weekend and all is well now. Old transmission oil was full of metal this time and very noisy when you rotated it by hand compared to the new transmission.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Did you change the fluid in the used trans to prevent the "full of metal" ?