05.5 Repeat Cam failure

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
FYI...I run Liqui-Moly Top Tech 4200 in my '06, and run ZDDP. I get to replace camshafts every 100K. At 307K, last July, I replaced my 3rd camshaft.
Future oil change will try Pentosin HP2 5w40, as oilhammer suggested.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
You may want to PM @CanadianALH about the Malone issue.

Many many TDIers, myself included, run Malone tunes. I'm fully satisfied with my Stage 4 and Stage 2 I had before that.
I’m happy to talk. It’s just not all it’s hyped up to be. I was going to tune a PD car I would look over seas. The guys in South Africa have some fast PD cars and it would be really awesome if more were on here. I see them on YouTube and they have some fast 1/8th mile cars.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There were twin cam 16v PDs sold in other markets, too. Although oddly enough, the PD150 was an 8v SOHC.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
FYI...I run Liqui-Moly Top Tech 4200 in my '06, and run ZDDP. I get to replace camshafts every 100K. At 307K, last July, I replaced my 3rd camshaft.
Future oil change will try Pentosin HP2 5w40, as oilhammer suggested.
Why are you using 5w30 in a PD ? It’s well established these engines need 40 wt oil.

biggy238

TDI
05.5 Jetta
OK. Just flashed a 1.5 tune. I need assistance with the N75 vacuum circuit.
I weeded out the EGR controls. I Had to replace the hose between vac booster and the pump, as it has split open at some point. Current hose configuration has a hose connected from the pump elbow to the reservoir in the valve cover, and a tee fitting to supply the smallest nipple on the N75 valve. The valve is mounted inverted. I need to know if the turbo actuator connects to the center port or the top most port.
I test drove the car and had to connect the actuator directly to the vacuum (bypassed the valve) to get home under power. I do have a significant boost leak that I will be addressing, but need the actuator functional as well.

biggy238

TDI
05.5 Jetta
I had the vacuum routing correct. I ended up having to do the zip-tie mod. Apparently resting full vacuum pressure only compounded the initial issue. I used a piece of wiring to confirm at first and then a stainless ziptie. I am curious, it limped twice rather randomly and then it threw an overboost code.

I did find the suspected boost leak as well. I had broken a wiring mounting tab off of the charge air tubing on the driver side of the engine. This split the tube and caused a significant boost leak.

I find it odd that the software can throw an overboost code as the car is dumping intake pressure.

I plastic welded the tube shut in the car, pressure checked it to 5psi and then split it again on the test drive. I pulled it out of the car and just finished going hard-core on the repair. I'm in hopes that I didn't crystalize the material, but I've lost nothing if it did.

On a side note, the CCV is hosing the intake down with oil again. Not really sure when I'm going to go down the path of troubleshooting that.

biggy238

TDI
05.5 Jetta
I got the boost leak fixed. Now the car is bouncing between overboost and underboost codes. I wired ties the actuator at first, then a stainless ziptie. It set over post codes on each outting, so I redid the ziptie with a mightyvac and marked the tie with a sharpie so I could adjust it incrementally. I still haven't hit a place where the car is drivable and has the power it should.
I guess I will keep trying to adjust the ziptie to see what happens.

I have noticed that I never hear the turbo spool now that it's deleted and the ASV is disabled.

biggy238

TDI
05.5 Jetta
IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240221/42ffdeebfa23efea2adaba2f862dc493.jpg[/IMG]

I've been had by an Amazon "Bosch" sensor. Popped the original back in and back to 14.5 key on engine off. Still need a longer test drive, but zipping around the lot at work seems like an improvement

biggy238

TDI
05.5 Jetta
Quite a bit of improvement but still not right. I ran about 45 miles after swapping sensors. In the three trips that comprised of, it set the P0299 three times. I'm curious now if the ziptie needs redone to try and get the bottom end performance back. The car does well otherwise. The dash is displaying 38mpg since the reset today, which is a sharp rise over the long term 31mpg it was pulling. I am curious if the new tune skews the economy calc though.

biggy238

TDI
05.5 Jetta
OK, I concede defeat. I've tried adjusting and readjusting the zip tie. What is the long term solution to running the 1.5 tune without suffering an over boost code every 1/2 mile? I realize that ultimately the turbo has to be replaced. Will it need a higher bar pressure sensor and remap? I noticed that the max on the sensor seems to be 37psia, which the car hits easily.

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
A Stage 1.5 tune will run fine on stock MAP and turbo- I ran this configuration for almost 200k miles.

A leaking actuator will cause the symptoms you describe- the best way I can describe it is that the actuator diaphragm leaks, the N75 adds full vacuum to get the actuator to move, once the actuator begins to move it "seals" up the diaphragm and overshoots the target boost, which sets your CEL and limp mode.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
A Stage 1.5 tune will run fine on stock MAP and turbo- I ran this configuration for almost 200k miles.

A leaking actuator will cause the symptoms you describe- the best way I can describe it is that the actuator diaphragm leaks, the N75 adds full vacuum to get the actuator to move, once the actuator begins to move it "seals" up the diaphragm and overshoots the target boost, which sets your CEL and limp mode.
You need a retune. Send logs to who ever your tuner is and ask them to fix it.

biggy238

TDI
05.5 Jetta

This seems the most plausible. I did notice the last time I went to adjust the zip tie that the actuator had lost vacuum where before hand it would be at full extension with the key off after having run.

It sounds like realistically a new turbo is in order. I probably should have gone that route before I tore the intake and EGR apart.

pedroYUL

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW(brother)
Wait I assumed you had a BRM. Do you have a BEW? In that case I have a cheaper solution for ya from darkside