05.5 Oil Change Questions

Sloose

TDI
05.5 Reflex Silver Jetta Package 1
Just performed the first oil change myself with 505.01 oil (dealer wanted $90). I bought a case of oil and two filters for $90- will do the first two changes myself. Dealer kept giving me the 05 oil filters instead of the 05.5.

I drained the oil completely and changed the oil filter - and added 4.8L of oil as per the manual. My dipstick however reads a tad high when the car is off and halfway between min and max when the car is idling.

Any ideas on this? Should I have added 4.5L of oil? a little too much oil won hurt the rings, will they?

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
I drained the oil completely
Did you use a Pela or did you remove the drain plug? I've done the topside changes but I always put in the amount of oil taken out. I haven't been able to get out more than 4.5L of oil when doing my change.

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
A little high won't hurt a thing. The manual on my A4 PD says to not have it above the bend. However our member DBW has marked the dipstick relative to the bottom of the crank shaft swing with the oil pan removed. Can't remember the exact measurement but there is plenty of room above the bend. Maybe another liter before you'd have the crankshaft hitting the oil.

Sloose

TDI
05.5 Reflex Silver Jetta Package 1
I drained the oil completely
Did you use a Pela or did you remove the drain plug? I've done the topside changes but I always put in the amount of oil taken out. I haven't been able to get out more than 4.5L of oil when doing my change.
drain plug removal...i let the car drain for at least 30 mins... perhaps next time I will only replace what I remove from the car.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
FOr better or worse, my oil changes have gone like this:

Remove all of that F/n crap under the car, pull plug.
Remove oil filter.
Suck oil from oil filter housing into oil sample bottle.
Install filter.
Install plug.
Check bottom side of engine.
Install all of that F'n crap under the car.
Fill with five Qts of oil.
Drive away happy.

I check the oil about every whatever fill-up just to be sure nothing too interesting is happening. This is my first 10,000 mile OCI and the oil level is still fine.

I'm not worried about that extra half quart or whatever. Nothing bad will happen because of it.