04 Touareg V10 Drive Train - Any Wrenchers in Louisville KY area? Update: Sold it

gaddman

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta (RC3, PD150 Injectors, GTB1749V, 2.5" Downpipe), 04 Touareg V10 (RC1)
Looking for someone in the Louisville KY area to help me sort through the drive train issues on my 04 Touareg V10.

gaddman

Veteran Member
TDI
A lot of vibration and clunking/noise. The previous owner replaced the carrier bearing with an aftermarket setup (EPS, I think). But I'm not sure they put everything back together correctly. There is play in the rear portion of the shaft...it slides easily from front to back. My other Touareg does not have that play. I have a new complete shaft to put in when I have time.

It also has a Brake Workshop warning on the dash, and a code stored for a stepper motor. I also have a new one of those to put in.

Since there haven't been any responses on a local shop or mechanic, I bought these parts and will install them when I have time and see where it stands. Thanks for chiming in. I will post here when I get the parts in.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Shaft can cause vibration if not reinstalled "clocked" the same way after bearing replacement.
EPS should be a 2pc design which shouldn't have required shaft removal. (unless they removed it to repack the bearing or something)
Which stepper is acting up? Center or Rear diff?

gaddman

Veteran Member
TDI
Shaft can cause vibration if not reinstalled "clocked" the same way after bearing replacement.
EPS should be a 2pc design which shouldn't have required shaft removal. (unless they removed it to repack the bearing or something)
Which stepper is acting up? Center or Rear diff?
I have not driven the vehicle much since I bought it. It had the dash warnings and clunkiness when I got it. The vibration was not near as bad when I got it as it is now. That why I'm thinking it's the play in the long/rear part of the shaft.

On the stepper motor, it's been a while since I've looked at it. I know at one point I was getting a fault for the center one. That's why I bought the new one. But when I went to replace it I found a broken wire to the connector, so I just repaired that. I'm not sure if the current issue is the center or rear. I will get the exact codes and post here.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Look at the front propshaft flange and final drive mating flange.... some have colour markings for proper alignment.

gaddman

Veteran Member
TDI
Will do. I have it on a battery charger now. I will get it charged, clear the codes, and drive it around the block to see what codes it throws. And I will get it into the garage and get serious about trouble shooting.

gaddman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, so the vibration seems to be RPM related. When I gear down, the vibration seems to speed up and is not quite as bad. I feel it in the steering wheel and the dash more so that the floor or the seat. It only does it when I'm on the accelerator in gear. Completely goes away when I let off or go to neutral. So maybe it's not driveshaft related at all. I doubt that it's an axle/CV joint because of it changing with RPM. So maybe transmission or transfer case?

The code is for the rear stepper motor, although it did not come back after clearing and taking the drive. I have had a hard time keeping the batteries charged because of not driving it. I know that will trigger a lot of codes.

I have a lot of experience wrenching on the FWD TDI's, but none on AWD or 4WD.

gaddman

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to elaborate. The vibration is not slight. It's bad enough that I won't drive it other than a test drive. I have not noticed the groaning or grinding noise that most people report on the diff. But I haven't driven it much, especially at high speed. I will check the oil for metal, and for any obvious play in the flanges and mounts.

gaddman

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, so much for that. Sold it to a nice fellow in an Audi Q7 TDI that seemed to know more about it than I and wanted to have a go at it. Good luck, Jeff if you see this post. Let us know what you find.