04 pd joins the 800 mile club

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
I didn't mean to make it confusing for anyone. Well it seems that the majority of us posting in mpg are posting in US mpg. For myself, the mpg number is difficult to associate with as I grew up with the L/100km.

I couldn't care less with 5.5 L/100km what the measurement is /images/graemlins/grin.gif, ventectomy is done, filling up was easier than playing with the button. When I was done, I was laughing my head off, chuckling at the pump and checking to make sure she was fill. The guy beside me filling up an older style blazer was wondering what was all the commotion about. So I told him. I think he thought I was completely nuts. I don't think he knew what a mile or a litre or a kilometre even is! Poor bastard says he fills it up when its empty /images/graemlins/eek.gif

ecarnell

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2004, Mettalic Blue
Just turned 15,000km on the Jetta.
I also had my best tank last week at 1011km for 54.14L (vented tank right to the top) for 5.35L/100km or 43.9MPG.
This tank was done on smalll 10km trips and some 100km trips to and from the hospital (we gave birth to our first baby girl on Feb 28th) - avg 100km/hr. light came on at 975km - no major hwy driving on this tank. Sunoco Gold with winter tires.
I suspect it will only be getting better as spring is around the corner!

ecarnell

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2004, Mettalic Blue
2002 Honda CRF 450 4-stoke motorcross.

I use to ride street bikes for last 5 years (Yamaha R1, Suzuki GSXR1000) though had to give it up with the baby coming and settling down in my old age (28).

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
[ QUOTE ]
settling down in my old age (28).

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't say that! I just turned 28 about a week ago /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I gotta go... all this typing is aggrivating my arthritis! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JetDoctor

TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI PD Platnum Grey Black Leather
When I got my '04 PD 5 spd 3 months ago I turned in 35 mpg about 450mi on a tank and was very happy. Twice as good as my previous car. Then I did the ventectomy and got 500mi out of a tank. Then the car started to break in and pushed it about 50mi after the light came on and got 600mi out of it and was tickled pink. Now with 5000mi on the odo I can get 600mi out of it before the light even comes on the gas milage was 42.5 mpg with 50/50 city hwy driving (I thought to myself UNREAL) Looking forward to getting 700 or maybe 800 out of a tank. Sorry for writing a book but I had to share this. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pseudobrit

Veteran Member
TDI
-
Just wanted to check in and tell ya'll my '02 Golf hit the 800 mile mark this week. I was astounded.

Lancaster, PA to Montréal, PQ on Thursday, then around Montréal for two days, then back through Ontario and into NY on I-81 before I stopped for fuel 75 miles after the light came on (phew!). I'll have to check the exact figures, but I think it's something like 810 miles on one (manually) vented tank.

Oh, it had about a full bottle of PowerService (white) in it as I'd just changed the fuel filter two days prior. I used the PS to fill the filter and just put the other half of the bottle in the tank.

I drove all through Canada for two days and didn't buy a single drop of Canadian fuel!

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
[ QUOTE ]

I use to ride street bikes for last 5 years (Yamaha R1, Suzuki GSXR1000) though had to give it up with the baby coming and settling down in my old age (28).

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break about the old thing. I'm 30 and I'm dying for May to get out my Honda RC51. Givin up the road bike for dirt fun huh? , traitor /images/graemlins/grin.gif

chawk62

TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, Galatic Blue
I have a 04 Jetta with a 5-speed and have consistantly been getting about 42-43 driving both city and freeway. I put on roughly 60 miles a day to and from work. I pulled the vent thing out of the filler neck. I'm driving down to NC this weekend and look forward to seeing what kind of mileage I get. It would be nice to see 800 miles on a tank.

sanjaun2

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 2012 Passat TDI
Each car is different,it is looking like the average 5speed pd gets somewhere in the low forties, unfortenate if you get in the thirtees and great if you get better than avg. I believe these guys because so far I am getting around 50mpg with 85% hwy driving averaging around 70mph. still less than 1000 miles so it should improve, although when the car gets more broke in I will up the speed also. Sooner or later someone will hit 60mpg on their pd. may not be lying just very lucky!!!

kingwj

I have an '01 and have used the same gas station to fill up basically since I've owned the car. The interesting item about my car is that I used to be able to get high 40's and hit 50 mpg once. Now, however, my car has been on a slow steady decline in mpg for quite a long time.
I'm now getting around 34.5 mpg. On the last few trips that I made, 120 miles per shot of driving (non-stop) and only about 30 miles of "city" driving. I was able to hit around 430 miles per tank till the light comes on. I'm usually heavy on the throttle /images/graemlins/wink.gif running around 75-80 the entire way with these results. However, I took two tank fills and specifically drove 65-70 and made sure I wasn't heavy on the accelerator. I was able to increase my tank mileage by about 30 mi per tank. Yes, this was all done in the winter and I do live in the "city" (King of Prussia, PA). But, I take regular trips (a few times per week) that are 80+ miles of highway driving one way at a shot.
The dealer recently reset my timing including the injector timing because I actually ran into a power problem w/ the car. /images/graemlins/frown.gif But, after two tank fills from the dealer "correcting" the issue (the car does run happily again) I just hit 34.6 and am at about 1/2 full w/ 230mi on this tank.
I'd love to hear some recommendations on what to check or as to why my fuel milage would steadily get worse with little driving changes and using the same fuel station about 90% of the time (I tried 3 different stations thinking it might be their fuel.. but had no significant difference in fuel milage at most making up a total difference either way of about 10-15mi per tank). Just as an FYI. I also have an old dodge dakota 2.5L that I drive the same way (although, it is slower and has 180K+ miles on it) and regularly get 22-24 mpg...which is about its factory rating.

-I won't mention the number of times I've had it to the dealer to have one thing or another fixed unless you're interested in a list... and most of those were because it needed towed. /sigh

I'm just looking to hear some good ideas or information.
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

powerbook

TDI
04 Golf TDI GLS 5-spd
I have to agree with Arthur and Skenny. So far my MPGs haven't even come close to what I'm reading on this forum as my '04 Golf GLS TDI has yet to break 40mpg's.

Mind you I'm not even half way through the break-in, but still my three tanks, so far, have given (in MPG) 2 in the 37's and one in the 39's. I think that's acceptable but nowhere close to what I was hoping for.

Maybe the summer fuel (comming soon I hope) will help bump this up a little and getting a few extra KM's under the hood also.

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

skenny

Veteran Member
TDI
none
If things keep going well I should be able to break 40 on this tank /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I've got a 2001 mind you.. this damn cold winter and winter fuel and city driving certainly took its toll. I can't wait for summer fuel and short warmups.

powerbook

TDI
04 Golf TDI GLS 5-spd
[ QUOTE ]
Powerbook... auto or 5-speed?

[/ QUOTE ]

The regular 5 speed man tranny. The auto kinda looks cute but for a diesel I really wanted the manual.

Pseudobrit

Veteran Member
TDI
-
[ QUOTE ]
I have to agree with Arthur and Skenny. So far my MPGs haven't even come close to what I'm reading on this forum as my '04 Golf GLS TDI has yet to break 40mpg's.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time I see much over 45 or so is when I'm doing highway trips.

My tires are at 37 PSI warm temp.

[ QUOTE ]
Mind you I'm not even half way through the break-in, but still my three tanks, so far, have given (in MPG) 2 in the 37's and one in the 39's. I think that's acceptable but nowhere close to what I was hoping for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had some high 30's in my first year of driving mine.

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto
So Can i assume from this string that the more Broken in these
cars get the better mpg they achieve???

Cummins Driver

TDI
2011 Golf 6 Speed manual, Candy White
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

my average winter MPG is 46-48MPG

[/ QUOTE ]

I am between 47 and just under 51 on my PD 5 Speed Wagon.

Matt_Fruechte

TDI
2004 Jetta GL (platinum)
I have a '04 Jetta GL (5-SPD) and just got my first 800+ tank (809.0 to be exact). This equaled 56.3MPG on a vented tank. When I first purchased it i was getting around 600 miles but now I have about 7200 miles on it. I do have to admit that I really tried to get this (driving around 60MPH and no higher than 2,000 RPMs). I try and alternate each tank for economy then the next on regular driving. I am thinking on getting a 2% bio on the next tank to see how it does.

Matt

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Whoa! I have yet to hit 56 MPG on my '03 Golf! I have hit 54 MPG twice... trying hard both times... but this was not all highway driving. Just my normal commute with a little city driving in there, lots of hills, and a few traffic lights. I've been getting around 50 MPG in normal driving recently... since the return of summer fuel. Last three tanks were 51, 50.7, and 49.8 MPG. I'm taking it easy on the current tank, trying to get up into the mid 50s. I gotta watch you slow PD drivers... can't let you guys get better mileage than a 90hp TDI! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

DeathEngine

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
This just goes to show ya that the pd motor isnt as bad as some naysayers would have you believe. Great job on the 809 mile tank! You beat me by several miles!