04 Jetta. noisy exhaust, black smoke, LOW power... thoughts??

GR40RCapri

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI 5spd auto
maybe a dumb question, but isn't this a PD??

the IDParts kit says it's for a BEW.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the PD and BEW different??

how do i tell, and/or when did the change overs happen??

thx

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Do you need the special camshaft sprocket holder tool to get the center cam hub nut off for the BEW? I never did get a definitive answer on that.

--Nate

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
maybe a dumb question, but isn't this a PD??

the IDParts kit says it's for a BEW.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the PD and BEW different??

how do i tell, and/or when did the change overs happen??

thx
The BEW is a PD type motor. BEW is the engine code, PD is the injector type(stands in german for pump injector).

GR40RCapri

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI 5spd auto
ah.

gotcha...thanks.

thoughts on OEM, or performance cams, while i'm there???

thx.

pridyuk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 jetta wagon pd-tdi, '97 jetta tdi, '98 jett tdi, '01 jetta tdi, '00 jetta tdi auto, '02 jetta tdi, and '03 golf tdi-parts.
watching this thread, and i decided to remove my valve cover to check my cams finally, it got 144k on the clock and i figured its about time. cant really tell how bad they are, because i never dealt with vw cams before, but i took a lot of pics, hope they came out ok , im about to upload them and post in here then, but to me looks like the chamfer is worn on all the valve lobes, but i showed it to my father who has been mechanic for most of his life, but mostly big diesel mechanic for semi trucks and he says to him they look prety good and says i shouldnt worry about them for at least another 50k, so i decides to get second opinion from you guys, i dont wanna risk it, plus i want them to still be a usable core for the colt regrind.

ill post some pics very soon

pridyuk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 jetta wagon pd-tdi, '97 jetta tdi, '98 jett tdi, '01 jetta tdi, '00 jetta tdi auto, '02 jetta tdi, and '03 golf tdi-parts.
well here they are, i should have checked the pix before i put the cover back, but i kindof messed up on them, but here are some, just wondering if you can tell anything from them?
like those darker lines closer to the edge of the lobes

GR40RCapri

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI 5spd auto
Ahem* ThreadHijack*ahem..;)

can't see anything from those pics...the lines could be oil residue...

time to go again, and wipe things clean to get a better look....

J

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Cam
Lifters (followers)
bearings
cam seal
cam rocker bolts (one time use)
motor mount bolts (one time use)
There are threads here with a more complete parts listing but this is pretty much it. As far as I know, you'll have to redo the timing belt procedure basically when you pull the belt off. If it were my car, I'd just inspect the timing components while everything is off and re-use them. You're only half way through the life of the system. You will need some specialized tools from metalnerd.com to get er done. To take the belt off, you need to release the tension, to release the tensioner, you need to get your XL mits down there, to do that you have to get the engine mount out of the way. So, you'll need a crank lock, tensioner tool, "sprocket buster" tool to hold the cam prior to removing the bolt, and VCDS to check timing in group 003 field 4 IIRC. It needs to be 0+/- .5.
You can rent these tools from certain vendors and individuals online if you don't want to buy them. Or you can take it to a guru to get it all done. It's not a terribly difficult job, but you should be familiar with what you are doing and use the correct procedures/tools to avoid catastrophic failure (again I suppose). PD cam replacements aren't exactly "cheap". The good news is your car will run like a top when fixed!

pridyuk

Veteran Member
TDI
sorry for the hijack, didnt mean to do it. my bad. just wanted someones opinion and to bring this thread back to life, since last post was 10 days ago

pridyuk

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahem* ThreadHijack*ahem..;)

can't see anything from those pics...the lines could be oil residue...

time to go again, and wipe things clean to get a better look....

J
i cleaned them, residue was still there, the thing where i messed up was i relied on auto focus, and its not focused :(

GR40RCapri

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI 5spd auto
hmmm

the close up feature would help...

not sure which camera you have though...

I use a Finepix Z from Fuji...works great!.

J