'04 Jetta Fuel Pump Kapoot

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
Hi Folks. It's been a while since I last posted. Life's just getting too busy these days :(

Anyway, just wanted to report that our Jetta's fuel pump suddenly got noisy yesterday. My wife reported the problem to me as the car sounds like a power washer! Sure enough, the noise was inside the car, coming from below the rear seat. Searching for a few minutes on TDICLUB, and I new what to do :)

I got the pump at my dealer along with a new gasket for a cool price of $392 CDN, including taxes. We live in BC, and there were only two pumps in the Lower Mainland. One word, OUCH!!

The car is 4.5 yrs old with 72,700 km (45,000 miles). Our car was the second PD J-Wagon in Canada in Oct/03. The original pump was yellow in colour and made in France by ABE. The new pump is made in Germany by VDO, and is grey in colour. The new pump is quite different in design. Both pumps had the same part number of: 1J0-919-050. The gasket part number is: 1J0-919-133.

It's best to do this with the fuel tank below half full. Also, beware of the fuel that is trapped in the pump housing. There's a lot of fuel there, and you don't want it on your carpet or upholstery. Use plastic bags, and towels as appropriate.

I had a hard time figuring out how to place the gasket, and I did this in the end by slipping the gasket over the top of the pump. Then I inserted the pump into the tank. With the top of the pump housing just above the fuel tank, I slipped the gasket down and off the pump so that it was free and then gently placed the gasket on the fuel tank rim. THEN, I placed the fuel pump housing down into the tank, making sure the arrows lined up on the tank and housing. It really helps to have two people do this part. Put on the threaded ring and tighten using a rubber mallet and block of wood to tap the ring while your buddy is pushing down on the pump.

The new pump is dead quiet, and there are no leaks :) Fill up with fuel afterwards and check for leaks from the gasket, as well as the fuel lines.

Hope this helps,
Harry.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Good tips for the DIY'er.

Thanks Harry.

Starting to become a common issue with the PD's.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"I got the pump at my dealer along with a new gasket for a cool price of $392 CDN, including taxes. We live in BC, and there were only two pumps in the Lower Mainland. One word, OUCH!!"

Ouch is right. Kerma TDI and TDIparts.com both cary the same OEM (VDO brand) pump for about $220 US dollars. Don't know if they ship to Canada, though. There is a non-OEM pump for about $110.

By the way, my in-tank lift pump failed without warning at 46,000 miles. I was lucky, the tow and repair was covered by the warranty. Also, my PD was made in October of '03 like yours. I have no idea what brand pump was in it, since the dealer replaced it. It has a VDO in it now.

--Nate

Last edited:

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Why are these failing so often but the gasser pumps seem to last so much better?

Way too common of a failure with these from what I've seen...