04 jetta BEW ecu

mikethebike

TDI
04 jetta TDI
i posted a question a couple weeks ago about recoding an ecu from auto to manual. i got alot of good feed back on how to and who to contact with vcds. all posts said that i could recode just change the soft coding in the engine section. i tried this with no success, so i called ross-tech while i was using the vcds and they said that my ecu on the 2004 jetta cannot be recoded and that i would have to buy the correct part number ecu for a manual trans. so im at a loss of where to go from here a new ecu from the dealer is $1400 installed. YIKES!

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
New tuned ecm

I have an ECM with a Unitronic stage 1+ tune on it I'd sell, it's for a manual transmission as well. Pm me if you're interested.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I just did this on a 2004 Jetta BEW. I wonder what the problem is?
But in the event that you can not for some reason and you can not afford the down time of sending your ECU in, you should get a salvage ECU for about $100-$150 and have a tuner do it for another few bucks. They can make some improvement to the basic program while they are in there even if you are not interested in a go-fast performance bump. The tuner will have to delete the immobilizer for you as well. The dealer is not the place to get things like this done.

UPDATE:
The ECU I could recode was updated to the latest software with "R" suffix on the ECU part number. Perhaps that is why it allowed me to recode for manual/auto.

Last edited:

mikethebike

TDI
04 jetta TDI
Lurker92 and JETaah thanks for the info and reassurance im makin an appointment with an authorized Malone tuning dealer in my area. i will update you with the results. thanks for helping out the new guy, i feel kinda silly sometimes.