04 bew intermittent engine shutter when engine is warm

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Have you replaced the harness ?

Years ago when the harness went bad , car would run fine when cold and would stumble and misfire when hot . Eventually , CEL came on . I squeezed the contacts on the harness , it was cured for few months and it started misfiring again

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
Funny you mention that. I ordered a new harness this morning. I performed all resistance tests and it checked out fine so I ruled it out. I even meggerd the harness. The only thing I could not simulate was bathing it in red hot engine oil while performing the tests. i will see what happens. With any luck this is the problem.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Did the continuity test too. It still acted up
The injector solenoid has very low resistance and a slight build up of resistance will affect it

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Yup, resistance testing the harness usually doesn't mean much. I just had to tweak the pins on my injectors last week due to circuit malfunction codes.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
Well... I replaced the injector harness last weekend. i was optimistic that would and had fixed the shuddering. It was very cold this week and I thought I felt a mild shudder every once and a while but I kept telling myself I was imagining it. Yesterday it reached 60 degrees outside. The engine still has the shudder... It is strange that this occurs when it is warm out and not cold. still runs great... Aside from the shudder...

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
I just replaced the dog bone mount when I did the clutch over Christmas. The mounting holes that bolt to the subframe disintagrated when I took it off. Other than as for the engine and transmission mounts. I believe they are the originals. I did not replace them. Yet...

I pulled the valve cover today again. I inspected the cam outside in real daylight. It looks good. Of course I did not throw a caliper on the lobes, but all the lobes still have chamfered edges... May lifters are in xcellent shape. Maybe the injector lobes are worn enough to make it randomly shudder. I do not see anything alarming. you are right. I think I'm done chasing this ghost

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
So Now that it is getting warmer the shudder is more prominent... I decided to pull the injector rocker arms so I could really see the cam. I have no idea if the cam was ever replaced because I have only owned it for 2 years, but it is in excellent. I believe the cam may be the original because it has the white torque mark on each of the injector lash adjusters.. The lifters do not have a scuff on them. I do not have enough experience to know any better, but I if wonder one (or more) of the nozzles are not functioning properly. My only guess would be injector issues. I have changed the dmf. That had decent amount of play but was not the cause of the shudder. I have driven the car with the egr unplugged. Replaced injector harness. Tandem pump pressure is good. Supplied fuel from a glass jar to make sure it was not a fuel filter issue and that I do not have leaky injector orients. Lift pump is operational. replaced crank sensor. That made a noticeable acceleration improvement which was nice but didn't fix the shudder. I have run the engine with the cam sensor unplugged. No difference there. Also replaced coolant temp sensor thinking that may be on the fritz. That didn't help. Timing is set at + 2 degrees. Still no codes. Great acceleration, great fuel mileage. Just thought I would bump this to see if anyone else has any ideas other than drive more worry less... Has anyone heard of harmonic balancers going bad on the pd engine and causing a bit of shuddering? I have pulled the serpentine belt, so I know it is not the alternator pulley. This shuddering business drives me nuts.

Last edited:

DieselDork

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW
As I sit at this stop light my BEW is shuddering as well. I have replaced the cam and replaced the cam sensor. I'm wondering if maybe it is the crank sensor or the injectors are so used up they need renozzling. Also wondering if carbon build up in the intake could be a culprit. Have you tried all of these things?

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
As I sit at this stop light my BEW is shuddering as well. I have replaced the cam and replaced the cam sensor. I'm wondering if maybe it is the crank sensor or the injectors are so used up they need renozzling. Also wondering if carbon build up in the intake could be a culprit. Have you tried all of these things?
My intake is pretty clean. I scoped down to the head. It is oily with a bit of soot crust but that's about it. I did change my crank sensor and that improved acceleration a bit but did not eliminate the shuddering. I have not replaced the cam sensor as I have unplugged it and the shudder does not disappear. My injector quantities are within spec and my injector switch times are okay from what I have read. my cam and lifters are mint. I am thinking my issue injectors or maybe harmonic balancer? The injector numbers look good though... I am stumped. I have almost 170K miles on the engine. I have no idea what the life expectancy of a nozzle is and how often the unit injectors historically need to be serviced.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
I had a similar issue thought not exactly the same. Mine was solved with a new MAF and a torsion adjustment.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=441167

I read through your thread, I didn't see a MAF change out though maybe you ruled that out with the VCDS ?
Thanks for your reply. I actually replaced the MAF last July. Check engine light came on when I was going down a long hill on the highway. I forget what the specific code was, but I replaced it and the code never came back. Shudder was present before that also.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
Bringing this one back from the dead. I just replaced my timing belt and associated hardware. Used metal nerd timing tools to do the job. Prior to the new timing belt. Last time I checked the torsion value I believe it was -2.5. After timing belt changeout, +1.5. I retarded the cam to +.5. Not one shudder/judder since.

I kick myself, because it was suggested a while ago to adjust the torsion value. For whatever reason I just said the heck with it and lived with it because in reality the shudder wasn't that bad. Just bad enough for me to notice.

All appears to be well. Hopefully my mileage stays the same...

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Good job posting your final analysis -- makes this thread very valuable!

Glad it worked out. I've got a very subtle shudder but it's not bad enough to really do anything about it. But...I know where to look now!

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Make sure you also check your fuel temp harness wire. That causes a shudder and low power output depending on the temperature of the engine. It will eventually throw a code when it gets bad enough but it will cause a hiccup every now and again while under power, usually on a hill.

I'm not sure if its just the NB BEW wiring harness but its worth a check. ever since soldering the wires my car has been so much more responsive. And my consistent limp mode during the summer months with the AC on and under heavy load has disappeared completely.