04 bew golf whistling while decelerating.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
I replaced turbo about 4 months ago. just to put that out there. The whistling happens only during deceleration while in gear. The whistling is not loud and it only whistles. It does not pop, crack or make any other noises. And it just started. It is not loud either. No loss in performance. And it is not a trans noise. It is a whistle caused by airflow. Any if you bew owners experience this one yet? If you have and found what is was please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Recheck all intake hose connections, top and bottom.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I thought that was normal. I have the whistle all the time slowing down, mostly noticeable since I 86'ed the muffler. Speaking of which, check for exhaust leaks!

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
I'd love to find out the answer.

I don't get a whistle while engine braking - but I do get a check-engine light, MAF implausibly low signal.

I ONLY get this CEL when engine braking. If I avoid engine braking, I could drive 1,000 miles with no CEL. On mile 1,001 - if I engine brake - blammo, CEL.

Something funky goes on with the airflow during engine braking.

CGK

TDI
2015 Golf S TDI
Sounds like the lower EGR cooler pipe has split on ya.
That would be the first thing I would check. Look for some soot around the the outside of the pipe and on the cooler itself.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
CGK, do you mean the thin silver tube between the turbo manifold and the egr cooler that is right under the egr cooler. When I got home last night I did a hood ride down the road. My wife drove. The whistle is definitely coming from down low behind the engine. Is it common for the lower egr tube to crack?

Thanks,
Dan

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
CGK, do you mean the thin silver tube between the turbo manifold and the egr cooler that is right under the egr cooler. When I got home last night I did a hood ride down the road. My wife drove. The whistle is definitely coming from down low behind the engine. Is it common for the lower egr tube to crack?

Thanks,
Dan
Yes and Yes... especially when the dealers screw up the recall and install the cooler incorrectly (typically missing mounting hardware). The bad part is it'll break again if you replace the tube without fixing the mounting/alignment.

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf ALH tdi, 1997 Jetta 1z tdi
Leaky exhaust also enhances turbo whistle, such as a gasket leak between the dp and the turbo.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
So... I just finished monkeying around with the lower egr tube. No cracks... I put new gaskets on the tube since I did not when I replaced the turbo... Stupid me... Seems to have stopped whistling. I will keep you posted. Want to drive it a few time to make sure. Sometimes it didn't whistle til it was good and warm. just to let anybody who reads this know. The metal egr tube gasket goes on the turbo manifold side of the lower egr tube. Paper goes on cooler side. Common sense really.

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
Mine does the same. Whistles on decel only sometimes though! Be sure to post up your final results. I'd appreciate it!

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
since it got cold out, the whistle on decel has been intermittent. I will definitely post if this was a fix or a waste of time.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
since it got cold out, the whistle on decel has been intermittent. I will definitely post if this was a fix or a waste of time.
When mine first cracked I didn't always hear it inside the car. The sound would echo back inside if I drove with the passenger window down (there is a section of road near where I work with a rock wall on the right side, going down hill).

You can cut a sheet metal blank-off plate the shape of a gasket (without the center hole, of course) to test different sections of the EGR system. It'll cause a check engine light but will help isolate if/where you have a leak. I did that as my first EGR 'delete' - looked completely stock, but with 0 EGR flow.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
Put on a hundred miles. No whistling. I replaced manifold and egr cooler gasket. I also tightened bottom most screw that connects butterfly on egr color to the actual cooler itself. Got like 3/8 turn out of it. That's what I did. And noore whistle. I will post in a week to let you guys no If it came back...

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
So. I have about 1000 miles on now since I put new gaskets on the lower Egr pipe. Whistle is completely gone. So hopefully this can be useful to chase down a whistle. Look to the egr. May have a cracked pipe, may just need new gaskets. I did not post before that when I reinstalled the lower pipe, I put a small layer of permatex exhaust gasket maker on the seals. Maybe a bit overkill, but I new it couldn't hurt...

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
mine only does it when its pretty cold out. and not enough to bother me. gonna keep an ear on it and let it slide for now.