04 BEW Auto oil pan removal

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
So I have all the bolts..even the recessed one loose however I don't know what size the belly housing bolts are seems to be an 11mm triple square but I can't find one for the life of me.

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
Looked there. Description does not note an 11mm even though the picture shows one.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I missed the fact that it’s 11mm.

I’ve had my oil pan off a couple of times and I don’t own an 11mm triple-square, if such a thing exists. So it must be something else.

If I remember correctly there are three bolts that go through the bell-housing and into the oil pan? I don’t remember those being triple-square bolts at all. Aren’t they hex bolts? It has been two years since I had the pan off, so I can’t quite remember.

Anyway, I’ve had my pan off and I only own 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm triple-square bits.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
A 16mm socket which is typical for VW M10 threaded bolts gets them off on mine. Perhaps your bolts were replaced with non-original bolts.
I would have to think that it is a 10mm, 12mm or a 14mm triple square or it is messed up somehow where none of those will fit.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Is the PD oil pan so different from the VE? There are 2 recessed bolts. And what is a belly housing bolt?
[Apologies for the dumb questions]

JETaah

TDI
Is the PD oil pan so different from the VE? There are 2 recessed bolts. And what is a belly housing bolt?
[Apologies for the dumb questions]

I assume 'Bell Housing'

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
All 4-cylinder non-AHU/1Z take the same oil pan and bolt. The bolt is really clever as it has an external 10mm hex and an internal 5mm hex so you can use either a short 10mm six-point socket on a wobble or a ball-end 5mm hex bit.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
All 4-cylinder non-AHU/1Z take the same oil pan and bolt. The bolt is really clever as it has an external 10mm hex and an internal 5mm hex so you can use either a short 10mm six-point socket on a wobble or a ball-end 5mm hex bit.
That's what I thought. Done mine 3 times, not sure what issue we're looking for here. Oki- Could you be looking at a different fastener?
[5mm ball end allen can be handy, mine was pretty easy with the 1/4" drive tools, 6" extension]

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
He’s not having trouble with the small hidden bolts. It’s the large ones that go through the transmission bell housing. Three of them.

Like Jetaah says they should be 16mm hex heads.

Could they be Torx heads, if they aren’t original? Maybe they aren’t triple squares.

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
Nope guys I figured it out it's a T55. It has 12 points so I thought it was a triple square I "borrowed" my shop managers T55 after finding a post on here mentioning it and bingo. So hopefully I can get my piston to Frank before the end of the week. Head's done he's just waiting on me.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
They are the same.

Oh right, the 3 horizontal bolts, big ones. Those OEM fasteners are hex head cap screws, 16mm head. No telling what else is going on in there if those have been swapped for Torx.

:D
I would bet, someone tried putting those big ones in after all the little ones and had some trouble.:)

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I would bet, someone tried putting those big ones in after all the little ones and had some trouble.
If the small bolts were all put in, how would they have had problems? The holes in the oil pan are just clearance holes for the larger HHCS.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
If the small bolts were all put in, how would they have had problems? The holes in the oil pan are just clearance holes for the larger HHCS.

Don't know, but someone I know may have had to loosen all of the little ones to get the big ones in. :mad:

:)

JETaah

TDI
If you use a gasket for the pan that will create fit issues with the big pan bolts. The gasket moves the pans hole centers down to create an interference with the bell housing. That's my experience.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
If you use a gasket for the pan that will create fit issues with the big pan bolts. The gasket moves the pans hole centers down to create an interference with the bell housing. That's my experience.
Weird, didn't know there was a gasket available.

I used Victor Reinz Reinzosil RTV in a tube.

JETaah

TDI
Weird, didn't know there was a gasket available.

I used Victor Reinz Reinzosil RTV in a tube.

Boy you sure do use RTV! You realize that 90% of what you put on there winds up inside or outside of the pan? Anyway...sorry to be a noodge.
Vendors are offering a gasket sometimes for some reason. Perhaps it works for a different application somewhere in the world but just causes problems here (ALH, BEW, BRM and maybe more).

Last edited:

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
Yeah well now the front bolt is rounded. I don't have a thin enough ratchet so I guess I'll borrow my buddies angle grinder to get it out.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Boy you sure do use RTV! You realize that 90% of what you put on there winds up inside or outside of the pan? Anyway...sorry to be a noodge.
Hahaha, no worries. I lost the applicator nozzle what came with the tube after my first oil pan replacement (basketball sized chunk of concrete) so I wasn't able to control the bead to my liking while doing my rear main seal / clutch. At least it was fairly even in size and I let it skin over well before installing, then waited 48 hours to refill.

This is one of the applications where you have to walk the middle path between the normal extremes. On one side you've got "A little dab'll do ya, a big blob will screw ya" and on the other side you've got "The bigger the gob the better the job".

One of these days I need to find a 3d print file and make a handful of disposable nozzles...

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Hahaha, no worries. I lost the applicator nozzle what came with the tube after my first oil pan replacement (basketball sized chunk of concrete) so I wasn't able to control the bead to my liking while doing my rear main seal / clutch. At least it was fairly even in size and I let it skin over well before installing, then waited 48 hours to refill.
This is one of the applications where you have to walk the middle path between the normal extremes. On one side you've got "A little dab'll do ya, a big blob will screw ya" and on the other side you've got "The bigger the gob the better the job".
One of these days I need to find a 3d print file and make a handful of disposable nozzles...
I had a big truck project I recently finished that required a bead of RTV for the timing housing cover to block, timing cover to housing, as well as some various other areas. I was really sick of the off the shelf parts store tubes not working correctly, dispensing too much or too little, or just plain not working therefore I couldn't use all the product.
I decided to spend the money on this "The Right Stuff" kit:

The gun works incredibly, you can control it, you can actually use the whole can. Made application a breeze. Too bad I waited so long to purchase it.

I used the same kind of gasket maker for my Golf hybrid pan which you need a bead between the aluminum housing of the pan and the block, as well as the steel portion of the pan to the housing. Worked great, sealed up perfect.

TDI
Mk4 Golf Bew Tdi
This forum sucks keeps erasing my post and jumping all around so its impossible for me to post. so real quick yes I have the same issue mine is a 12 mm triple square. Yes it is factory most have the 16 mm hex but if your unlucky like me then we got screwed. I used a matco specialty socket that removes rounded bolts it was the 5/8 socket I hammered it on and got 2 out. The issue is the one up top transmission is in the way so I cant hammer it. I might have to use a air hammer and hope it doesn't slip and hit something else to hammer the socket on. But I'm looking for a stubby 12mm triple square. Yes, Its a tight fit seems like a 11mm but I don't think they make 11mm triples. I might even try extractor and worse case cut off the bolt head and pan at that part and use a pair of pliers to remove the bolt after I have it off.
So I have all the bolts..even the recessed one loose however I don't know what size the belly housing bolts are seems to be an 11mm triple square but I can't find one for the life of me.
All the videos and everyone says its a 16mm hex but, I'm having the same issue as you. They are factory 12mm triple squares and with the transmission in the way I doubt anyone would have replaced them with these. These are from the factory that way

TDI
Mk4 Golf Bew Tdi
Nope guys I figured it out it's a T55. It has 12 points so I thought it was a triple square I "borrowed" my shop managers T55 after finding a post on here mentioning it and bingo. So hopefully I can get my piston to Frank before the end of the week. Head's done he's just waiting on me.
yes torx bits work on triple squares but an strip it out I'm glad it worked for you. but if you put the torx into the bolt you will see it does not hit all the points. Hopefully you changed the bolts to hex heads at reinstallation. Thats what I plan to do once I get mine off.

sagolfer

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI GLS
Just to add... I'm resealing my oil pan now and my Jetta also has the three M12 Triple Square (XZN) bolts - 2005 Jetta TDI MKIV A4 BEW 1.9 Tiptronic Transmisson

Would anyone know of the hex head bolt part number or specs that would fit?

I removed 2 of the bolts fine with a T55. However, on the third, the T55 felt like it was too loose a fit and I didn't want to strip it. I'm waiting on a Triple Square socket - I do have one - but, of course, it is a long shaft version and too long to fit.