03 Wagon....little cosmetics - Project cleanup

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd wagon and 02 01m sedan
Thanks to everyone for getting me this far.

I have 2 cosmetic items that I am working through:

1) It looks like someone either put on an 04 Sport Fender or a TDI Sport Emblem. Oddly enough, the other fender had the emblem but it was removed as evidenced by the remaining double sticky tape. I think that I'd like to keep the Sport Emblem as it helps deduct from this wagon's cosmetic issues but I can't seem to find an emblem that is the same size as this one on say Fleabay for example and I don't know if this one is genuine because it's measurements of 71mm wide and 14mm high are not commensurate with anything that I see for purchase. Further, I am *guessing* that the red part of the emblem is also faded.

Does anyone know where I can get a matching one of the above size and or where this emblem might have been purchased from?

2) I have a rear spoiler that is missing a chunk and the clearcoat is peeling off on it. It is an MSDesign Heckspoiler. I'd like to remove it but that adhesive on it looks brutal. I am a bit worried that it is hiding something underneath or that the adhesive could rip off the paint etc. Any pointers here?

Thanks.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Remove the spoiler. Most chemicals you might use to soften the glue would damage paint, but maybe heat would break it loose.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Try unhesive. But only after trying in a paint area out if sight to verify it will not harm the paint finish. I have also had luck with butter wax loosening paint splatter and glue residue with not harm to auto paint surfaces.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Isopropyl Alcohol works great for removing adhesive and not damaging paint.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried heat and it worked. Thanks everyone....BUT now I have a ton of adhesive etc. I am going to try the Isopropyl Alcohol/unhesive/goof off/wax and see what happens next I guess. I can't believe how much adhesive is left after spoiler removal. Fortunately, no major hidden items underneath the spoiler!

Does anyone know if there was any standard type of adhesive used under these particular spoilers? Looks like straight up silicone to me but wasn't sure.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried Isopropyl Alcohol, Gasoline, Goof Off and this mess is just stuck on there. I tried plastic razor blades which never seem to work out for me. All they do is scratch the paint, do nothing, and break in half.

Large area and not much time...

Last edited:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
That looks worse than just sticky residue, which is beyond the capabilities of Isopropyl Alcohol. Can you pick at it with your fingernails? I had to remove a 15 year old bumper sticker when I purchased my wagon and it literally flaked off in small bits. I had to periodically pick away at it until I eventually removed it. It was a PITA and made my fingers sore. I just worked at it in sessions.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
That looks worse than just sticky residue, which is beyond the capabilities of Isopropyl Alcohol. Can you pick at it with your fingernails? I had to remove a 15 year old bumper sticker when I purchased my wagon and it literally flaked off in small bits. I had to periodically pick away at it until I eventually removed it. It was a PITA and made my fingers sore. I just worked at it in sessions.
It's funny you mention the pick at it with fingernails. That's all that I could really do which seemed to matter. Heat gun and plastic razor blade dug into paint.

In the end, I pressure washed the whole area to bring high spots down. I did not damage to the paint with the pressure washer BUT the silicone has left ugly imprints and discoloration. I also purchased the eraser from Amazon.

Worst comes to worse, I will sand down with 400 grit and go to town with rattle can.

It won't be the first or last time! Thank God it's an old wagon with some cuts and bruises already.

Thanks.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Try lacquer thinner. It usually doesn't do intimidate damage to paint but will almost always take off all sorts of glues.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Try lacquer thinner. It usually doesn't do intimidate damage to paint but will almost always take off all sorts of glues.
I ended up using lacquer thinner. You are right. It did help soften things up...but in the end the Silicone was still hanging on with 600 grit.

Looks like I didn't really have much of a choice.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
At least if the guy had screwed it in, you could fill the screw holes with LEDs or something after taking it off. I mean, if you're breaking Mach 1 at the salt flats, can you really trust two-sided tape to hold down that spoiler?