03 tdi

Zacho

TDI
2015 GSW
A friend of mine has an 03 wagon. One of her glow plugs went out. They are telling her that she needs new glowplugs, harness, and ecu. Just wondering if she is getting taken for the proverbial ride.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Probably.

New ECU o_O

There are gurus in MI who can properly diagnose the problem.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
It sounds like "they" need to make a boat payment.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Zacho said:
A friend of mine has an 03 wagon. One of her glow plugs went out. They are telling her that she needs new glowplugs, harness, and ecu. Just wondering if she is getting taken for the proverbial ride.
Glowplugs-YES
Harness- Maybe
ECU- *** no way

First off you need to get the ECU scanned for CEL light and report the code here for us to help you further,and a little more infor on the car as well.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Does the car run? If yes the ECU is fine. Replacing all the glow is a proactive thing to do and yes I always replace them in sets.

I agree get the code and post it here. Lots of auto parts stores will scan it for you.

Zacho

TDI
2015 GSW
Well I guess the deal is this. They have quit making the Ceramic glow plugs. One went out so now they have to replace them all. Which according to the service post she needs to replace Plugs then remap the ecu and possibly replace the whole "plug module"? *** ever that is. So when she went to the dealer they told her they would simply change the plugs and download some new software to her computer. Instead of doing everything that VW suggested. So now so long as they are willing to sign off on that she's happy. Thanks for the help guys.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Yup. Steel glowplugs in the 03. No ceramic. No remap needed.

They are lying thru their teeth. Tell her to run away very fast.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Leland Michigan is not close to any of the gurus. But for the money she can save, it would be worth driving a few hours.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
In nearby Traverse City is a forums member, I cannot remember his name right now though. He's not a guru, but might be able to do the GP and harness swap, if needed.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I'd suspect most of us could figure out how to deal with the gp swap in a pre-pd.

If she were to spend some time here, she could take care of this issue.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Leland MI is 51 miles from Kalkaska MI, according to MapQuest. Not far at all.

Zacho: send your friend to Mark of Diesel.

Zacho

TDI
2015 GSW
Thanks

Thanks guys. I'll call her tomorrow and tell her to get on it. Shes only about 30 miles from there when she's at work.