03 TDI - fluttering noise when accelerating, low power

micahdsmith

TDI
Mk4 TDI
I'm struggling to find out what's happening here.

I'm new to this TDI, bought it dirt cheap. Don't know it's history.

Did the brakes, and have driven it for 3 months to feel it out.

EGR was spitting oil something fierce. So, removed and cleaned the EGR and drained the intercooler and wiped it out. Maybe 1/5 of a cup of oil in it.

Now I'm hearing a flapping/fluttering like noise that seems to be around the EGR area. Noise is loud when under load, about 2200 to 3500 rpm. Seems quieter and happens later when in the driveway in neutral.

Sound stops if I let off gas pedal.

Video :

I've been looking for an air leak around all the clamps and seals of the egr and intercooler house I took off and tightened them but haven't solved it. If anyone can direct me in the right way to go, that'd be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Sounds like an exhaust leak. Did you reuse or replace the egr piping gaskets (the metal ones) and did you make sure everything was lined up properly? These gaskets can be a real pain to seal up sometimes.

micahdsmith

TDI
Mk4 TDI
Definitely reused the gasket. Bought new O-ring but not the gasket to the egr cooler. I also had trouble getting everything lined up. Thanks for the tip, I'll dive back in there.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Just a word of advice, you might need to loosen the cooler along with the pipe that goes from exhaust manifold to cooler to get the little pipe to align correctly. Shouldn't need to remove completely, but just loosen.

micahdsmith

TDI
Mk4 TDI
Ended up doing a DIY EGR cooler delete.

I used the pieces of the existing pipe, and sandwiched sheet metal and new gaskets to create the block offs. The EGR is still there, and the anti-shudder valve (ASV) still functions.

macleanmark

TDI
2.0 gt 170
Can anyone help me I have a air sound while accelerating and now sounds like a blown exhaust and loss of power

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Can anyone help me I have a air sound while accelerating and now sounds like a blown exhaust and loss of power
Generally best to start a new thread than hijack another.
Maybe one of the boost tubes popped off or came loose?
Or the boost hose just popped. Only time I hear air sound is when there's a hole in a body hose. Tricky to find on the small hoses at the intercooler.
Blown exhaust is just louder with a possibility of increased power.
Definitely tune to inspect the boost hoses until you find what's going on.