03 standard wouldnt go into 1st gear, then wouldnt go to neutral. clutch?

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
03 TDI jetta standard, 280,000km (210,000 miles or so). I tow a light trailer and dirtbike with it the last 60,000km.

today, the car wouldnt go into 1st while running and the clutch depressed. I turned the car off, put it in 1st, and started it and the car lurked forward when the clutch was in. it was also very hard to get into 2nd gear, then very hard to get back into neutral. when it was running, it would not go into first at all from neutral. no matter how hard I fought it.

so I brought it home and now its normal again. but it does that once in a while. what could it be?

I ordered a Lux 17-050 clutch + flywheel today for like $220USD.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
03 TDI jetta standard, 280,000km (210,000 miles or so). I tow a light trailer and dirtbike with it the last 60,000km.

today, the car wouldnt go into 1st while running and the clutch depressed. I turned the car off, put it in 1st, and started it and the car lurked forward when the clutch was in. it was also very hard to get into 2nd gear, then very hard to get back into neutral. when it was running, it would not go into first at all from neutral. no matter how hard I fought it.

so I brought it home and now its normal again. but it does that once in a while. what could it be?

I ordered a Lux 17-050 clutch + flywheel today for like $220USD.
You have rust on input shaft and what it does clutch disk get stuck, very common in north side with cold winters . Since you have 280000 km on it best thing is to replace clutch which you already order it .
Make sure you clean with metal brush input shaft and put little grease that comes with clutch kit , do not put to much , just little bit on teeth of shaft all way around.

noob_tl

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 NB
It was a non-VW car, but my son had this happen. It turned out to be a broken spring from the friction disc got lodged in the pressure plate and wouldn't allow the clutch to disengage. It was obvious when we dropped the trans. I suspect you'll have an immediate answer when you pull your transmission...

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
zero preventative maintenance done in 18 years and 280,000km. its still going fine, I hauled a bike trailer 550km today with it. it does get real tricky to put into 1st sometimes though, and then when I do... and im sitting at a light in 1st with the clutch pressed in, the car lurks forward.

its been good the last few days though. clutch delivery was attempted today.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Sounds like the clutch pressure plate isn't releasing. Any number of reasons - clutch fork is bending, diaphragm spring is cracked, come to mind.

FWIW, there is no preventative maintenance for this stuff. Your clutch goes out - you replace it.

Let us know what you find. I plan on doing mine over Memorial Day weekend - same DMF clutch purchased.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
one morning I couldnt get into 1st when the car was running, so I turned the car off, put it in 1st, then tried to fire the car up and it jumped forward as it the clutch wasnt even pressed in.

it shifted bad for a few gears then has been decent again since.

the new clutch showed up. it wont be in for a few weeks but the car wont get used much when im at work.

the guy said about $500 for install. 6 hours or so?

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Not sure, I haven't done mine yet. Recommendations are to replace the pivot ball and clutch fork while you're in there.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The additional things I replace when I’m doing a clutch. The pivot pin and clip is a must. The clutch arm and the rear seal as well. All are listed here in this link to the pivot.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
awesome thanks guys. I was wondering what other little parts I needed too.

I couldnt find the clutch fork on idparts. but seems as though I should buy this package instead as it has all 3?

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
awesome thanks guys. I was wondering what other little parts I needed too.

I couldnt find the clutch fork on idparts. but seems as though I should buy this package instead as it has all 3?

Here's the clutch release lever - my mistake for calling it a fork. (too used to working on other cars) https://www.idparts.com/clutch-release-lever-a3b4a4a5-brm-02j141719c-p-1461.html

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Some say if its not leaking leave it, I like to change mine though but if you've already ordered I'd probably leave it as long as it's not leaking.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Rear main seal was $51. Just ordered it.
$340 for clutch
$160 in extra. $500 so far plus $5-600 install.
$1100 cad sound right? $7-800usd?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I havnt. Seems like it’s a $100 seal and is tricky to install properly and has a certain procedure?
Not tricky, when you get the seal you will notice on opening the box a plastic disk that helps the seal keep its shape in the box. Leave the disk alone do not remove it. That disk is also your install tool. The seal itself is made of Teflon.

When you are ready to install the seal, with the old one removed. Completely clean the mounting surface I use dollar store rubbing alcohol. Also clean the end of the crankshaft that the Teflon will be touching, again with the alcohol.Wipe all the oil off that area of the crankshaft. Then position the new seal with that plastic disk touching the end of the crank. When you are certain you have it lined up give the seal a push with your hands. The disk will pop off onto the floor and your seal will be perfectly installed. It’s extremely easy to do. Once the new seal is bolted into place do not move the crankshaft for four hours. Which is about how long it will take the average Joe working off jackstands and laying on his back to finish installing the transmission.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Fluid level I believe is fine. It’s the break fluid reservoir isn’t it?

clutch acted up again the other day going camping. But coming home and then a 5 hour round trip to the city it was fine 🤷‍♀️

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fluid level I believe is fine. It’s the break fluid reservoir isn’t it?

clutch acted up again the other day going camping. But coming home and then a 5 hour round trip to the city it was fine 🤷‍♀️

Yes the brake and clutch share the same fluid resivor via a small tap on the right (drivers) side of the plastic resivor.