'03 Jetta tdi Sedan muffler issue

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
Muffler is shot, falling apart, wired up for now, as hanger is gone too Wisconsin winter weather and salt over time.

Does any vendor make a pipe to replace from intermediate pipe out back where muffler is? I think the piece before the muffler is an intermediate pipe.

or you folks going to a shop and having pipes bent to go there?

Been looking, have not found anything yet on Google.

155k on car, all original, so it's about time something rusted out.

Thanks for ideas.

couleetdi

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Take a look at this: https://www.idparts.com/complete-exhaust-system-a4-p-5678.html

That's a complete exhaust, but the pieces are all available separately. The segments of replacement exhausts are a little different from the original, because the original is installed before the rear axle. Most people don't want to drop the rear axle to replace the exhaust, so the replacement is in three pieces, not two. But you could cut yours at the appropriate spot and fit a new muffler.

I'd take a look at the flex pipe up near the turbo and the downpipe near the catalytic converter, too. Common areas to rust through.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I recommend going to a muffler shop where they build and weld from generic components.

I have a local guy that I use and every time I look up anything to do with exhaust he can install it for the parts price I find online, or less.
He, himself, said that's not always true; however, it's generally pretty close and I don't have to do the work.
Actually I just had him do a 2.5" cat back straight pipe for $75 installed, find that price online!

The oval straight through 2.5" muffler he quoted $120 installed and I can get it from ID for the same, however, that's not installed...

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Problem most shops use mild steel which will rust out in a year or two. You sure the muffler is rotted? They are made from high quality stainless and mine still looks like brand new even after almost 20 years. The flexpipe and the pipe right after the cat are common failure points .

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
Finally got completely under car, no rain for few days but snow is coming.

Weld area behind cat rotted out bad, three holes in muffler, two on back side, about quarter size, one in front by incoming pipe. So for now, muffler putty and muffler bandage on bad spots.

Car has seldom had short drives, as I live in country 10 miles from town, but 15.5 years of aging does catch up. most of the exhaust hangers are rusted and totted too. Damn wisconsin sald does catch up over time. turbo to cat looked ok, probably because of skid plate protecting it. Just put tires on wifes subie and did I did brakes and rotors all around, so this will wait a month.

Thanks for all your ideas an suggestions.

coulee