03 Jetta tdi caliper slide pin help

Tvizzy

TDI
2003 vw Jetta tdi
So on the driver front the caliper pin won’t torque down on the bottom one but the top one does. Stores are closed, can I drive it with one torqued and one semi tight? I drive 62 miles one way for work and it’s my only transportation..

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Can you put a helicoil in it? They make an oversized caliper pin you can find at autozone, I’ve found it’s good for about one use though and then it needs to be permanently fixed.

Tvizzy

TDI
2003 vw Jetta tdi
Can you put a helicoil in it? They make an oversized caliper pin you can find at autozone, I’ve found it’s good for about one use though and then it needs to be permanently fixed.
as in I should buy a new knuckle and all? I plan On putting a helicoil in there today. Is that a more permanent solution or next brake change I should still replace the knuckle?

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
There are a couple of old threads either in the a4 or 101 forum sections that have quite a bit of info on this. If you can get a helicoil in there straight/solid many have had that work fine for years.

Here's one but some of the older ones have much more info:

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you can get the helicoil in there and you're completely happy with it, then I would go with that, if on the other hand you can't get it right to your satisfaction I would just replace the knuckle.

idparts has loaded knuckles.

Tvizzy

TDI
2003 vw Jetta tdi
If you can get the helicoil in there and you're completely happy with it, then I would go with that, if on the other hand you can't get it right to your satisfaction I would just replace the knuckle.

idparts has loaded knuckles.
Thanks for the tip. I’m going to try the helicoil after work and see if it can’t get it right the first time if not I’ll order the parts.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I am completely lost here, I am thinking of the frame that the pads slide in that the caliper bolts into where is the knuckle you are talking about?