03 Jetta rolls back on a hill ???

fourwarner

TDI
2003 Jetta
Recently, when parking on a hill our 2003 Jetta with 80,000 miles will roll back like the engine has low compression. It runs just fine and has plenty of power. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem ?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Recently, when parking on a hill our 2003 Jetta with 80,000 miles will roll back like the engine has low compression. It runs just fine and has plenty of power. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem ?
Your parking brake is not being applied or the cables are tooefed.

fourwarner

TDI
2003 Jetta
Yeah, I know!

This is happening when the parking brake is not set. It doesn't have to be on much of a grade to cause the car to roll. It is something that has just started within the past month.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, I know!

This is happening when the parking brake is not set. It doesn't have to be on much of a grade to cause the car to roll. It is something that has just started within the past month.
Why are you not setting the brake????? :cool:

fourwarner

TDI
2003 Jetta
I think you're missing the point of the question. Is there any reason the engine would not hold the car on a slight grade ?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Set your parking brake. It's there for a reason.

As for the car moving while in gear, your clutch could be slipping, although I find that pretty unlikely as you would notice this while driving (unless you absolutely granny it everywhere and/or don't know what clutch slip feels like).

If it were down on compression, it would be hard to start, would be smokey, or would idle rough.

If the compression leak is so slow that it takes a while to bleed down to the point that the car rolls, then there's nothing you can really do about it aside from having it rebuilt or... you guessed it, use your parking brake! :eek:

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
And if the parking brake is toofed, untoof it. Or, if for some inexplicable reason you don't want to do that, get a pair of wheel chocks.

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Why are you not setting the brake????? :cool:
Old farmer's habit. I pretty much only use mine if I leave the car idling. Mine holds on a hill just fine. I would check the compression just for kicks.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
mine would roll back when it was new if the hill was steep enough.
set your................no wait ..

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I always leave mine in 1st though. If you use a higher gear it will roll easier.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Failure to communicate!

Is is an Auto or 5 speed?
Is it in park, engine off?
Is it in gear, engine off?
Is it in Drive, engine running?
Is it in 1st gear, engine running, clutch out?
Is it in 1st gear, engine running, clutch in?

We need MORE INFO!!!

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
And a defective parking brake. Because it's either inoperative or the driver is.

=^)
why is everybody so anal retentive about using the parking brake? I have driven manual trannys for 31 years and have virtually never used the parking brake when parking and have never had a mishap.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I also think not using the parking brake strains the transmission and possibly the mounts and CV joints if the car is on a hill.

I have a friend that does the opposite: He leaves his Golf in neutral (a 5-speed) and only uses the parking brake. I mentioned to him that was a BAD idea. In gear and parking brake used.

--Nate

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
I would do a simple compression test to see what is up just out of curiosity.

If there is enough of a grade to overcome the resistance of the tires, friction in the drivetrain, transmission and engine, then the ONLY thing left are the pistons and the pressure in the cylinder. Since the pressure will slowly leak, your car will slowly roll..... ie.. USE THE BRAKE...:D

At least you know you have very little resistance in the drivetrain... good for mileage #'s;)

Bellyman

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon 5-speed
The only question I can think of is, are you parking it in the same gear you always were?

First gear will hold a lot better than fifth gear. (I don't know where reverse fits in.) Basically, the slower you go in a given gear per engine revolution, the better that gear will hold you when you're parked.

I will confess that I do not always use the parking brake when I'm on flat ground. But understand that I spent a considerable amount of time in FLAT south Louisiana. Once I was away from that area, I became much more accustomed to pulling the parking brake.

If I think it would roll at all without the parking brake, I set it. Makes me feel better, especially in my old F350, which has been known to slip out of gear a few times... but that's another story.

Brian

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I carry a railroad tie in the trunk so I can chock the wheels, since I don't use the parking brake.*

* I am of course joking.

Last edited:

jrip

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Blue, TOTALED, Jetta, 2002, Green
I always use the parking brake and never leave it in gear. If I am on such a steep grade that I am afraid the parking brake won't hold it, I turn the wheels in such a way that they use the curb as a chock.

Let me try this on for size. Mechanical injection pump, no spark plugs required, is it possible for a diesel engine to start running if the engine were to turn over, as in higher gear and steep hill?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
jrip said:
Let me try this on for size. Mechanical injection pump, no spark plugs required, is it possible for a diesel engine to start running if the engine were to turn over, as in higher gear and steep hill?
Not if the shutoff solenoid is functioning properly. (If it's bypassed or stuck open, however...)

(Although, theoretically, if there's something causing oil to enter the engine, and the hill is long enough, it could run on that.)