03 Golf worth fixing (fuel injector pump leaking)?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
18 ft lbs is not much I would characterize it as snug+. While you're working on adjusting the timing snug is good, after you get the timing set where you want it then you could use the torque wrench. That's how I did it last time, previously I had just been content with a bit over snug but I have a torque wrench so occasionally I try and use it.

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Well you shouldn't need a torque wrench. What I do for stuff not accessible is clamp my torque wrench in a vise, simulate length, feel pressure for xx ft/lbs then do it with the tool that reaches. Don't want to mislead you, but they're not the most critical bolts on the car. You do want to make sure they're not the factory pulley bolts, as those are one time use.
18 ft lbs is not much I would characterize it as snug+. While you're working on adjusting the timing snug is good, after you get the timing set where you want it then you could use the torque wrench. That's how I did it last time, previously I had just been content with a bit over snug but I have a torque wrench so occasionally I try and use it.
Thanks for the tips guys! I just want to make sure they won't come loose once I get the timing set, but since this is my first experience with this process I just wasn't sure how critical they are. I'll see if I can get a torque wrench in the space, otherwise I'll just make sure their good and snug.

I would expect it's not the factory pulley bolts at this point as this is the second injector pump in the car.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Keep in mind that the torque unit of "ft-lbs." describes *exactly* what it is. In this case, imagine a 18lb. weight on a one-foot long lever (ratchet, wrench, whatever; or probably more typical of a ratchet or wrench in that area, a 36lb weight on a 6"(½ft) lever.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
You need to find another shop. Not only does DFIS do good work, but get in touch with burn_your_money here;

Giles is legendary.
Thanks for the mention.

I used to work at a fuel shop. Bosch expects seals to last around 15 years. They obviously aren't warrantied that long, but that's the expected life of them. The switch to ULSD did shorten that. Running alternative fuels also effects how long they last, as does switching back and forth between fuels (Bio to ULSD and back and forth etc)

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Ok, I was able to working setting the timing finally. I should have kept count of how many attempts it took before I finally got lucky, but it was a LOT haha!

I think it's pretty darn close. Not sure why VCSD says the engine isn't warm because it definitely was; I made sure to drive it around first (ran an errand).

Anyway, still no leaks on the pump after the re-seal that I can tell. I'm pretty thrilled. A huge thank you to all that chimed in to give me advice and tips! You not only saved me a lot of money, but probably saved my car too.