02M six speed drive flange to transmission bolt torque

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Helping a friend reassemble his 03 TDI wagon with a trans from a 1.8T Beetle. Anyone know the torque spec for the long bolt that holds the drive flange to the transmission? We think it's 18 lb/ft, but we are not sure. Thanks as usual.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
torque axles at the trans flanges (pre-tighten diagonally to 10Nm/7.5ft-lb then 70Nm/52ft-lb) using the same method as the removal.

Why are you installing a gasser 02m in that TDI? The gearing is wrong for a diesel.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Not the axle to flange, the flange to the transmission, the looong single bolt. He bought it that way, he loves it with the gearing, he tracks it all the time. Motor is built and he just put a limited slip in it.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Thanks for the help, it's 18 lb/ft. We've got bigger problems. One drive flange went on fine. The bolt for the other one looked like it had damaged threads and I found some debris in the threads. Looks like somebody over torqued the flange at some point. The threads on the bolt were a little damaged and we ran a thread cleaner over the bolt. I told him to get a new bolt. Not sure what we do if the threads in the transmission are damaged, any ideas?

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Any way to get a helicoil in there? If the transmission is out of the car, I'm sure that'd be do-able; with it in the car.....tough to see what you're doing and not totally destroy what you're threading into.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Transmission is back in the car, lots easier to get them in and out without the flanges, helicoil is the only thing I can think of too. The bolt will thread in by hand without the flange. It feels a little rough going in though. I'm thinking clean up the first few threads with a male thread cleaner on an extension and then try to install the new bolt. I'll update this.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Put it back together with a new bolt. Ran thread cleaner tap into the hole in transmission, put Loctite on the bolt and threaded it in until it bottomed. The flange was pushed in by a stick between the flange and the strut, so that took the spring pressure off the bolt. When the bolt bottomed and we went to torque it and it felt kind of mushy, so we quit short of 18 lb/ft. Don't know if it will hold, does anyone know if the drive flange can pull completely out of the transmission or screw up the splines in the transmission if the flange bolt pulls out or does it just cause a leak?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Oy - that sounds sketchy. *Maaaaaybe* I see if I can get away with that on my car, knowing the risks, but I'd never do it on someone else's car.
As to the risk: hitting a pothole and having the driveshaft and flange get separated from the transmission at freeway speed - that's probably the worst-case (and not completely improbable) outcome.

And as I think about it more....as much hassle as it is to take out the transmission again and figure out how to do a thread repair in there....that's the only way I'd sleep well at night.