Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Genuine vw fluid

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Mine has 475k miles on her but still shifts nice and all syncros work well.
At 475k miles and still shifting good indicates that the transmission has been serviced often. So, since you are asking the question it is likely you've not owned the car since it was new. Typically, 5th gear is the one that suffers with high mileage and/or neglect.

As has been suggested, Pennzoil synchromesh is a good choice. I use it in my 03 Jetta at 272k miles. Also, I put it in my formerly owned 2000 Jetta (son owns it now) with 383k on it.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I bought it with 132 on the clock. I ran syncromesh then redline mt90. Ill most likely arick with redline since its a step up from vw

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Best is a bad way to think about it
All fluids that meet or exceed spec will do just fine. And when you factor in the cost... that is more i.portant than the brand or whatever.
The most important thing is service and doing it frequently and keeping the seals on these transmissions shift tower in good health.

Forget "what is best"
Get the stuff that is good but on sale. Do it more often.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Agree with above. Changing trans oil is just as easy as changing your engine oil. No excuse to not do it frequently

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Agree with above. Changing trans oil is just as easy as changing your engine oil. No excuse to not do it frequently
I regret not chasing mine with every oil change! Lol
The shift tower bearing and seal are critical hit areas. So much rusty water gets in this way! The cup on my o2j was basically almost rusted though! Also the ball bearing selecter bolt is impossible to source so keeping it healthy is worth the value of a trans swap.
Change that seal and then oil every 30k!