02J shift tower bushing replacement.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
First let me start off with I am trying to convert my 99.5 style shifter to a later style shifter.

I bought a shifter assy. off another member here for really cheap, but it needs a total rebuild. The bushing is beyond shot.

I was talking to TDICADDGUY about it and he tried to replace the bushing with no luck. He said it's nearly impossible.

You can follow his thread here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=255720

I have rebuild several motorcycle engines in the past and know a little about pressing out old bearings.

First off here's the tower assy.:

Here is the worn out bushing. Absolutely nasty. There were BB's everywhere under the gunk.:

First I tried to break the bushing out. That didn't get me too far. Then looking at the top, I noticed a lip under where the seal goes. I took a finishing nail set, and carefully gave the lip a couple good whacks. The bushing came right out. :D

I was so happy unit I saw the inside of the bracket where the bushing was. I nearly threw up when I seen it. There was a HUGE crack going threw it. :mad: It goes up and down with the bushing. Looks like it's been there a while too.

In addition, the chrome on the shaft is pitted, rusted and missing.:mad:

Do you guys think it would hold up if I simply put a new bushing in there? Or did I just buy a piece of scrap metal?:( I am kinda leaning toward putting a new bushing in there and seeing what happens.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm...pretty quiet. Guess nobody really cares?

Anyway, went to the stealer today to pick up some parts. Well, that was a disaster! He kept brining up a 02M illustration that looks completely different. I got the bearing though and he ordered the top seal for me.

But now I still need the bushing for the horizontal pivot and the clip that goes on the end. I also need the backup light switch connector. If anybody had these part numbers, please let me know. I am going crazy with this thing.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I bit the bullet and bought a good one off vortex. Bearing was like new inside but it was missing the backup light switch. So I took the switch from the cracked one and put in on the new one.I also took some other parts off that the vortex one was missing.

Now I finally have one complete, working shift tower. Wasn't exactly easy to say the least...

Starkey

TDI
1992 B3 Syncro Passat TDI GT2256v winter beater
i realize this is from a year ago too lol
i replaced my trans with an 99.5 and they have different cable ends and shift tower so it is probably easier for me to swap the stuff from my 2001 but i could not get the shifter tower off of the 2001's tranny... fail!! any help would be much appreciated guys!
looking at the pictures i am starting to think it has to be that little lever thing..maybe?

-Dale

nkfry

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI
I'm getting ready to replace this bearing, is there anything special I need to know prior to getting started? Like locking the shifter in the "home" position or anything?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Just put the gears in neutral before pulling the selector out, also you can hacksaw the bearing shell lengthways with a blade to get it out, new one in using a vice and all is good. My shaft was in a bit of a poorish state but with the new bearing in my gears a lot nicer.

nkfry

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI
Okay sweet, I should have a new bearing/bushing, relay lever and TT short shifter by tomorrow and was hoping it would be as straight forward as it looks. :)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Yeh it's not to bad, the shift lever thing only fits one way on the shaft so that's easy, you can just follow the dieselgeek vid for resetting the linkage after too, I found getting to the two 13mm bolts the most awkward part lol

nkfry

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI
Just got the bearing replaced and short shifter installed, I had a hell of a time with the bearing. I'm glad I'll only need to do it once.

Last edited:

gtmorgan89

TDI
02 MK4 Golf
I just did this little job today. I was hoping that It would fix a 3rd gear sloppy grind. Without a doubt my shifting is much smoother but 3rd gear is still grindy. Any more ideas before I start looking for a new trans?

Bailout

TDI
2000 Jetta Tdi
I just did this little job today. I was hoping that It would fix a 3rd gear sloppy grind. Without a doubt my shifting is much smoother but 3rd gear is still grindy. Any more ideas before I start looking for a new trans?
Change the fluid?

That fixed my third gear grind... Took several hundred miles fore new fluid to 'coat' everything though.

Brian
iPad forum junkie

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Get rid of the spongy soft shift ends. Get some 42DD or a short shift kit from dieselgeek.

TDI
I'm trying to reinstall the shift tower assembly back into the trans. It's in neutral, so I am able to push down and pull up on the assembly. I am able to slide the rod into the trans and the cup will also seat properly, but the top cover holes do not line up with the holes on the trans. I'm scared to twist the assembly and somehow knock it into a gear that I can't get back out of.

In your experience, should the assembly slide down into the trans and the holes will match up? I've seen another post somewhere that said install the assembly first and then the cover, but I don't see how that's possible since there's a slight twist to attach the two pieces.

Any thoughts?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I'm trying to reinstall the shift tower assembly back into the trans. It's in neutral, so I am able to push down and pull up on the assembly. I am able to slide the rod into the trans and the cup will also seat properly, but the top cover holes do not line up with the holes on the trans. I'm scared to twist the assembly and somehow knock it into a gear that I can't get back out of.
In your experience, should the assembly slide down into the trans and the holes will match up? I've seen another post somewhere that said install the assembly first and then the cover, but I don't see how that's possible since there's a slight twist to attach the two pieces.
Any thoughts?
you can install them as one assembly, just make sure the detent ball is on the center rib of the shift shaft detent cup before you insert the shift tower into the trans

TDI
you can install them as one assembly, just make sure the detent ball is on the center rib of the shift shaft detent cup before you insert the shift tower into the trans

when i try to install it in the center, neutral, position, the holes don't line up. i just tried lining up the shaft key to the front and the holes to match. it definitely wasn't the correct position, but it did seat properly. i had reverse, although a bit clunky, and the middle position gate. it didn't pull up. I knew it was wrong, but that's the only way i can see it going in properly. going to take it back out now and regroup...again.

thanks for any help.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
if it's truly on the center rib holes will line up every time, do these all the time and have done multiple dozens... make sure your not centering the rib on the reverse switch...

here's another trick... line up neutral on the tower housing and shaft, push in a bit farther and lock the shift adjustment pin in place ... this will insure you have it in the neutral position, then install in the trans... no guess work required ;)

Last edited:

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
I posted some of this in my first TDI project thread.
But it seems like the info would be better placed here.
Might get an answer to my rubber washer question.

Took the shift tower off.
Damn that was just as nasty as some of the pics I've seen.
Rust and grime,.. inside a trany? Damn.
And almost no race left to remove:

Nothing to grab so I tacked some welds to the inside.
It was in there so good the tacks would break off and take some race with them,.. for awhile.
Finally got it to start moving.

New bearings and seal installed.
There was no sign of the old bearings or cage when I opened it.
I stuck my magnet way down inside trany and nothing came back with it.

I didn't know what the little right angle lever was for so I pulled the tower off separately.
Is that lever called the "shift adjustment pin" in post #16 of this thread?

There was a rubber washer in the kit I got.
Where does that go?

This missing bearing might be why 5th gear disappeared.
If I'm lucky.
Either way the fluid was nasty.
That'll need changed.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Looks like the rubber washer goes on the shaft
before the bearing and top are slid over the shaft.
It seals the bearing from the bottom.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Can someone state the actual means for removing the bearing? Tower I have isn't rusted (it's pretty clean).

Does the seal install from the top of the **** tower?

Order of pieces, top down: Seal, rubber washer then the bearing?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Not going to look back on this job! What a PITA. I used a Dremel sanding drum (small), three of them, to cut away enough material that I could bend and snap off some of the shell metal: this is from the bottom edge. I used a chisel from the top to catch the slight lip (lip on either end to keep bearing cage in place) and was able to start driving it out. Used a screwdriver and hammer on the top lip (once it was exposed enough) to get it the rest of the way out.

The ordering top to bottom of the bits: seal, bearing and then rubber washer. The rubber washer actually installs over the shaft.

There wasn't anything apparently wrong with this shift tower. I was transferring it to a new (rebuilt) transmission and thought that now was the time to do this.

Oh yeah, someone was dead sold on heating up the tower in the oven and that the bearing would just about fall out. DON'T even waste your time. Didn't do squat for me, and from what I've read one or two other people have tried with the same poor result.

Last edited:

GeorgeZ

TDI
2000 Jetta
I swapped the entire shift tower assembly from a MKIV Jetta gasser 5-speed...works great!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Not going to look back on this job! What a PITA. I used a Dremel sanding drum (small), three of them, to cut away enough material that I could bend and snap off some of the shell metal: this is from the bottom edge. I used a chisel from the top to catch the slight lip (lip on either end to keep bearing cage in place) and was able to start driving it out. Used a screwdriver and hammer on the top lip (once it was exposed enough) to get it the rest of the way out.

The ordering top to bottom of the bits: seal, bearing and then rubber washer. The rubber washer actually installs over the shaft.

There wasn't anything apparently wrong with this shift tower. I was transferring it to a new (rebuilt) transmission and thought that now was the time to do this.

Oh yeah, someone was dead sold on heating up the tower in the oven and that the bearing would just about fall out. DON'T even waste your time. Didn't do squat for me, and from what I've read one or two other people have tried with the same poor result.
Yeah, it's a royal PITA to get the bushing sleeve out of there. There is no easy way to get something in from behind to push the sleeve out. I did like you and cut on that sleeve to weaken it.

Reward that job with a beer.