02J rebuild

TDI4MI

TDI
00 GOLF ALH 1.9 TDI MKIV
Any recommendations on trans work?

My golf has 238k and unknown on previous work. I had some issues shifting into gears. Pretty nudgy. I did a replacement of slider, shaft bushings and adjusting the shift cables...helped just a tad. Shift into gear fine when car is not running. Reverse doesn't grind when slowly engaging, so I am thinking the clutch is fine, since its not synchronized. So I am assuming at this point the syncro. Never rebuilt one, and dont have the time to do so. Otherwise would take a stab. Hoping for a recommendation in Michigan or nearby state.

Thanks!

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I would try changing the oil before you do anything. You will be amazed, Penzoil or AC Delco Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid. Easy to do 3 quarts is all you need and it will shift like new.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I think Richard (CoolAirVW) is located in MI; he's an automatic transmission savant, but also deals with just about anything VW related.
(Edit: My bad - he's in Kansas City; I was sure there was someone in the vendor forum who's based in MI. Maybe take a look through there.)

That said, $30 and an hour or so of your time gets new fluid in to see if that helps. I used OEM VW fluid with my new (to me; 300K km) transmission and no complaints. It was cheaper than the Synchromesh that I could find locally, so that's what I went with.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Unless the transmission has been significantly abused, you shouldn't have trouble at that mileage. As recommended above, change the gear oil and see if it improves. I recommend Pennzoil Synchromesh. Solves all kinds of problems.

I

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Which Pennzoil Syncromesh is the "right" one? I had put some in the 02M in a previous car, and it was great; then couldn't find that same bottle again and got some different stuff....which was not.