02J manual tranny oil what do you like?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I've changed several times my tranny oil but I find the OEM oil to be too thin on viscosity almost to the point that looks like Virgin cooking oil, I changed my oil about 4 days ago with Red Line and it's got better viscosity it sures feels like it is better oil than OEM now that i drive her, I also have 5 liters of Amsoil which I haven't tried yet, my other ALH will experiment with that oil in the future, what do you guys think about comparison, I think Amsoil and Red Line are Synthetic oils, do not know about OEM oil, for heat and endurance I would probably vouch for the Amsoil & Red line, I need to get your input on them and tell me what you guys prefer in your trannies

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
There is a really long thread about this somewhere on TDIClub, with extensive testing. I think the consensus was that the OEM fluid had the best characteristics across a broad range of metrics.

Don't overthink it.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Whatever you use, make sure it’s GL-4. I used to live in a cold weather state, and while the OEM was good for winter due to it having a thin viscosity, it was very notchy in the summer. I switched to a mix of Amzoil MTG and Syncromesh, which are both GL-4.

This is what can result if you use a GL-5 “backwards compatible” gear oil.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I just filled with Redline mtl-lv and shockproof lightweight mixed per Cascade Germans recommendation.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
And shockproof lightweight? What is this product and what is supposed to do?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
And shockproof lightweight? What is this product and what is supposed to do?
Superlight shockproof. It is chunky and has solids in the bottle. It’s like an oil/grease emulsion.

You mix it 50/50 with MT-LV

I am the pioneer of this blend, first tried it about 4 years ago. I’ve put it it 3 different 02Js and it helps smooth out shifting on high mileage transmissions.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
No matter which oil you use, somewhere beyond 300,000 miles the 5th gear Slider and Hub will be amazingly worn. I've seen it a number of times. It is just the nature of the beast. Eventually, it will begin to jump out of 5th gear. FWIIW, the 5th gear from a gassera transmission will work. The ratio is about half way between 4th and 5th of the TDI transmission ......... it is a good substitute until you find a replacement set.

Of late, I've been using Pennzoil Synchromesh in my 2003 Jetta, in my son's 2000 Jetta and my 84 Vanagon with the 02 ALH engine. At something over 300k miles, the Slider/Hub in the 2000 Jetta bit the dust. Then, recently at 388k miles the splines on the replacement Hub stripped out. All of these engines are stock.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 02Js suffer from getting low on oil. Keep them topped up. Amazing how many I get in here that are not a regular car I see, and are .5+ liter low. They only hold 2 liters... so a little low is enough to damage them, and the first stuff that gets it is the stuff out in the 5th gear area.

I use an OEM type fluid, lots of brands (Liquimoly, Motul, etc.) that are synthetic GL4 75w90 labeled. I see lots of these with over 400k miles on them, still working perfectly fine.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Volkswagen (the dealers) have a habit of stopping selling older products like that, but you can still get the original type stuff from other sources. And some of the aftermarket brands, when you type in either the G-060 number or the G-070 number, it goes to the same product.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Oil starvation on the 5th, need to drill holes so you get proper lubrication there although there is nothing you can do when oil is low

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
My fifth gear lasted until 480k just swapped in a new old stock 02j and filled with mt-lv and superlight shockproof.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I've read somewhere that they even use synthetic motor oil in the tranny, to what extend I don't know, maybe to drive the car for a few thousand miles and do a flush to clean the tranny

k1rod

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Red
Whatever you use, make sure it’s GL-4. I used to live in a cold weather state, and while the OEM was good for winter due to it having a thin viscosity, it was very notchy in the summer. I switched to a mix of Amzoil MTG and Syncromesh, which are both GL-4.

This is what can result if you use a GL-5 “backwards compatible” gear oil.

Ouch. I would love to have seen an oil analysis on that!

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Just overfill through the reverse port and you should be fine on going the distance.

Though I don’t like that Synchromesh feel in my ALH. The BRM seems to be just fine.

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
The 02Js suffer from getting low on oil. Keep them topped up. Amazing how many I get in here that are not a regular car I see, and are .5+ liter low. They only hold 2 liters... so a little low is enough to damage them, and the first stuff that gets it is the stuff out in the 5th gear area.

I use an OEM type fluid, lots of brands (Liquimoly, Motul, etc.) that are synthetic GL4 75w90 labeled. I see lots of these with over 400k miles on them, still working perfectly fine.
Oil,

I suppose you overfill by a half qt for your customers?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
there was a TSB on it.. i believe you should just jack up the car in the front a little bit, get an extra .5 liter in using the usual fill port. when changing the fluid, i just make sure car was just run, so most any "gunk" is not settled, jack up enough to get at drain plug, drain it, then fill it. done :) when i did my 6spd surgery, i drilled a couple extra holes to 5th gear area since tranny was apart, easy to do and might as well get that little bit of extra flow there especially with 2 gears there now...

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I get 3 qts when i put her on the ramps, I'm testing the heavy 2qts shock proof with 1 qt oem, and I drilled the holes when tranny was out, I do some racing once in a while and the oem oil is too thin, shock proof quiet some of the noise on my tranny,, I'm really happy with it