02a transmission making lots of noise idling with clutch out

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
trying to get project off the ground and am not sure if this is normal for an 02a ctn tranny.

i only drove the car about 20 miles after getting everything running and had to stop due to tranny leak even though i used new seals and bearing. will use dye and try and see why that is later.

i never noticed this nasty noise until putting car on a lift just now and taking the front wheels off. just a bit after startup to get get the tranny oil and dye circulating seems the drivers side tranny end started a howling. noticed if i push down on the end cover with my hand its less but still thats the noise.

if i push the clutch in the noise goes away.

i only got the short drive on the tranny, didn't notice performance issues. it held fifth gear on the freeway.

not sure if i should just run it and what to expect if i do, or use another tranny. thanks!

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
Do you know what clutch is in there?

This. I just replaced my south bend stage 2 daily with a south bend stage 3 endurance and was *shocked* at how much louder the stage 3 is. I thought I had done something wrong at first. I'm not positive, but I'm thinking the stage 2 was a sprung disc, but the stage 3 was un-sprung disc which is what I'm telling myself the cause of the noise is.

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
my leak was from bottom of carrier seeping down. cleaned it all up and used right stuff, shouldn't leak again.

after pulling tranny i see the clutch fork was grinded up where the rivets line up on pressure plate on alh engine. looks to be a sachs clutch kit.

now i am in over my head. i thought i could bolt this up and go but i think i missed something? is the alh clutch kit messing with the fitment of the clutch fork?

one thing i came across that i was wondering about is some pictures of people with 02a trannys that had a bolt inserted through casing from up top that looked to act as a stopper for the clutch fork. i see this hole in mine and nothing was in either used tranny i got. if i put a bolt in there it doesn't allow allot of movement for the fork lever though? when i was pressing down on the pedal could it have forced it way too far after disengaging the clutch and thus hitting the rivets?

Last edited:

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
its 02a diesel ctn code tranny. here are some pics of the damage. the spring and pivot ball was still in place when i took things apart. looks like fork made contact with the face of pressure plate and the rivet area and chewed up the fork. also the clutch got the car around ok for my short drives but did have low cltuch engagement. so obviously i have some big clearance issues. i got new bearing, pivot ball, spring, and fork but i think its obvious it would just get chewed up again?
anybody have a clue if the dynamics would change if i bought some kind of mk3 diesel clutch kit? i thought i read there is a kit used on mk3 and mk4, im assuming my setup isn't it, trying to find part number.

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
I'd say that the pivot ball and/or the pocket in the clutch fork could be gouged out changing the geometry of the throw of the lever.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
one thing i came across that i was wondering about is some pictures of people with 02a trannys that had a bolt inserted through casing from up top that looked to act as a stopper for the clutch fork. i see this hole in mine and nothing was in either used tranny i got. if i put a bolt in there it doesn't allow allot of movement for the fork lever though? when i was pressing down on the pedal could it have forced it way too far after disengaging the clutch and thus hitting the rivets?

If you are referring to the threaded hole next to the TDC viewing port, that hole is one of three for mounting the shift cable bracket.

That bolt hole is also commonly used for putting a long bolt in temporarily to keep the lever from flopping out of the bell housing during transmission installation. It gets removed once the transmission is in place.

If you are sticking a bolt in that hole that interferes with the clutch fork, the bolt is too long. It will not allow the throw out bearing to unload the clutch fingers and, I think, will advance the home position of the lever and slave cylinder and may in turn cause the fork to hit the pressure plate. How are you mounting the bracket for the shift cables?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
That's interesting. The photo you posted looks like the pressure plate for a dual mass flywheel setup, which the mk3 and 02A did not originally come equipped with.

So, does the friction surface portion of the flywheel move even slightly independently of the back half or is it completely seized?

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
im sorry i didn't copy and paste my info correctly! im driving a mk2 golf and using the mk3 ctn tranny with alh engine that came from a 2000 jetta!

thanks for telling me about the bolt situation. im using the mk4 shifter and tower on the tranny and all of that worked fine while i was driving it during testing so i think im good after buying some dieselgeek refresh parts at the time and adjusting. car shifted fine while it was on the road.