02 VW Golf TDI towing capacity?

mk4 autobhan

TDI
1.9L
So I have a 02 golf TDI and I'm wondering can I tow a 5x8 enclosed trailer that weighs about 807 EMPTY WEIGHT. I’ve tried looking up how much can my car tow but nothing helps with looking it up. Just curious as to what and how much my car can tow

thank you for the help
mk4 autobahn

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
TLDR: Yea should be fine but keep reading.
GVWR
Towing capacity unbreaked 900lb (technically 1,000lb)
Towing Capacity braked 3,500 lb

As long as you do not add more than 200 lbs to the car so you better be less than 200lb.

So, in a nut shell, GVWR takes all priority above towing capacity. this is how much fully loaded with you in the car and everything and whatever is attached to you in any way. Lok at the sticker at the driver door, it will tell you everything you need to know.
If you stay under that, basically you are good to go as long as the following is done.
Proper hitch size rated and chained rated.
Towing rate is NOT exceeded (usually based on the wight of the car divided by the towing... must not exceed 1/3) thats a rule of thumb but not always the case. A 3500 lb car should not be attached to anything over 1/3 or in this case basically 1,500 lbs as long as the GVWR is not exceeded and in this example it is exceeded.

Your insurance covers towing for that vehicle. Not ALL policies cover towing if the car is not equipped to do so but then the option is added. Best to check the policy. Many of them do but not all. as in if you added a hitch that was aftermarket and not a OEM equipped option.

bottom line, as long as you distribute whatever you are doing so its 60/40 those wight numbers probably are fine depending on what it is. Enclosed trailers like uhaul are close to the ground so no issue there, some are high and can be difficult to control.
If you want to check, if uhauls website will let you do it, then your fine. they will not let you do it if the ratings are not right.

Last edited:

mk4 autobhan

TDI
1.9L
TLDR: Yea should be fine but keep reading.
GVWR
Towing capacity unbreaked 900lb (technically 1,000lb)
Towing Capacity braked 3,500 lb

As long as you do not add more than 200 lbs to the car so you better be less than 200lb.

So, in a nut shell, GVWR takes all priority above towing capacity. this is how much fully loaded with you in the car and everything and whatever is attached to you in any way. Lok at the sticker at the driver door, it will tell you everything you need to know.
If you stay under that, basically you are good to go as long as the following is done.
Proper hitch size rated and chained rated.
Towing rate is NOT exceeded (usually based on the wight of the car divided by the towing... must not exceed 1/3) thats a rule of thumb but not always the case. A 3500 lb car should not be attached to anything over 1/3 or in this case basically 1,500 lbs as long as the GVWR is not exceeded and in this example it is exceeded.

Your insurance covers towing for that vehicle. Not ALL policies cover towing if the car is not equipped to do so but then the option is added. Best to check the policy. Many of them do but not all. as in if you added a hitch that was aftermarket and not a OEM equipped option.

bottom line, as long as you distribute whatever you are doing so its 60/40 those wight numbers probably are fine depending on what it is. Enclosed trailers like uhaul are close to the ground so no issue there, some are high and can be difficult to control.
If you want to check, if uhauls website will let you do it, then your fine. they will not let you do it if the ratings are not right.
Thank you for sure I’ll keep looking
Thanks for your help

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have towed a whole other car behind my old 2003 Beetle. Generally the hitches available limit out at 2000/200 lbs (trailer weight/tongue weight). You should stay under that if possible at least. Common sense can let you do more if you are willing to. I towed a 3700lb car home once with my 2003 Beetle but it was a short distance and no major roads or speeds. As Mongler98 said there are all kinds of numbers you are supposed to go by. With an 800 lb trailer you shouldn't have more than 1k lbs in it, generally speaking. It should do just fine with this load and trailer. Be careful!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
just because you can, does not mean you should.
exceeding towing limits will damage the transmission and whats worse is that the car can not control in stopping power or correcting that much offset weight. Can you go from a to b... yes. If you do anything past the GVRW or anything not rated for what the car was intended to do, if anything what so ever happens, your insurance WILL NOT COVER YOU and you will be liable for all damages in all situations and will be considered the at fault party regardless. Its irresponsible and dangerous to tow like many of us have.
The question is not what you can do, but what was the car rated for... i have answered this and everyone else chiming in on "oh i tow anyhting with my bettle or whatever" is giving bad dangerous advice

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Like I said, with some common sense, things can be done. My towing a car was less than 5 miles from home and on slow roads at slow traffic times with a Euro hitch installed. Not like I am on the Interstate going 90 mph. Carefully done it was no more dangerous than not towing. You are probably right on the legal and insurance aspects of it, but that wasn't the question. Up to the individual to decide the legal and insurance aspects of it as well and make an informed decision about what you want to do, can you do it and how risky it is. Even towed within limits it is risky.