02 TDI Wagon has 7mm allen key plug as oil plug that wont budge....suggestions?

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I wanted to change the oil for the first time in my 2002 Wagon and it had a 7 mm allen key oil plug. I don't believe this is stock, at least it wasn't the same on my 2000. The other issue is I couldnt get this to budge, at least without fearing of stripping something. Any suggestions? Need to change the oil so I can drive it 200 miles home and give it to my parents as a present.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Can you get the plug out with vice grips?

Also, if you strip it out you can always change your oil from the topside using a Pela oil extractor and suck out the oil through the dipstick tube. I have only once had my oil plug removed---At 100,000 miles to pull an oil sample. If you use the Pela, you will never have to remove the skid plate (or cheap plastic undercover) to change the oil again.

http://www.yachtsee.com/pelaoilextractor6000.htm

--Nate

chrisfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
97 jetta
does the allen key fit tight? are you using a key or a socket, if key put a small pipe on it to give you some more leverage. if the key doesn't fit snugly, just leave it alone and take it to a pro, if you strip out the 7mm it will just cost more in the long run to have it properly removed

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Since it isn't a stock drain plug, something is fishy. Maybe the original stripped and someone put this plug in it just to hold the oil in. I might leave well enough alone and just change it from the top.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
It looks aluminum to me (silver). The allen key does fit snug, I was just worried about stripping so I didn't want to push too much. Its getting the timing belt done next week so I will wit until then and then I will put a breaker bar on it to see what happens. Worst comes to worse my mom has to wait another week or two while I swap out my pan (I had to do it on my car already). Which local supplier (advance/discount) has the best reputation for oil pans if I need to get one in a jiffy?

DrewD

Veteran Member
Here is what I'd do if I were in your situation which I was in with a diesel liberty that has a stock hex head oil drain bolt.

1. Heat bolt with a torque. get area nice and hot and them squirt a liberal amount of penetrating oil onto the area.
2. Remove the oil plug using a hex head on an impact wrench or use an impact screwdriver (the kind you use with a hammer) with correct sized bit on it.

Be prepared to find a boggered thread on the pan..I suspect the plug may have been forced onto the pan.

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned to just keep it as is and start doing oil changes from the top-side. Use Pella oil extractor.

The word around here is that you actually get more oil out of the engine using the extractor method.

Good luck.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
The problem is the car is going to be a gift to my parents and I don't see my dad wanting to use the extractor. I am going to try and heat it up and muscle it out. If it strips I will buy a pan from Napa and swap it out. What year cars had the steel pan if I wanted to upgrade to that?

Here is what I'd do if I were in your situation which I was in with a diesel liberty that has a stock hex head oil drain bolt.

1. Heat bolt with a torque. get area nice and hot and them squirt a liberal amount of penetrating oil onto the area.
2. Remove the oil plug using a hex head on an impact wrench or use an impact screwdriver (the kind you use with a hammer) with correct sized bit on it.

Be prepared to find a boggered thread on the pan..I suspect the plug may have been forced onto the pan.
Did you mean torch?

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
Definitely hit it with PB blaster or something along those lines first... let it sit for a full 10-15 minutes before heating it up and trying the allen wrench. The penetrating lubricants do amazing things.

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I have long handled allen keys which I can make longer with the addition of a box end wrench.

If the key will go in nicely and there's no play, you won't strip it. Give it a few taps to make sure its fully seated in the hole and then I'd go at it.

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Fairly simple to remove the sump should you not get the plug out with a suitable amount of force or should you strip it. Take it to an engineering shop and have it helicoiled if need be. Will be messy removing it with engine filled with oil. Or drill a hole through the plug, drain it, remove sump.