02 Jetta Gives Her All

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
I have some sad news to report, mixed with the good news that no one was hurt.

Sunday afternoon I was driving my 02 Jetta GL on I-20 in a light rain traveling from Myrtle Beach to Birmingham to go to a conference when I passed over a pavement transition from asphalt to concrete that happened to occur in the middle of a bend (33.716433, -84.256686). I hit some standing water and spun around, clipping another car and ending up with my rear end hitting the center barrier fairly hard.

Now waiting to hear from the insurance agency on a settlement.

Any thoughts on the value I should be looking to get for this car from the insurance company? This car has a 17/22 turbo and a Tyrolsport SMIC as well as PP764's and a RC5 ASV ECU. The Passenger side GLI seat is obviously ruined, but the air bags only deployed on that side of the car and since it was a rear hit everything in the engine compartment is in perfect shape.

If it was closer to me I'd think of buying it back and parting it out, but that's probably not practical due to the distance (~350 miles).

fierodough

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle
TO give you an idea, my 2001 Golf GLS 2.Slow was written off 2 months ago during a winter storm. 204000 Km. My insurance settled with me for $4655.00 CDN..

Since yours is a Jetta, Turbo, some other goodies. I would expect a bit more.

Glas to hear you are ok!

Cheers!

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
Welp sorry to hear about the jetta, I rear ended and armored bank truck at 35mph and mine got written off as well. i got 8500 for mine 2002 GLS TDI (auto vin) so i got more, navi, cloth with 135k. All my receipts I think thats where all my money came from. With USAA any maintenance done within a year they reimburse you for see what you insurer has they also paid sales tax on the vehicle i replaced it with.

Robert

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Been a while has it not MCA since all the CT GTGs etc. So you ate OK and that is much more important. Do what you feel best for you and you situation.

ps I still have 2 marshmallows from the Boston TDIfest. I always smile each time theu absorb up some spilled oil.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
You really expect your insurance company to give you anything for an upgraded turbo. Start doing your research on stock TDI's in your area, you are going to need it.

/oh, and slow down when its raining.

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
You really expect your insurance company to give you anything for an upgraded turbo. Start doing your research on stock TDI's in your area, you are going to need it.
Why yes, yes I do. The lady at the insurance agency handling the claim told me they would make allowances for upgrades I had done ... just provide a list. Edmunds says it's worth about $4900 dealer retail stock - kbb is pretty close to that - so I'd assume that's about where we ought to start.

/oh, and slow down when its raining.
Won't forget that lesson. :(

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Been a while has it not MCA since all the CT GTGs etc. So you ate OK and that is much more important. Do what you feel best for you and you situation.

ps I still have 2 marshmallows from the Boston TDIfest. I always smile each time theu absorb up some spilled oil.
Haven't been all that active here in the past few years, Peter ... don't have the same TDI scene in this area as we did back in New England.

I'm very blessed that no one was hurt and that the car did its job in absorbing the impact ... it literally felt like what you might feel if you walk backward flush into a wall ... a pretty gentle stop all things considered.

Can't believe you still have that stuff ... it must be very pink by now!

Mark

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Your best weapon against insurance low-ball is to search for records of comparable that have sold. Not easily done. Be sure to document all correspondence with insurer.
I hope they treat you right!

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hey Mark, wow hope you are ok. Best to walk away and get a newer TDI, and don't look back.
That really sucks. I fell asleep on the road once and woke up rubbing the jersey wall. Bent a tie rod, and wasted LF wheel. I run continental DWS tires (16's & 17's) now on all my cars and seem to be good rain tires.

Hope to see you up north in the future. Long time since I visited your garage. Met chill there and it was cold too. hehe

Jeff

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
They are going to offer you some low ball amount. You do not have to accept, You can demand replacement value and gas is up so demand is up do not go off off kbb, edmunds,nada use real world numbers what it will cost to replace "A car of similar build make and model year" so find one with all the stuff yours has done and in the same geographical area. That should be your starting point. So why should your insurance company not give you the money for your upgrades? if you have the added equipment or"customized" item's add on protection you pay for it .

Robert

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
And after you get the best offer out of the insurance company ask them the buy back price. My idiot little brother "totaled" an A3 1.6l diesel and my dad drove it home; he told me it drove fine but the passenger side headlight, alternator etc were smooshed; they insurance offered $2000, my dad bought it back for $300; I put $300 into it and drove it for 5 years.

Assuming the buy back price is reasonable you could pull the engine and trannie and make your money back selling parts to people here.

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Waiting for an offer, but the adjuster said that the cost to repair is over $10K ... therefore it's totaled ... not surprising.

I asked about a buy back - they said that when they total a car it goes to copart.com and I would have to bid on it when it goes to auction if I wanted it back.

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Hey Mark, wow hope you are ok. Best to walk away and get a newer TDI, and don't look back.
That really sucks. I fell asleep on the road once and woke up rubbing the jersey wall. Bent a tie rod, and wasted LF wheel. I run continental DWS tires (16's & 17's) now on all my cars and seem to be good rain tires.

Hope to see you up north in the future. Long time since I visited your garage. Met chill there and it was cold too. hehe

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Not planning on going north ... the weather in the south agrees with me!

Not sure what I'm doing next ... might not be a TDI in my future though ... don't think I'll have the funds to buy one I would actually want to own ... and I have needs for the capability of a 4WD pickup ... maybe a diesel, maybe not ... we'll see!

I do miss that nice big garage in CT though! Those were some good times.

Take care,
Mark

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
MCA State Farm just totaled out winter beater Suby. I had the claims rep send 2 sets of paperwork. 1 total take it away. 2. Salvage title. The car is in drive-able shape so we took it back and we will donate it to a family that has the big black loud hanging over them 100% of the time.

ps PINK!! It is still white and absorbs oil readily.

Peterv & Hamsterdiesel

82racin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Waiting for an offer, but the adjuster said that the cost to repair is over $10K ... therefore it's totaled ... not surprising.

I asked about a buy back - they said that when they total a car it goes to copart.com and I would have to bid on it when it goes to auction if I wanted it back.
Ill be watching copart :thumbup:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Sorry to hear of your loss Mark. Glad you're all right. I lost my 2-door '01 Golf to a freak accident a few years back so I know how it feels. Fortunately, my insurance company came up with a reasonable offer and I didn't have to bicker over that. I was, however, able to negotiate the buy-back price by a large degree. Between the two, I figure I did all right. Nothing is forever... Hope you find a replacement that brings the TDI joy back for you.