02 Golf HE221W "Build" thread

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
This is my first build thread although this is my 3rd Tdi that I modified a bit.
Little back story: I bought this car in 01/19. Previous owner had quite a few mods done to it. Engine was rebuilt with Rosten H beam rods and ARP head studs. It had a Malone Stage 4+ tune, 11mm IP, R520 nozzles, VNT17, PD150 intake manifold, and a Kerma upgraded SMIC and piping kit. It was 5 spd with a South Bend Clutch. Clutch as slipping so I lowered the fueling and boost so it wouldn't slip. Drove it for several months like that.
Several weeks ago i swapped the 02M trans into it from my 01 car. Installed a DKM Stage 2 clutch also. Drove it for a week to break in the clutch.
Then I installed A Holset HE221w turbo. I used an Ebay t3 manifold that i modified to a T25 flange. Custom made downpipe, intake and lower inter-cooler pipes. I made a spring-loaded waste-gate actuator. It is making around 35-38 psi of boost. Fueling is not quite maxed out yet.
Things to do in the near future: Tweak the tuning some more to get better turbo response. Install BEW lift pump. Possibly install a FMIC to help with IAT's, they hit 190f rather quickly at this boost level. Install aftermarket camshaft and valve springs to help top end power.
Goal is to max out R520 injectors, I would like to make 250WHP and still return close to 50MPG.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
I also am using a holset he221, although my success in homebrew tuning has been hit or miss. But I’ll be the first to admit that o barely know enough to get by and I don’t tinker with it much if it runs even half decent.

If you are tuning it yourself, I’d love to PM on what you modified and such. I cannot seem to get boost above about 26 but I’d like to run 32.

I posted a bit ago that I found out that the TD04HL shares parts with he221 so if the turbine housing you have isn’t ideal, you can swap it with a 5cm or 6cm one from a saab. The 5cm is super common and you can get the whole turbo at a junkyard for $50ish

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
I also am using a holset he221, although my success in homebrew tuning has been hit or miss. But I’ll be the first to admit that o barely know enough to get by and I don’t tinker with it much if it runs even half decent.
If you are tuning it yourself, I’d love to PM on what you modified and such. I cannot seem to get boost above about 26 but I’d like to run 32.
I posted a bit ago that I found out that the TD04HL shares parts with he221 so if the turbine housing you have isn’t ideal, you can swap it with a 5cm or 6cm one from a saab. The 5cm is super common and you can get the whole turbo at a junkyard for $50ish
hmmm - check your wastegate...we all run our 2xx series Holsets in the 30s without issues...I daylied my B7 Audi at 32psi, while a customer in France is running his close to 40psi although at that point I think he's outside of the efficiency of the turbo...

I went down to the 4cm He200 unit for fastest spool and have had a number of very happy customers running that unit on their TDis...the 5, 5.5, 6 and 7cm units will all spool slower but still work ok

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
Sure, you can pm me. I have the 6cm housing on mine. I was a little disappointed to find that my 6cm td05h turbo spooled as well or better than the holset does. Although the td05 liked to surge on spool up where the holset doesn't.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
Nitec: the wastegate actuator is literally not attached to anything. It shouldn’t open ever. Unless you think I need to literally wire the lever shut...

Busted bolts: I had a 6cm and swapped to the TD04HL 5cm. It wasn’t night and day but it went from lazy 3k spool to pretty good 2600 spool. I’m sure part of that is my half assed tuning.... I’m on my phone now but I will PM you sometime.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Nitec: the wastegate actuator is literally not attached to anything. It shouldn’t open ever. Unless you think I need to literally wire the lever shut...
Busted bolts: I had a 6cm and swapped to the TD04HL 5cm. It wasn’t night and day but it went from lazy 3k spool to pretty good 2600 spool. I’m sure part of that is my half assed tuning.... I’m on my phone now but I will PM you sometime.
they still blow open from exhaust pressure alone
esp if the turbine housing is undersized

you raised your rev limiter yet?
feel free to spin it out to 6k, that's where mine's set with stock 180k? mile valve springs

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
I had never really considered EMP opening the gate as a real possibility... kinda thought it was a myth... lol

I’ve been using 5200 as my rev limit. Figured a 500rpm bump was safe. I’m a bit scared of seeing 6k on the dash...

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I had never really considered EMP opening the gate as a real possibility... kinda thought it was a myth... lol
I’ve been using 5200 as my rev limit. Figured a 500rpm bump was safe. I’m a bit scared of seeing 6k on the dash...
well, you don't actually see 6k on the dash. Tach only goes to like 5250?

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
I ran my 01 with the td05h to 5800rpm fairly often. I have since found the hard limiter in the software so when that car gets put back together with a ported head and cam it will see 6k plus.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
This past week I installed a bew lift pump, also put some custom delivery valves in the pump. I also managed to break the 5800rpm limit and it now revs to 6200rpm, although my head needs breathing mods to make use of anything over 5500rpm.. I have a dyno rented this weekend to do some pulls and hopefully fine tune it some more. With the fueling mods it now makes 50psi, I intend to modify the wastegate spring to limit it to mid 40's. My Smic is definitely a huge restriction at this point so I definitely need a large Fmic. After installing a supply pressure gauge, I was disappointed to find that pressure drops to 0psi around 5k rpm so I will have to find a different supply pump and lines.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
On Saturday I dynoed my car and messed with the tuning a little. The best run was 220whp and 308wtq on a DynoPack hub dyno. I think I defiantly am maxed out with the smic. I plan on installing a fmic soon, I'm also going to switch back to a vacuum controlled wastegate again and limit boost to 35psi or so. Once those things are done i will dyno again and hopefully improve those numbers. I also found a timing control switch in the tune that should make a substantial difference for spooling a wastegate turbo so that should improve drivability.

p0wer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 3 -94 1Z 377hp, Golf 3 Cabrio 4-Motion 1.8T 620hp, Golf 3 Syncro 2.9 VR6 HX52, Bora AJM 4-Motion 2260vk +120% Firad, Passat 3B Syncro AFN 2260vk
I've done one 1Z with he221w, ported head and grinded cam. Not much more available from it as in video, but nice small turbo for daily use. Spools quite fine.

https://youtu.be/OkcwynKsp30

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
hey Bustedbolts, from my Cummins adventures, a Carter 4601 should do.
cheers,
Douglas
I'm running a 4600 too
kinda wish I'd gotten the 4601 for a little extra pressure

though I'd been running a -6an suction feed to the pump from the tank, and it was basically constantly cavitating. Much better now with a -8 line
so, go -8 on the line from the tank to the pump, but -6 is plenty from the pump to the IP

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
the only complaint I can see from TDI-land is it is noisy. Can't hear it over a 12V 6BT-5.9 though...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
I will check into the Carter pumps, I got an intercooler and am waiting on a piping kit to install it. I was going to keep the R520 nozzles but might have to go larger to get to 250whp.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
the only complaint I can see from TDI-land is it is noisy. Can't hear it over a 12V 6BT-5.9 though...LOL
oh yeah, only place I found to fit mine is inside the cabin
it is loud, but its distinct whine when sucking air tells you when you gotta get fuel :D

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
oh yeah, only place I found to fit mine is inside the cabin
it is loud, but its distinct whine when sucking air tells you when you gotta get fuel :D
If I get one it will probably go in the spare tire compartment.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
If I get one it will probably go in the spare tire compartment.
it would probably fit in the space under the filler neck behind the right rear wheel, but now I remember that I didn't have enough hose to reach there

zehair

TDI
1.9 TDI-M AHU 220hp 380NM ==> 300+bHP
HE221w is great turbo for a dayli car, I have it on my Golf MK2 TDI-m AHU with 5.5 housing, stock internal and stock head, I have 215hp at the crank on a dyno.

Here is my Mods :

- Pressure turbo 32psi
- Lift pump
- Big FMIC + 2.5 piping
- 0.370mm nozzles
- 12mm mecanical pump (Build by dieselmeken for 300hp at the crank)
- 02M gearbox and SRE clutch.

Also I'm heading 250hp as its maximal hp that we could get on a TDI with stock head and bottom !

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
I guess I should give a little update. Got the larger Intercooler installed along with homemade 2.5" piping. IAT's are much better now. I switched to a vacuum wastegate actuator instead of the spring loaded gate. Boost can be ecu limited now. I also have a set of 0.300mm nozzles to install and I have a 100gph in-tank pump I am retrofitting into the factory sending unit. Intercooler I used is >>https://vibrantperformance.com/cata...d=958&osCsid=627aa8c715b7d3c27e8f5b9c595baecc

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
Finally got the 0.300mm nozzles installed, now to fine tune it and go back to the dyno to see if i can make over 250whp with the stock head and cam. Wastegate is ecu controlled now, boost is 2.8 to 2.9 bar/ emp is around 2.6 bar.

Last edited:

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
Been quite awhile, I had done some other minor mods to the car, but I was fighting head gasket issues and I was also pushing the setup way too far. One of the 300um injectors "China junk I found out" stuck open and blew the head gasket in that cylinder. It also managed to warp the deck of the block and crack around 2 of the head stud holes. So I basically started over the the engine side.

New engine:

Arl/pd150 block and crank.
Pd150 main bolts.
Modified pd150 pistons. "2mm deaper valve reliefs, and reshaped bowl entrance."
Cjaa rods.
NPS ported head w/ oversize valves, dual springs, and "10mm" cam.
Reused Arp head studs from last engine.
Diy long runner exhaust manifold with s356v John Deere turbo. Hella vnt actuator.
3" exhaust
3.5" turbo inlet pipe.
Same fmic and 2.5" pipes, bhw intake manifold.
330um injectors and 11mm pump, bew lift pump for now but I have a 140gph pump ordered.
First drove it yesterday, tuned for 2.8 bar for now, need to get 6 bar map, lift pump, and a few other things before I can really lean on it. I also have afr, emp, boost, egt, and lift pump pressure gauges which make this type of setup quite a bit easier to dial the tuning in. I'll probably make a walk around video to post to YouTube instead of trying to post pics here.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
I keep changing things without ever dialing it in completely. So I've done a list of small things since that video. First I swapped to a set of 0.300mm injectors just to test them for the manufacturer. They where super clean, easy to tune and ran quite well. I ended up breaking the 11mm injection pump "pump had probably 20k miles of abuse without a proper lift pump from my old setup" I know rpms "6800rpm limiter" helped kill it but anyway. So I swapped to a pretty low mile 10mm, and put in a set of 0.340mm injectors from the same vendor. The 10+340 setup fuels a bit more than the 11+300 setup according to afr data. It was also pushing the turbo to 48-50 psi boost and 28-30 emp after spool up, and shaft speed was getting to the top of the safe limit. Turbo could definitely do more, but would risk exploding the cast compressor wheel. So I decided it's time I do compounds, especially since I'm currently working on adding a 2nd map sensor into the ecu so I can control a vnt hp turbo much more safely. And what better place to test on than my own car. So I left the s356v turbo and manifold alone, and ran a pipe up to where the factory airbox is, and put a s369sxe "clone, not genuine borgwarner" with a 80/73 sx3 turbine in a 0.86ar open vband housing there. I put a shorter battery in, and modified and moved the battery tray so I can fit a 4" inlet pipe and maf housing with the filter down inside the bumber in front of the drivers side tire. I finished it aside from a tube for the inlet and a heat shield for the turbine housing last night, and took it on a short drive, just enough to know that it will definitely work once I get the tuning dialed. It spools without surging, previously with the s356v single I had to carefully ramp the boost in to keep it from surging. And it made 55psi boost, 32psi emp on the old 46psi single turbo tune.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
Finished the intake/airfilter/maf housing today, and put a turbine housing blanket onto the low pressure turbo. Swapped to a different set of custom delivery valves in the injection pump. Now I need to make some adjustments to my vnt actuator geometry so I can keep boost from going to high. It's making around 4bar boost and 2.5bar emp around 4500 rpm and creeps up to 5bar boost and 3.4 bar emp at 6k rpms. Peak egt I've seen was 1540f. I'm going to adjust the tune to let the hp turbo vanes open farther and target 4 bar for now. It also need a catch can now, it's pushing oil out of the hose I have off of the valve cover. Im going to try to attach a few Pic I uploaded so hopefully that works properly.Pics hopefully.