02 Auto Transmission G68 Error-Help-No Freddie Mercury Yet!

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
thats no mystery thats a mouse chewing. Happens all the time. Probably splicing it will be fine.

Yes you should be able to squeeze the solenoid connector and unplug it and yes that gives you more room to remove the sensor plug in.

Trick to unplugging most vw connectors is to push the release button and hold it in HARD then push "in" HARD on the connector (like you were plugging it in) and then pulling out (unplugging). Do not grab it with any tool (pliers) or you'll break it for sure then you'll need more parts. If you can find a connector thats easier to get to and look at it you can see that you can hook a 90 degree scribe in there and lift up on the latch, but above method usually works till you get frustrated and break it.

mltmlt

TDI
2002 New Beetle 2.0L (AZG,01M)
thats no mystery thats a mouse chewing. Happens all the time.
I already want automotive quality heat resistant rodent repellent.
Probably splicing it will be fine.
What would be the right way to do it? Is it doable without removing mount bracket and g68? I mean can I just pull out the cable, use some piece of wires for extension, butt connectors, and heat shrink wraps? How safe is to use flameless heat gun under the hood? Something tells me that it is not quite safe. Or just a bunch of aluminum foil around would help? Also since this cable is for High Frequency signals, I'm not sure if extra length will be fine.
Trick to unplugging most vw connectors is to push the release button and hold it in HARD then push "in" HARD on the connector (like you were plugging it in) and then pulling out (unplugging). Do not grab it with any tool (pliers) or you'll break it for sure then you'll need more parts. If you can find a connector thats easier to get to and look at it you can see that you can hook a 90 degree scribe in there and lift up on the latch, but above method usually works till you get frustrated and break it.
Was it about solenoids' one? I had no issues with other connectors, and I disconnected G68's one to check resistivity (1-2 are open because of bitten wire). I have issue disconnecting a jack to solenoids. It seems to have a push point hindered by G68's socket. And I'm not positive if there are other connectors in the car that looks the same.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
How safe is to use flameless heat gun under the hood? Something tells me that it is not quite safe. Or just a bunch of aluminum foil around would help? Also since this cable is for High Frequency signals, I'm not sure if extra length will be fine.
Heat gun should be perfectly fine as long as you pay attention to what you are heating and concentrate it away from anything that could melt. I, personally, would try to get as close to the same length as the original as possible. It is easier to manage that way and you don't run the risk of causing problems.

mltmlt

TDI
In case someone is having same problems.
Yes you should be able to squeeze the solenoid connector and unplug it and yes that gives you more room to remove the sensor plug in.
It was hard and I had to use flat head screwdriver to push protective ring down from pimples on the plug.

However G68 socket was still no go. I had to use some WD-40 just in case and special "tool"

to push it hard and careful from the back

thats no mystery thats a mouse chewing. Happens all the time. Probably splicing it will be fine.
Here is how that rodent worked on it in my case

I didn't have a chance to measure resistivity to check if sensor is still okay as I was caught by rain.

P.S. Meanwhile I found G68 part without an envelope in my mailbox as someone stole it, but later decided to return it to me. Perhaps I'll give a try to splicing wires first.

mltmlt

TDI
Nice pics! Is that really how you had to do it or are you being just a little funny? Patent that tool and sell them!
Thanks! I've spent almost a day before trying to remove it just by hand and even got a back pain, so it was not funny at all. I was even trying to hit connector a bit through cloth using same socket extension as much as space permitted. That is why I asked if there is any trick since it looked like a dumb connector with no fixture. I guess no one ever removed it in 10 years. The weird thing is that even after it yielded a bit I still was unable to remove by sliding the top by hand. I guess there is a trick to push it from below. So I was totally serious when something silly like that was a party stopper.

Weird enough that new part I got just in case has number 2 circled by connector, whereas original one turned out to be 1. I guess it may be just a revision number. Also resistivity turned out to be a bit lower then for a new one but I guess still in range: 780 Ohms vs 810 for new one, but I hope coil is still alive down there. I don't really want to remove a bracket without a need.

P.S. Is there any good way to check ATF level other than opening the pan? I feel like there is some dirt stuck around the outlet as if it was wet there at some point. Can temperature be an indirect measure? AFAIK there is such a sensor.

mltmlt

TDI
Stupid rodent that biten G68!! $3 Fix!!!

I spliced wires. So far works good.
Reminder to all. If you post a question, then post a fix.
I picked up "Telephone Butt Connectors" 26-22 gauge @ Radioshack for $2.

Since entire cable is shielded and it is supposedly a HF carrier, I decided to wrap wire in a piece of aluminum foil such that it contacts for sure ground wire and a splice with removed isolation. Weird though that butts didn't want to shrink from heat no matter how I tried. Anyway I covered entire thing with heat-shrink wrap.

P.S. Is there any good way to check ATF level other than opening the pan? I feel like there is some dirt stuck around the outlet as if it was wet there at some point. Can temperature be an indirect measure? AFAIK there is such a sensor.
I just read that G38 works like a dipstick.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Nope, a dipstick. For leveled car, disconnect G38, dry clean, insert again and remove. I didn't try it though.
That's your speedometer sensor. It will not show you the transmission fluid level on an 01M. It will show you the level of gear lube in your differential, though. It's two seperate compartments, and if they mix, then there's something wrong with your transmission. You have to pull this sensor to change the differential lube, and the only way to do it is to suck it out through the sensor hole, and refill by the same hole. I've done this already on my car, so I can tell you it is kind of a pita. Having said that, though, I think that the differential fluid is the most neglected part of the 01M and likely contributes to many transmission failures that could have been prevented by changing that gear lube now and again.

Last edited:

mltmlt

TDI
It will not show you the transmission fluid level on an 01M. It will show you the level of gear lube in your differential, though. ... I think that the differential fluid is the most neglected part of the 01M and likely contributes to many transmission failures that could have been prevented by changing that gear lube now and again.
My apology , I didn't pay enough attention. I should have checked the level while I had airbox removed.