02 Auto Transmission G68 Error-Help-No Freddie Mercury Yet!

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
2002 Jetta Auto, 197k. I have owned this for 3 years and have had no transmission issues, no codes from it, etc. Recently my I discovered a small power steering leak and noticied that my TDIHeater had worn a pinhole in my pressurized power steering line. I replaced it last weekend, and on it's first test drive, it will now not shift into 4th. Had a club member scan with VCDS and received the following code:

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01M-927-733.lbl
Part No: 01M 927 733 KT
Component: AG4 Getriebe 01M 4891
Coding: 00000
Shop #: WSC 00000
2 Faults Found:
00281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68)
03-00 - No Signal
00652 - Gear Monitoring
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

So in searching here I gleaned that obviously it the G68 VSS, and the 03-00 indicates it is not getting a signal at all from it, which leads me to a wiring/connection issue. This leads me to believe that I must have done something when I was re-routing the replacement power steering line. Using CoolAirVW's pic:

I verified that all 3 above connections seem tight. Any insight into what the heck I did? I definitely moved the solenoid connector in the above pic when I put in the new line as the power steering line uses the same bolt to attach the bracket, but nothing looks out of order.

CoolAirVw, are you out there??:D

Last edited:

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
One more question. Does that solenoid in the above pic sit there due to the bracket, or does it connect to something on the transmission under it?

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
I have had a couple of these that had this problem. I replaced the g68 and it cured the problem. You will have to remove the motor mount to swap it out. Do a search, some people have reported it coming apart then you will need to change your trans filter and fluid. Read coolairvw's site. He explains it pretty well there. You could try cleaning the connection but it will probably come back.

Last edited:

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
vwcampin said:
One more question. Does that solenoid in the above pic sit there due to the bracket, or does it connect to something on the transmission under it?
It is mounted to the bracket and the wire harness underneath it runs under the cooler and into the trans in the front bottom of the trans for the valve body

Have you checked the the sensor with an ohm meter?

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
I have not checked it with an ohm meter yet. I looked at everything this weekend and it all appears as it should. I was hoping to find something "unplugged" from me inadvertantly hitting it, but so far it doesn't appear that way.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
See how the wire to the g68 runs up next to the solenoid connector? I'll betcha its not plugged in all the way, or damaged in some way.

Did this problem start immediatly after replacing the line? Or just "after"?

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
CoolAirVw said:
See how the wire to the g68 runs up next to the solenoid connector? I'll betcha its not plugged in all the way, or damaged in some way.

Did this problem start immediatly after replacing the line? Or just "after"?
It started immediately after replacing the line. So does the wire to the G68 plug into the solenoid connector?

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
vwcampin said:
It started immediately after replacing the line. So does the wire to the G68 plug into the solenoid connector?
Look at the pic. The wire from the g68 runs over to the same bracket the solenoid connector is on. Its just above the solenoid connector and has 3 prongs.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
CoolAir,
Thanks for your help. Looking at your picture, I then went out to my Jetta and verified all of the wiring. Unfortunately it all looks like it is hooked up properly. Looks like I need to research a decent shop around Omaha and bring it in. I am sure it is electrical and hopefully something simple I am overlooking, but I don't have the time to really tear into it. I will update this thread with the final results though...

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
It is being dropped off at a transmission shop tomorrow. They have worked on VW's before and have VagCom/VCDS at the shop so I hope that I am in good hands. They have an explanation of what happened and a copy of my scan, so fingers crossed.

Last edited:

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Transmission shop called and indicated that the G68 sensor is indeed bad. Hopefully the new one will arrive tomorrow and I will have prevented the appearance of Freddie Mercury for the time being;)

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Hopefully that fixes it for you. I was getting a similar error, occasionally, just before my factory original battery died at almost 8 years old. If your battery is old, that may be a place to look at, too.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Thanks for the tip. Just installed a new battery this winter, so that should not be it.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
vwcampin said:
Transmission shop called and indicated that the G68 sensor is indeed bad. Hopefully the new one will arrive tomorrow and I will have prevented the appearance of Freddie Mercury for the time being;)
Freddy Mercury SUCKS! :eek:

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Just responding to close this post. Transmission shop replaced the G68 sensor and my autotragic is back to shifting as it should:D Thanks to all who responded and a big thanks to CoolAirVW for his insight and to Jettawolfs98 for letting me use his VagCom/VCDS to pull the codes initially.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
vwcampin said:
2002 Jetta Auto, 197k. I have owned this for 3 years and have had no transmission issues, no codes from it, etc. Recently my I discovered a small power steering leak and noticied that my TDIHeater had worn a pinhole in my pressurized power steering line. I replaced it last weekend, and on it's first test drive, it will now not shift into 4th. Had a club member scan with VCDS and received the following code:

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01M-927-733.lbl
Part No: 01M 927 733 KT
Component: AG4 Getriebe 01M 4891
Coding: 00000
Shop #: WSC 00000
2 Faults Found:
00281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68)
03-00 - No Signal
00652 - Gear Monitoring
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

So in searching here I gleaned that obviously it the G68 VSS, and the 03-00 indicates it is not getting a signal at all from it, which leads me to a wiring/connection issue. This leads me to believe that I must have done something when I was re-routing the replacement power steering line. Using CoolAirVW's pic:

I verified that all 3 above connections seem tight. Any insight into what the heck I did? I definitely moved the solenoid connector in the above pic when I put in the new line as the power steering line uses the same bolt to attach the bracket, but nothing looks out of order.

CoolAirVw, are you out there??:D
Of course you secured/padded/ rerouted the new PS line.
My Frosty also rubbed through the ps lines. I had a friend solder/weld them back up. Then tweeked the frosty placement and padded the line.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
fruitcakesa said:
Of course you secured/padded/ rerouted the new PS line.
My Frosty also rubbed through the ps lines. I had a friend solder/weld them back up. Then tweeked the frosty placement and padded the line.
Good point:) Yes my power steering line is now padded so the pinhole issue will not happen again!

fastasaturtle

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2001 Jetta, 2006 NB
Big fluctuation in RPM's, transmission dropping to lower gear

My son's '01 Jetta had a coolant leak develop recently. Apparently an oil leak, over time, had helped caused a failure of a small hose coming off of the head as well as the coolant flange. I took care of the coolant leak yesterday and used the garden hose to rinse off some coolant that had spilled on the transmission. Today, the previously working 01M, started acting up. While driving at speed the RPM's began jumping way up (about a 700-900 jump) while the transmission repeatedly tried to down shift. The was no idle speed issue while in neutral. I pulled over, phoned a friend, and began driving again. A minute or so later it started over... I was able to coast home in neutral. After reading through a bunch of threads (thanks CoolAirVW!) I believe that the G68 sensor is either wet, or bad. I do not have VCDS (man I need to get a laptop or notebook so I can get Vagcom!!!) so as of right now I do not know what codes are present. There is no CEL on at this time, btw.
Does anyone have a suggestion, other than putting in a 5 speed? Thanks.

fastasaturtle

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2001 Jetta, 2006 NB
I used some elctrical component spray cleaner and then compressed air. Took it for a test drive and it seems fine. So for now, another one doesn't bite the dust! Thanks again CoolAirVW.

clementback

TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon and 2002 Jetta TDI Sedan
Same problem

So, I ohm checked the g68 connector and came up with 724ohms, 1&2; 724ohms,2&3; and 1200ohms,1&3. I am assuming that the higher number indicates a problem, right?

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
According to Ohm's Law, V=IR or R=V/I. So if your R is high, this may happen if I (current) is very low. So you have to find out whether the sensors are designed for very low current output.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
So Freedie Mercury claimed that the G68 sensor was bad. Did they prove to you the basis for their claim that the sensor was bad? Did they provide you evidence that the sensor was bought (such as VW dealer invoice) and replaced? And how much did they charge you for changing the sensor.

Last edited:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
So Freedie Mercury claimed that the G68 sensor was bad. Did they prove to you the basis for their claim that the sensor was bad? Did they provide you evidence that the sensor was bought (such as VW dealer invoice) and replaced? And how much did they charge you for changing the sensor.
to whom is this question aimed at? I would assume its aimed at vwcampin? Why do they need to prove they replaced the sensor? The car was fixed and remained fixed from date of original post till today. (except that a short time ago his reverse quit).

Last edited:

mltmlt

TDI
2002 New Beetle 2.0L (AZG,01M)
I've got same problems :-(

It is a mystery how it could happened, but it looks like as if wire from G68 was bitten by something. Also a cable to solenoids has isolation damage.

I was thinking if I can get away by just splicing wires and not replacing sensor itself.

1) I can't figure out how to remove G68's side of connector from the mount near solenoids connector. I feel like it should simply slide in it. Is there any trick? It is no go no matter how I try to push it to the side.

2) How do I disconnect solenoids' connector to make some space? Just squeeze at sides and pull?

3) Is there any varnish I can use to cover cracks on the cable to solenoids?

P.S. What is that joke about Freddie? :)