01m

FERDROCK

TDI
2003 Jetta
What will a vagcom tell me about the O1M

One day fine, the next day the car will barely move - kind of like it won't go into gear. Turned it off and on a few times and finally got it to run well enough to get me through downtown Pittsburgh and home. I am wondering if a vagcom will diagnosis it enough to at least tell me if the transmission is shot, or if it something repairable without a spending thousands of dollars. I am hoping the immediate nature of the problem versus a progressive degradation of performance indicates it may not be totally kaput. 2003 Jetta TDI 188,000 miles.

You need to get that scanned with a proper tool. Alldata does not even show a P0725 for that car. But I go by the VAG codes anyways. I bet there is something else happening and the generic scanner is not giving the whole story.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
check fluid level.
Is it doing this problem in forward and reverse?

Does "barely move" possibly mean its taking off from a stop in 3rd? if so it might have a trouble code that can be fixed easily. But if it is just slipping like crazy or not engaging forward gear, and its full of fluid then you might need a trans.

FERDROCK

TDI
2003 Jetta
O1m

apparently, it lost 1.5 qts of transmission fluid. the shop topped it off and states it is shifting properly. for it to start leaking all of a sudden would seem like a seal went out. no leaks detected when i was doing brakes and rotors over father's day. is the TDICLUB a decent website to sell TDI's?
check fluid level.
Is it doing this problem in forward and reverse?

Does "barely move" possibly mean its taking off from a stop in 3rd? if so it might have a trouble code that can be fixed easily. But if it is just slipping like crazy or not engaging forward gear, and its full of fluid then you might need a trans.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
apparently, it lost 1.5 qts of transmission fluid. the shop topped it off and states it is shifting properly. for it to start leaking all of a sudden would seem like a seal went out. no leaks detected when i was doing brakes and rotors over father's day. is the TDICLUB a decent website to sell TDI's?
Sounds like it wasn't serviced properly at some point and the fluid finally got low enough to cause an issue OR the filter isn't sitting in the valve body and the higher fluid level is letting the pump do its job. I've seen many filters lying at the bottom of the pan.

Check the diff level, if the seal is gone, fluid could be leaking into the diff.

FERDROCK

TDI
2003 Jetta
Sounds like it wasn't serviced properly at some point and the fluid finally got low enough to cause an issue OR the filter isn't sitting in the valve body and the higher fluid level is letting the pump do its job. I've seen many filters lying at the bottom of the pan.
Check the diff level, if the seal is gone, fluid could be leaking into the diff.
I change the fluid and filter November 2015. Since then the car has been driven from Pennsylvania to California and back. And as daily commuter. The shop where it is that sent that after it warms up it starts leaking pretty good From the bell housing. He wants 450 bucks to drop the transmission and investigate and presumably reinstall it . I'm thinking well if you get a transmission out you might as well slap a rebuild kit on it. Just wondering how much money sink into a 13-year-old Car with 188,000 miles on it. Plus I still need the timing belt done for another 350 bucks.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
When you changed the fluid how did you check that it was filled properly?

A transmission job is going to cost upwards of $4k. Generally, from what I've read, one doesn't just slap some sort of rebuild "kit" into these transmissions. I think that a manual conversion, if you pay someone to do it, tends to come out to around $3k.

TB job for $350 sounds like a pretty good deal (almost too good).

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
So the pump seal seal aka tc seal is leaking. You said no leaks earlier?????

Anyhow, if the trans is working properly, just replace the seal.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
TB job for $350 sounds like a pretty good deal (almost too good).
A deluxe timing belt kit should cost around $300. Then there are 3 to 5 hours of labor involved. (Unless a TDI expert is doing 6 or 8 timing belts in a single day, and has all the parts, tools, jacks, etc. all set to go. But that's only been done once and never replicated. Most gurus wouldn't tackle more than 3 or 4 in a single 12-hour day.)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A deluxe timing belt kit should cost around $300. Then there are 3 to 5 hours of labor involved. (Unless a TDI expert is doing 6 or 8 timing belts in a single day, and has all the parts, tools, jacks, etc. all set to go. But that's only been done once and never replicated. Most gurus wouldn't tackle more than 3 or 4 in a single 12-hour day.)
Yup, just did the TB in the daughter's new wagon. I think the kit was closer to $330. My labor was "free," however."

I don't think I'd do more than one TB in 12 DAYS!:D

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
I've done my own, and with some "modifications" to the engine mount that pokes through the belt, I have been able to remove it completely and create some workspace... But there isn't any way I'd try more than 2 in a single day, and they would definitely need to be next to each other. The Jeep CRD timing belt is equally complicated, but I've been able to reduce that to about 2 hours. Still can't do 6 or 8 in a day!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Geordi, what mod did you do to the engine mount? I've only contemplated "modifying" one via shotgun!:eek: If not for these stupid mounts the job would be fairly easy.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
I will try and get you a picture - I carved away that stupid "ear" that sticks out of the left side (as you are looking at it from above on the passenger side) so that you can actually get it past the frame of the car.

I also modified the frame a bit by trimming some of the excess non-structural stamped metal right at the edge to also allow the mount to bypass.

Here you go - I remember I trimmed something that was now probably under the mount, but this should give you the general sense of it. I did another ALH where I didn't have to trim the body side and it still worked, so maybe just clearing the mount is enough. I also removed the plastic bits of the inside cover that surround that mount protrusion to equally lessen the annoyance. Those just broke right off with some needlenose pliers. I thought I had an extra mount, and I do... But it isn't cut away yet. I also could smell coolant... So it looks like I found my leak, and I will be pulling the water pump again sooner than I wanted. Bugger.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You do not need to modify those mounts, and the job IS easy. :rolleyes:

I do not even remove that bracket to do the timing belt job. Only time I remove it is to fix the messed up threaded holes from some previous butchering job. And even at that, you can easily weasel them out on the ALH. It is the BEW that is a bit trickier, but still not *that* difficult.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Yeah they come right out with the engine in just the right position.. They'll fall right out of the bottom when the tensioner and whatnot is off if you aren't looking..

Most I'll ever book in a single day is 3, and it's typically a very long day since these are getting old enough so most aren't just a simple timing belt job anymore..

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Three in a day! And I was feeling good getting ONE done in TWO days! (well, after my first one in which I had to wait to get Time-Certs to fix a motor mount AND that I was an overly-cautious first-timer, I was thinking that two days was pretty good!) BUT, in my own defense, I don't have a garage (nor working off any paved surface)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Three in a day! And I was feeling good getting ONE done in TWO days! (well, after my first one in which I had to wait to get Time-Certs to fix a motor mount AND that I was an overly-cautious first-timer, I was thinking that two days was pretty good!) BUT, in my own defense, I don't have a garage (nor working off any paved surface)
All I had to go on was a distant memory of some long-ago TB GTG. But with a little research I found the thread. I was not there.

The weekend of February 11-13, 2007: Drivbiwire (Pete) did two timing belts on Friday night, seven on Saturday, and eight more on Sunday, for a total of 17 timing belts.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1621175&postcount=210

FERDROCK

TDI
2003 Jetta
O1m

I got the enhanced timing belt kit from Blauparts. Transmission was removed and the seal replaced. He stated the bushings were fine. Drove it for a while and then left it idling on the rack for a while - nothing was leaking. He said the pump looked new - for some reason that bothered him. The long and short is I will drive it for a couple weeks to see if the transmission hangs together. If it does I'll get the timing belt done. Nice kid (anyone under 50 seems like a kid), who is interested in and likes his work. I will let you all know as the situation resolves itself.

We have another VW "Expert" in the area. I was ready to ring his neck when he did my timing belt and didn't think it needed a waterpump.

FERDROCK

TDI
2003 Jetta
O1M Indestructible lol. So far the transmission is operating just fine. Seems a bit mushier than I remember. But the car will matriculate down the road. Of course with no AC my matriculating is fairly limited. So far so good.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Run it with more fluid in it - Change the fluid if you haven't! Any synthetic Mercon IV-V-VI will work. I have actually managed to fab up a dipstick on mine, and I run it with probably more fluid than most would. More fluid isn't the problem that not enough fluid can be. Also strongly consider replacing the crap "cooler" on the top of the transmission with a quality external Hayden cooler in the front of the radiator stack. A cool transmission is a happy transmission.