01M auto in 2002 TDI Jetta w/100,544 miles (original owner) reverse issues HELP PLEASE

chris101

TDI
2002 TDI
So spending a lot of time over the years reading the woes of this automatic transmission, I tried to warn my parents (starting with 10 years ago now) about their ticking time bomb.

The dilemma is my mom loves her 2002 TDI Jetta. (original owner since new) She cannot drive a stick shift (refuses to learn at this point in life too). My dad can drive stick but this is my mom's car.

My parents really want to have this fixed but it seems unreasonably high cost to do this from my perspective.

At this juncture I doubt VW even carries the transmission new in stock any more.

I have little to no faith in a used 01M from ebay, car-part, craigslist, etc.

I've heard and read very mixed reviews (mostly bad) about rebuilds.

Scouring the internet we found this:

Anyone here have any personal experience with them? Is this 'worth it' or just another questionable rebuilt 01M?

Next question, given the great condition of the car and engine, what would it be worth to sell as-is with the sometimes works reverse? Is it worth converting 1st to manual and then selling? How much should we expect to pay for a manual conversion?

Thanks in advance for everyone's insight.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I have no idea...

I have an 02 also, and it is getting a 5sp BEFORE any of this happens( as in the 01m has been sitting on my floor for a week ). In the mean time I have a nice paperweight... :)

Douglas

chris101

TDI
2002 TDI
Actually last time we drove to Kansas City, it took us 9.5 hours to pick up a race car.. which promptly crashed the 1st race we owned it not even 1/2 a lap into its 1st race with us... and is waiting to be parted out 1 year later...lol

Anyway, we found another transmission to install. From what we are researched, once reverse is gone like it is on my mom's, it can no longer be rebuilt because too much destruction has occurred.

Fingers crossed the replacement we are picking up this weekend provides many more years of enjoyment for my mom and her beloved TDI!