012 DUK Transmission Exploded view part numbers available?

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
012 DUK Transmission internal part numbers available?

Hey guys
So somehow I managed to blow up my transmission, can shift in all the gears but the engine revs like its in neutral no matter what. Clutch pedal feels like its operating normally. Not sure why it failed when it did, as it showed zero signs of issue before turning on a road from a stop and hearing something pop/snap like the input shaft or something broke when I completed my turn and shifted into 2nd. Was only at about 20-30% throttle too

Mike over at 413 Auto (he originally swapped my trans) thinks I blew up the final drive. Frans said the only thing he can think of is that it had a slow oil leak and I ended up running it low on oil (thought the interval was every 60k so i never got around to checking the level)

Question is, if anyone with access to ETKA can provide me the part numbers of the internal hard parts to see if I can source them from europe at all. Or what parts are shared on the gas and diesel transmissions to see if for instance if the input shaft broke I could just use the gas one and press the proper gears onto it.

I have a replacement DUK going in this week thanks to Frans having one left and he sent me a new shifter seal with it. I'd still like to tear into the broken one and figure out what went wrong, and fix it to have a spare if possible.

I think Mike is planning on doing the replacement later this week so as soon as I get the old trans ill check to see how much oil was in it and start the tear-down to see what parts broke.

Also the correct oil for these is part number: G052911A2 right?

Thanks!

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
I won't know what actually broke until he gets to my car, but he said he rolled the car back and forth a bit and could hear a crunching sound which led him to think the final drove is shot.

He doesn't deal with internal stuff on transmissions nor does the trans shop he works with wanna take a Euro trans. I hope he didn't convince me to order another trans for nothing as I was thinking the clutch broke as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Are you sure the axle didn’t come loose? Those 6 bolts back out and/or shear off and it’s like the transmission broke, but it’s an easy fix.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
I have an 012 sitting in my garage that is being used for parts. In fact, I pretty much have everything still except the drive flanges

Pm if you need any small parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Check cv axles first. I had a boosted del sol that put a little over 300 hp to the wheels. I was launching one night and lost all gears. I was sure i took out a differential. I snapped the cv axle in two inside the boot. It didn't tear the boot.

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Are you sure the axle didn’t come loose? Those 6 bolts back out and/or shear off and it’s like the transmission broke, but it’s an easy fix.
Check cv axles first. I had a boosted del sol that put a little over 300 hp to the wheels. I was launching one night and lost all gears. I was sure i took out a differential. I snapped the cv axle in two inside the boot. It didn't tear the boot.
I was able to roll the car down the street and in a driveway at least a few hundred feet away from where it broke. Also it'll go into gear (any) but you hear a grinding noise while its in gear, so I think the axles are fine or it would have definitely bound up, but I didn't look too closely to know, I was too focused on getting it towed at the time.

I have an 012 sitting in my garage that is being used for parts. In fact, I pretty much have everything still except the drive flanges

Pm if you need any small parts
Oh awesome I'll definitely let you know thank you!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
These transmissions are pretty stout. The axles on the other hand if not torqued correctly, the 6 bolts holding the axle to the flange will back out and shear off.

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Looks like QuickTD wins...the clutch hub broke.

Sigh...I should have had him actually remove the trans before ordering another. I can understand Mike not wanting to wait for a new trans and having a lift taken up if that's genuinely what he believed to be the issue, but taking a guess at any problem without the proper investigation is never a good idea. I had a feeling that, that's what broke.

So looks like I'm out the money for the trans, guess I'll either try to sell it on here or keep it as a spare. Oh and a new clutch and pressure plate from ecsTuning costs more than what I paid Frans for another trans, go figure, ill have to pour through that clutch thread and see if there are any other options, or eat it.

Anyone wanna recommend a stronger clutch? Or do I just need to baby this thing from now on?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I am running the 1.8t valeo kit, sent to South bend clutch for a little tweaking.

Right at 600 in the single mass clutch/fw kit and south bend work. I run a stage 2 tune. Mine is a daily driver.

I've yet to hear of a hub come apart on a Valeo. Ive seen pics of clutch masters hubs coming loose and coming apart. I personally had the clutch masters pressue plate fail(lost clamp power) and smoked my clutch. Went from slippage in 4th and 5th during heavy acceleration to slipping in 1st under any acceleration very quickly. Clutch master set up with heavy single mass flywheel was some 1200 bucks, not worth 100 bucks in my opinion.

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
I am running the 1.8t valeo kit, sent to South bend clutch for a little tweaking.

Right at 600 in the single mass clutch/fw kit and south bend work. I run a stage 2 tune. Mine is a daily driver.

I've yet to hear of a hub come apart on a Valeo. Ive seen pics of clutch masters hubs coming loose and coming apart. I personally had the clutch masters pressue plate fail(lost clamp power) and smoked my clutch. Went from slippage in 4th and 5th during heavy acceleration to slipping in 1st under any acceleration very quickly. Clutch master set up with heavy single mass flywheel was some 1200 bucks, not worth 100 bucks in my opinion.
Fran's is trying to get in touch with Sachs to try to have them replace the clutch since it seems like it failed due to fatigue and not improper use. If they do I'll keep the same setup I have, maybe replace the dmf again so everything is new. If not I'll look into the southbend setup. Just kind of a pain to order a part and have to send it out for rework, and wait. Are you still running Matt's flywheel with the southbend?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
No. Matts flywheel is amazing but clutch masters can eat a bag of rotten eggs. I am running the valeo single mass flywheel. Zero difference in vibration. South bend is usually less than 4 days behind in turn around time. The clutch kit fits in a flat rate box.