'01 TDI operating temp

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
Hey guys,

I just installed a Calorstat thermostat in my TDI and all went well. It was listed as an 87C (189F) thermostat but I am getting a maximum temp of about 94C (201F). I assume no issues with the higher than normal operating temp. Also, I think it is just me, but it takes a long time to get to operating temp (15-20 minutes of 60-80kph driving).

Any thoughts other than to just keep driving...

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, keep driving. :)

Anyone in Canada that gets past 90 in the winter behind the wheel of a TDI is doing pretty well IMHO. I sometimes get to 85 if I've been on the road for quite a while and have some hills to make the engine work, otherwise it's 80-ish for me from October to April. :)

Yes, these engines are miserly with fuel and therefore miserly with waste heat... and thus it can take quite a while to get up to operating temp. You may also notice that the temp drops at idle... same thing, very little fuel at idle, very little extra heat.

In general these engines are more efficient the hotter they are.. so I'd say enjoy your 94. On my car the fan comes on around 98, and of course the system is pressurized and so designed for well past 100, so your 94 sounds just fine.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info. Today was -15C and after 20 minutes (19km) of driving I got up to a measly 70C. Woohoo.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
It's- 5F below which translates into about -21C, I'll be lucky to get any heat at all this morning.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Every car is different of course, but 70 in those conditions does sound a little cool. Blocking the front will certainly help, especially if a lot of your winter driving is at highway speeds, and a new t-stat would be an inexpensive thing to try...if there is a timing belt in your near future you could add it to the list.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Whhops...looks like you already did the t-stat. Was it tested before install? SOP, at least per the manual. ☺

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't test the thermostat prior to install, I was quite surprised that it does reach 94C so I figured it was working (at least opening).

I am going to assume that the thermostat is working fine for now. I will see what summer temps do to the operating temp before I worry.

ScottySK

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS
My 92C t-stat gets up to 96C coolant temperature. Summer & Winter. Non-issue.

Grill/radiator/IC blocks make a big difference in warm up times. -30C temps and I have no trouble getting to & maintaining 90C+ while driving.