01 TDI Jetta MORE POWER!

JettaTDI8655

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Im looking into boosting my power of my car a little bit, and by little I mean def. noticiable. HA!

Any hints as to where i should start i.e. new turbo, chip, fuel control?

Basically just looking for some advice for a first timer trying to add some good zip to his car.

Thanks.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Search NOZZLES and CHIP TUNE,but make sure your car is in tip top shape mechanically before you start modding and upping the power.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
JettaTDI8655 said:
So I should just get a chip and nozzles and not really worry about a new turbo?
Well the real question is how much power do you want. With the stock turbocharger the stock setting is 13.5psi, max design 18psi sustained. With PP520's (larger injectors), and Rocket Chip 3 you are at the limit for the stock turbocharger: hmmm 140+hp, 240+ft-lb torque. (Stock 90 hp, 150 ft-lb torque) Of course you stock clutch won't hold this power, so that to your list.

Of course the next step up in turbo charger/chips/nozzles usually means larger inter-cooler too. And then the differential is close to its design limits, so maybe a Peloquin gear differential, oh maybe VR-6 axles, oh sell the wife and kids...:)

Jerry_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Silver, 2006 Jetta White & Red, 2014 Passat
Curious Chris said:
Well the real question is how much power do you want. With the stock turbocharger the stock setting is 13.5psi, max design 18psi sustained. With PP520's (larger injectors), and Rocket Chip 3 you are at the limit for the stock turbocharger: hmmm 140+hp, 240+ft-lb torque. (Stock 90 hp, 150 ft-lb torque) Of course you stock clutch won't hold this power, so that to your list.
Ok, you do the work and $900 will take you this far - also the point I am at. Add another $1200 for an upgrade turbo.
PP520's first will give you a nice bump - but add the tune on top of that and hold on to your hat - 50%+ more HP is very nice. Jeff worked his magic back in Nov 08 and the stock clutch is holding so far and I test it regularly.

Oh yea, don't forget the boost gauge before the tune and a boost limiter is a must. My boost would spike at 21psi on a hard accel so the limiter holds it down to 18psi max. Easy enough to make yourself.

Then you will want to open up the exhaust so you can hear the turbo spool up. Really sounds cool at start up to hear the turbo wind up.

The list goes on and on but if you want a nice bump so you can eat some of those ricers, then go for the nozzles and the tune.

Don't forget to blow her out once a week or so - WOT and bumping the rev limiter is a good thing!

Jerry T