01 TDI Golf Runs but won't drive.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Here is the problem... If the motor is running with a gear engaged and the clutch pedal is fully depressed the car continues to pull forward. You can remove the selected gear but not reengage it; however, if the motor is shut-off then you can freely engage all gears.

Clutch is new. The mechanic who swapped the engine recently said
Both clutch master and slave cylinders are new and operate fine. He wants to remove the transmission and inspect the clutch and release arm.

Anyone that has had this same issue or any ideas what it could be holding it from going into gear? The car was previously a automatic and was swapped to a manual. Thanks in advance! :) Should be a nice car to drive once I get this problem squared away with.

Last edited:

Dorsal

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf gls F350 Crew 7.3l 2002 gls bone stock
I think I would start by making sure the lines are fully bled. It takes forever it seems. After that I would take a look at the linkage and use procedure outlined to make sure all cables are adjusted proper. I wouldn't yank the tranny until I was positive everything else is good. Good luck

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Sorry I can't offer firm / specific diagnosis, but...
The description sounds to me like classic issue of the clutch is not disengaging when the clutch pedal is depressed. This can happen for one of two general reasons:

[1] Something in the hydraulic side of the clutch is not working- ie air in the system or low fluid level etc.
[2] Something in the mechanical side of the clutch has a problem. Suspect items could be bent clutch fork, broken pivot ball or some problem with the throwout bearing or pressure plate, or maybe the clutch disc came apart.

[1] Can be fixed from outside the trans. [2] typically requires removal of the trans.

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Does the clutch pedal return to the top on its own? Does it have good pressure behind it?

I'm with Corsair on this one. These clutches are hard to bleed, I always pressure bleed them because it makes it MUCH easier.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I've had similar problems caused by two different mechanical issues. One was a broken release fork the other was a bad DMF. Was the flywheel replaced when the clutch was done? Of course - as mentioned above, a hydraulic problem will react similarly.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
I've had similar problems caused by two different mechanical issues. One was a broken release fork the other was a bad DMF. Was the flywheel replaced when the clutch was done? Of course - as mentioned above, a hydraulic problem will react similarly.

Yep it has a new Single Mass Flywheel. :)