01 Jetta<2015 A3

rdean

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Bright Green, Jetta, 2002, Blue Lagoon (RIP)
My 01 Jetta TDI blew a valve yesterday at 269000 :( I loved that car but it's not worth a new motor.
I've been looking at a 2015 A3 TDI. Anyone have any comments? Also, I can't find anywhere that tells me how much or how often to add Blue.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
70K km of driving and pretty sure I've put 30L of AdBlue in my car. You'll probably spend more on wiper fluid than you will on AdBlue.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The MKVII platform is really nice (Golf Sportwagen, Golf, and A3). I like the A3, but unfortunately it's an automatic only. The Adblue tank is designed to need filling at each oil change, although a few people have reported a need to add more frequently post-fix since the fix may require more Adblue usage.

I know I'm kind of a fanatic about MKIV cars, but if it were me I'd fix your MKIV.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Agreed - I LOVE the drive (smooth, quiet, responsive) of my Mk7 GSW (and my wife's A3 e-tron), but I missed driving a stick so much I bought a '03 with failing 01M and dropped a 5MT into it.

Love *the* drive of the Mk7.
Love *to* drive the Mk4.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Well said, Nuje. My GSW is smoother and quieter than my ALH TDI. And, in the Wagon at least, the rear seat is significantly larger. However, I prefer the MKIV. And both of mine have manual transmissions.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Well said, Nuje. My GSW is smoother and quieter than my ALH TDI. And, in the Wagon at least, the rear seat is significantly larger. However, I prefer the MKIV. And both of mine have manual transmissions.
The JSW 6m TDI is a great all around car. I wanted an A3 but weirdly the JSW had better CPO coverage, haad 6m, cost less and more features. Go figure?

I miss my b5.5 tho. I think VWs hayday in all the TDI line up was in early 2000's, unfortunately they are all 3 owner 250k cars now.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
My 01 Jetta TDI blew a valve yesterday at 269000 :( I loved that car but it's not worth a new motor.
I've been looking at a 2015 A3 TDI. Anyone have any comments? Also, I can't find anywhere that tells me how much or how often to add Blue.
I have to ask: how long since the last TB change and who did it?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Wasn't necessarily a timing belt failure. These engines do occasionally drop a valve, often at around the mileage the OP's at.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Wasn't necessarily a timing belt failure. These engines do occasionally drop a valve, often at around the mileage the OP's at.
I do not mean a timing belt 'failure'.
With the obvious connection between a valve dropping and a mis-timed TB job,
the wide spread use of the 'mark and pray' method by the misinformed techs,
and the many miles between said mis-timed TB job and valve failure, a thinking man
may well surmise that there are actually very few 'occasional dropped valves' at all
that aren't caused by piston to valve contact due to a mis-timed TB job.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I recently picked up a '13 A3 with the titanium trim and sport package (got it with 46k miles and off the west coast).

It's been great other than a random stuttering at low RPMs that may? be linked to the ASV.

I'm going to do a CR170 stage 3 upgrade later this year.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
'13 and '15 A3s are different cars. '15 is a sedan on the MKVII platform, the '13 is a MKVI. Engines are different, too.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
I absolutely love my 2015. It has two car seats in the back and can still fit a stroller OR golf clubs in the trunk. I really have zero complaints. My car does not have the phase 2 fix, I continue to debate with myself about it. I am a believer in keeping it away from the dealer. I can attest to the putting in 2.5gallons DEF at every oil change approximately. My drive is 70km each way and 99% highway so at 6am in the morning I rarely am below 125km/h and the mileage is great (check my fuelly). I highly recommend the car. I had a huge struggle to find this car as my 2009 Jetta TDI was bought back.

Last edited: