00 beetle missfire

b1g-al

TDI
2000 beetle
00 beetle 274000 miles. Bought non running told bad inj pump sitting for 1 yr. Got it home bled lines fires right up decent power. So start to drive 30 miles one way to work and find it to be sputtering at cruise speeds under light throttle. If I beat it 3k and above seems to be ok gradually gets worse but no codes misses and coughs and gags so I change ip and fuel filter installed a 130000 mile 11mm pump and have timing adjusted by a friend who works at vw starts awesome good power but still issues at cruise speeds. Now random miss at idle comes and goes at the drop of a hat. Run compression 450 all a crossed 4 so got injectors re nozzled and checked by dis in madison wi. Still same issues installed 2 micron cat filter and gutted sending unit now no more sputtering at hwy speeds but miss fire at idle am running out of money very fast. Also sounds like exhaust leak at idle but no leak? Car acts as if it's loading up sometimes or like a gasser when u get a bad plug wire. Check mass and that's fine. And still no cell

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Over-fueling at idle, maybe.
Where is the IQ set?
What nozzles?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'd pull out those injectors and have them checked. I do this anyways any time the pump is rebuilt/replaced.

b1g-al

TDI
2000 beetle
Had bosio 520 in it and thought might be an issue so switched back to a stock set I got from my friends wrecked car. At idle can Rev it and get a fairly decent plume of smoke . No vag com so no idea on the iq unless you know someone in the land of cheese

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well I'd make a proper scan tool #1 on your priority list if you want to have any hope of getting it to run correctly. You can tell a LOT with that. IQ, smooth idle compensation, timing, etc.

The ALH's engine management system is brutally simple. It is hardly any more complex that what gasoline fueled cars were using in the early '80s. But without a scan tool, you are blind and can just guess.

b1g-al

TDI
2000 beetle
One thing I did forget to mention when you Rev it its slow to come back to idle miss got worse with the bigger injectors and we're extremely sooty after only 200 miles thats when I went to a stock set

b1g-al

TDI
2000 beetle
What's crazy is when it's not missing she's smooth if I knew more about the vag com and it wasn't so much I would get one. Is there much luck with the eBay cords?

JETaah

TDI
If this is a manual trans car and you switched to an 11MM pump it will tend to be overfueling even with stock manual trans P706 nozzles. You have to adjust the injection pump for that or at least adapt it via VCDS.
See "hammer mod" in the HOW-TO section of TDI 101 forum.

JETaah

TDI
What's crazy is when it's not missing she's smooth if I knew more about the vag com and it wasn't so much I would get one. Is there much luck with the eBay cords?
It is not SO much. You will probably throw that much at the wrong parts before you solve your problems.

Ebay is not the place to go shopping for crucial elements (i.e. sensors, injector nozzles, IPs, etc...) of these cars.
Too much fake and faulty crap out there that someone is trying to unload.
I pull that stuff off of cars on a daily basis.

JETaah

TDI
You are only a half hour away from these trusted mechanics if you don't want to cough up for the Ross-Tech cable:

Wisconsin

JasonTDI Repair
920 Stewart St
Madison, WI 53713
(630) 334-0540
http://www.jasontdr.com/
jasonj@jasontdr.com

Courtesy Auto Service
3030 Milwaukee St
Madison, WI 53714
(608) 244-8088
http://www.courtesyautomadison.com

Ben's Vee-Dub Shop
4806 E Broadway, Suite C
Madison, WI 53716
(608) 441-2550

b1g-al

TDI
2000 beetle
So was looking at the ross tech stuff will the 250 special do what I need. Some of the vag com stuff is a bit confusing. Was looking at the sticky.

b1g-al

TDI
2000 beetle
Ok so put a few hundred miles on it this weekend and noticed everything is running well as long as it is above 2500 rpm. Also a significant change in tone in the exhaust once just above 2500 rpm