‘Oil change needed! Service Vehicle’ light keeps popping up even though service has been completed on my 2015 Passat TDI?

Jhk

TDI
2015 VW Passat
Dose anyone know why my ‘Oil change needed! Service Vehicle’ light keeps popping up even though service has been completed on my 2015 Passat TDI?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Did you reset the oil change reminder? With the car off, push and hold the 0.0 button on the cluster, then turn the key to accessory mode or push the start button without your foot on the brake, it should ask if you want to reset the service light, hit okay on the steering wheel.

Jhk

TDI
2015 VW Passat
I tried that and the vehicle status still says I need to change the oil and displays the orange Oil canister. Computer was also reset but the message display keeps popping up saying to change oil and service vehicle.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
That is strange. You may not have completed the oil change reminder reset function properly. Look at your owners manual and try again following the directions exactly.

Reactions: Jhk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
For a 2015. With car off, hold down the trip reset button in the cluster, turn the ignition on (foot of the pedal for kessy systems) MFD will prompt if you want to reset oil service.

repeat but turn hazards on before starting, and that will do the inspection service.

This is a holdover of the mk7/MQB ECU stuff that the 2012 and 2014 Passats don't have, even though the cluster looks exactly the same.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, the 2015+ NMS is like the A7 cars. And VCDS' SRI reset won't do it, either. Which kinda sucks.

Jhk

TDI
2015 VW Passat
For a 2015. With car off, hold down the trip reset button in the cluster, turn the ignition on (foot of the pedal for kessy systems) MFD will prompt if you want to reset oil service.

repeat but turn hazards on before starting, and that will do the inspection service.

This is a holdover of the mk7/MQB ECU stuff that the 2012 and 2014 Passats don't have, even though the cluster looks exactly the same.
Hmmm, did this and although it resets the service miles, I’m still getting the ‘needs oul change’ light.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Thank you for this!! Works on 2014 also. I had previously figured out how to turn off the oil change reminder, but couldn't get the "inspect now" chime to turn off. This just worked.

Unrelated, I am somewhat surprised how well the engine compartment retains heat in these cars. I got home from work 3 hours ago and it was still hot/warm to the touch when I refilled the washer fluid a minute ago. I guess heat retention speeds engine warming from cold starts and results in better MPGs, but seems like it wouldn't be good for the side effects of DPF regens.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The underhood heat IS a side effect of the DPF regens. Which is why the fans run on high speed during and right after, to try and push the hot air out of the engine compartment.

Jhk

TDI
2015 VW Passat
yes, took it to the dealership, they had to change out the oil again, after resetting it didn’t work the first time. They said it has to be the tight oil or the Passat gets picky about it. Haven’t had the issue since.

gonzo428

TDI
2015 jetta
Just had mine changed bye the dealership 3000 miles ago they didn’t reset the thing. Wife drivers the car she just told me about it. Spent over a hour trying to rest told her to call the dealer in the morning.

skigolfmike

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG SEL
Never could get it to reset . It’s about time for another oil change and going to make sure dealerships reset this time.
We reset with the scan tool and a day later it came back on. Trying to get this mystery figured out. FWIW, my TDi has the Stage 2 Malone tune. Not sure if that is an issue.

skigolfmike

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG SEL
Seeing how this was the 100K service, we missed the fuel filter. Changed the fuel filter and the Oil Change Needed. Service Now Message is gone. What?

Ripster

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI (sold), 2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2005 Cummins
We reset with the scan tool and a day later it came back on. Trying to get this mystery figured out. FWIW, my TDi has the Stage 2 Malone tune. Not sure if that is an issue.
I have the same problem and have also wondered if the tune was affecting it.

skigolfmike

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG SEL
I have the same problem and have also wondered if the tune was affecting it.
Reset the tune to stock and did the oil change and inspection resets. No joy. Put the tune back since the Dieselgate tune is pretty wimpy.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Which factory scanner?

This just popped up for me, even when the oil change counter says 3300 miles to change the oil.

The only thing "different" and recent I had to do was top up around 1L, and I used Pento SP3, instead of the 0w30 VW oil of recent.

What the heck is going on? Oil level is right where it should be. Is the car sensing something I don't know?

Last edited:

Bug

TDI
2013 New Beetle Convertible, 2015 Passat TDI SE
Having the same problem on my 2015 Passat. Just had the tech hook up the computer and reset the system, but I still get the warning that I need an oil change. The MFD shows 1/2 screens with the warning. Screen 2/2 tells me that he interval is 10,000 until next oil change and 20,000 until next inspection. So on one hand, it says I'm good for 10k miles and on the other, I need an oil change now. I guess I'll give the method above a try, since using the scan tool and computer didn't work...

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Changed the oil because it was time. Message went away, but came back a couple of days after.

What the heck is going on?!

I also changed the oil to my wife's 2015 CRUA GSW, same oil, no issues!

Shawn67

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
Check your oil level. If you overfill it will give you a service warning too. Drain a little bit of oil out (or use a topsider) and see if it goes away.

Shawn

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, indeed I just had to take out some 100ml and it is perfect. Although then the right level is slightly below the mark on the dipstick

egibbs

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I had my oil changed at the dealer in December. About 2 weeks later the OIL CHANGE NEEDED appeared. I checked, it was overfilled, brought it back and they drained and replaced the oil. All was fine until yesterday when OIL CHANGE NEEDED came back. I checked the level, it looked high, and I brought it back in. They sucked 7.5 quarts out through the dipstick tube, and say the oil looks thin. They are thinking maybe a messed up injector is flooding a cylinder and diesel is getting into the crankcase. I find it hard to believe that an injector could be that messed up and not throw any other codes. The car runs fine, and fuel mileage is normal. This is a 2015 Jetta TDI with 47K miles.

They refilled it with fresh oil and I'm supposed to watch closely to see if the oil level is rising. Has anyone seen this problem before? Any ideas?