‘05 BEW Golf sub 37 degree start issue…..

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Hello All,

I’m having an odd issue with my Wife’s ‘05 BEW Golf. If the temp is below 37 degrees (e.g. ambient and block temp from overnight), it will “glow,” but not start (will turnover) until fuel is added via accelerator. Multiple ”glow” cycles are initiated with no change. When adding fuel, it starts up immediately without hesitation or abnormal vibes such as “dieseling.” When it is above that temp, there are no issues. Same when the engine is warm.

Some recent work from myself was replacing the lift pump that recently went out. As a side, there were no issues prior ”winter.” Things I know: Fuel is not gelling, 1.9’s can start without glowing reliably down to 25 degrees, no water in fuel, filter replaced 4kmi ago…. Verified all connection and all seem well. Airbox is clean/a-ok with filter replaced 4kmi ago.

Something leads me to believe coolant sensor….. But that’s just a guess. I do not believe this to be related to the MAF as that could pretty much fall flat on itself and the 1.9 would still turn over…..
Searched forums with not a similar issue oddly.

Thought someone might know before I check to see if there are any stored codes. Yes, this is a semi-daily driver.

Thanks all…..

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Is your in tank fuel pump working? You should be able to hear it with the rear seat up and key cycled to the on position.
Sounds like your getting air into your fuel……the fuel pump should be able to handle it……that’s why I suspect your fuel pump may not be working…

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
Unplug coolant temp sensor and try. If its faked out and thinks temp is higher than it is then the start up timing will be off.

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Thank you for the replies guys.

Yes CSS. Forgot to mentioned fuel pressure is normal and NO leak down (pressure in lines) at night

Ok, I’ll do that here shortly DURA.

Last edited: