Search results

1. 3

clutch fluid bleeding

what are you guy/gals doing regarding clutch fluid bleeding at a routine maintenance item? I have 125k and never bled the clutch. I was told by someone about a 100k ago that routine bleeding can ruin slave cylinder seals. I currently have no problems shifting etc. yet have been concerned...
  2. 3

opinion on KYB shocks

I still haven't changed the front struts because I am too cheap to spend over $100 per bilstien shock. I looked at other sites that sell KYB ($45). Any opinions about their use? Is this an issue where you get what you paid for?
  3. 3

need part # and source for 80k timing belt

as the title suggests I need both due to upcoming scheduled timing belt change. I didn't change the tensioner last time yet plan to this time. Any good parts sources would be appreciated. tim
  4. 3

opinion on shock/strut replacement

I need to replace all shocks/struts. I am undecided on which to get. I know that I won't be getting bilstein or koni. However, there does appear to be other lower end shocks for the chosing. I now eclipsed 120k and the shocks are going south fast. What opinions do you have about shock...
  5. 3

strut/shock selection

I want to replace the struts on my 98 Jetta. However, I am seeing different manufacturers offer struts as a whole unit or just the insert. I like the idea of just pulling my springs on the whole unit and skipping the removal of the insert. Having said that what recommendations are made for...
  6. 3

need a little help with steering rack ID

I was rotating my tires recently and noticed a small crack in the tie rod end boot. So I go to a local parts store and they do not stock them. I go to the dealer and they ask which manufacturer made the steering rack and, of course, I didn't know. I tried finding a manufacturer tag this...
  7. 3

1982 Vanagon Westfalia for sale

the euphoria of having a pop-up camper seems to have worn off my family. The camper is a little too small for 3 kids, 2 schnauzers, and my wife and me. So I am selling it. specifics: beige yellow, minimul rust (only 2 or 3 areas of surface rust no bigger than a quarter), good tires, new...
  8. 3

what is the single most TDi discovery?

A while back (about 2-3 months ago) a statement was made by someone regarding a wonderful discovery concerning our TDi engines. I know this sounds odd considering everything that is talked about here, yet I have been bothered by this quest to find out what was said. I think this discussion...
  9. 3

still have Audi 5000 Bentley's FS

still have Audi 5000 Bentley\'s FS I still have the Bentley manuals for the Audi 5000 (1984-1988 2 vol set). I now have a digital camera so if interested email me and I can send a picture of them. let me know, I want to get rid of them. tim
  10. 3

I should have gotten a CD changer long ago

I went to Crutchfield on Saturday to check out their two CD changers offered for the head unit of my car. I purchased the USAspec brand (because it was the same price as the Panasonic yet has a 3 year warranty vs 1 year with Pan.). The sound and convienence are incredible not to mention the...
  11. 3

cruise resume option not working

today, while driving to a family reunion, I noticed the resume option on the cruise isn't working. Any suggestions why and do you think this is the beginning of more cruise control problems? tim
  12. 3

Crutchfield's USA spec CD changer

Crutchfield\'s USA spec CD changer I called Crutchfield tonight to ask about a CD changer they sell that will operate with my stock 98 Jetta stereo. He tells me there is a connector needed from my connector in the back to the changer. Anyone who has an aftermarket CD changer need additional...
  13. 3

Audi 5000 & Saab 900 Bentley's still FS

Audi 5000 & Saab 900 Bentley\'s still FS I still have the audi and saab bentley manuals for sale if anyone is interested. In excellent condition and I am willing to sell very reasonably. email me if interested.
  14. 3

A3 owners............any rust yet?

just curious. also any suggestions on dealing with bumper color fade? I washed my car yesterday and noticed color fading on the bumpers. The rest of the car looks great (except for stone chips!). tim
  15. 3

oil temp question

what is the usual oil temperature for our TDis and what is considered too hot an oil temp?
  16. 3

I never thought I would ask a oil related question but.....

As some may know, besides having a TDi I also have a 82 Westfalia (air cooled). Someone gave me 4 quarts of Castro 20w-40. The engine in the Westy is a rebuilt with only 13k on it. Once I purchased it I put in 10w-40. Is the 20w-40 too thick an oil for the air cooled does it strickly depend...
  17. 3

brake pad recommendation

I am needing to replace the front pads on my 98 Jetta. 100k miles on the first set (no bad). What brand is recommended for stock performing pads? I tried to do a search on this and the computer seems to stall. Also has there been problems with the site because I haven't been able to get on...
  18. 3

smoking from behind steering wheel

this has happended twice now over a two week period. I get in the car (1998 A3), start it up, and see smoke from behind the steering wheel near the turn signal switch lasting a few seconds. Has this ever happened to you are what could the culprit be?
  19. 3

A3 OE fog light wiring loom still available

I have been trying to sell this thing for a long time. I still have the OE wiring loom for any A3 Jetta/Golf if interested. $35 plus shipping. A great buy considering what they cost and this one is brand new, never used. email me if interested. tim
  20. 3

1984-88 Audi 5000 bentley for sale (2 volumes)

I sold the car over a year and a half ago and still have the Bentley manual for it (2 volume set). They are in very good condition with no tears and only a little writing in the front/rear cover. If interested email me for I do not visit this portion of the site often. $60 plus shipping...