Search results

1. S

Ross Tech Micro-Can VCDS cable

$150 shipped in the US. Paypal F&F or you pay fees.
  2. S

Garage Cleaning: Mk4 power steering hoses and a/c hoses and power steering pump, $5

Moving and clearing out the garage. Mk4 (2002 Jetta Automatic) power steering hoses, power steering pump, and air conditioner lines. These were stored in a dusty garage and will need to be thoroughly cleaned before installation. $5 per item plus shipping. Just want them gone to a good home.
  3. S

How to remove musty smell from carpet

So, we had a bunch of rain last month and I didn't drive my car. Turned out that I'm just starting to develop a leak in the valence that's letting rainwater into my driver's side floor near the dead pedal. Now it smells like mildew and dirt. Any recommendations on something I can soak the floor...
  4. S

Loud engine. Causes? Diagnosis?

I have two TDIs, a black manual wagon (car 1), and a silver auto jetta (car 2). Both are 2003. I guess I never noticed it since car 1 is my primary driver and I just started driving car 2. Car 1 is really loud! At idle they are about the same but after 2000 rpm and up car 1 is really loud. The...
  5. S

Looking into buying a Sportwagen TDI 2010-2012

Hi folks, My wifey needs a bigger car since we have a baby on the way and she wants a sportwagen tdi. I tried to convince her that the ALH Mk4 wagons are the way to go but that didn't go so well. So here's the thing. We're on a budget, about 11k, but anything lower we can get the better. I've...
  6. S

Several electrical issues, may or may not be related.

I've got a 2003 Jetta Auto TDI. My neighbor's interested in it and I haven't started it in 6 months. We wash it and take it for a test drive. The wipers work for a couple seconds, and then I start spraying wiper fluid and it sprays for a couple seconds and then stops dead in the middle. No...
  7. S

ALH Camshaft specs? (What's new? what's worn?)

In preparation of changing the timing belt I though I'd check the camshaft. I took measurements with my calipers. Starting from passenger side to drivers side. Lobe 1 1.828 Lobe 2 1.826 Lobe 3 1.825 Lobe 4 1.827 Lobe 5 1.825 Lobe 6 1.823 Lobe 7 1.820 Lobe 8 1.824 Visually there is some wear...
  8. S

ALH engine very loud, possible causes?

A couple months ago my engine got louder. Now, its an old engine and lots of bits probably are wearing out so what I describe as symptoms may be from multiple independent causes. My first concern is that its loud! This is a smooth-ish noise that's entirely RPM dependent, whether the engine is...
  9. S

Suspension Refresh Tips on a Mk4

I read a bunch of individual how-tos for various parts of this job, but doing it all at the same time lets certain things go a bit faster. This isn't a how-to per se, but a tips post for someone who can read all the DIYs already out there and wants to do it all at the same time. Suspension...
  10. S

FS 2002 Jetta Auto Silver

Got this one with the intent of fixing it up and giving it to my GF. It took me longer than anticipated and she ended up getting a ford fiesta manual. 180,000 miles on it. PO took it to the shop regularly AFAIK, but she and the shop weren't that smart about fixing it up. PO sold it because of...
  11. S

WTB: ALH MAF, MK4 cup holder, trunk struts

Items Acquired. Thanks! Looking for an ALH MAF. Would like to pay $30 shipped to 27703 looking for a cup holder. $20 shipped w/wo MAF bonus, looking for trunk struts for a sedan. $5 since I can pull these for free from the junk yard if I got off my ass and drove there.
  12. S

Won't start after a fuel pump change

Car is an 02 Jetta Auto. Automatic is currently nonoperational (no fluid, harness not hooked up). I normally wouldn't ask for help on something that would sound so obvious (fuel pump is bad), but the fuel pump came from a working car, was stored with mineral spirits & 2 cycle oil, and the car...
  13. S

FS: 10mm ALH Injection Pump, needs rebuild or as core

Just pulled yesterday from my car. Has between 70,000-370,000 miles (bought car @ 300,000 mi). The timing was off (could have been the pump or something in the timing belt chain), the injection quantity was off (could be something in the pump, or when I tried to tighten down the top to stop the...
  14. S

Trouble starting an 03 manual. Especially overnight

I have an 03 wagon, manual, 360k miles. I know I need to replace the injectors and the IP sometime because they're running rough but its $ I don't have. Once its started its fine until I shut it off. Over the past two weeks its been giving me trouble starting and its been getting worse. At...
  15. S

DIY: Replacing solenoids in the 01M?

The question mark being, I haven't done this yet but I intend to and I'll document it here. I purchased a set of solenoids and an extra wiring harness. The old wiring harness removal tool is on its way from coolairvw and I've got 6L of VW ATF and a filter too. I have removed and replaced valve...
  16. S

Sidemount transmission cooler?

I was working on my friend's MK4 VR6 and I was surprised to see an intercooler on it... no, that's an auxillary coolant radiator. Huh! However, its on the right side. Are there any drop in left side sidemount radiators that I can use to make a sidemount transmission cooler?
  17. S

Need help with a VR6 (keeps dying after running out of gas)

I normally don't work on gassers except for friends so sometimes I have no clue what's wrong with them. My friend had his 2000 VR6 (12V) towed to me because it was leaking coolant and was in need of service. I repaired the thermostat housing leak, replaced the coolant, changed the engine and...
  18. S

WTB: MK4 2002+ key fob, gray glove box, silver RH mirror

Need a gray glove box, $30 shipped? Just need a glove box for now (got/cancelled the others). Cheapest on car-part.com is $20 so I'm offering $30 shipped.
  19. S

Jetta wagon mk4 black. Eastbound on I40 in NC

I drive a black wagon and was heading east on I40 when I saw and passed another black wagon with a cb antenna. I honked but you didn't seem to hear me, what with you being able to barely see over the steering wheel.
  20. S

ARrgghhh. Wash B20 off if it spills. [biodiesel / flat tire coincidence]

Yesterday I filled up at a place that has B20 but never changes their filters so it was slow. Like, a minute a gallon slow. I was watching it near the end but it still spilled over... Today, I pull into the store to buy something and notice that my right rear wheel is flattttt. I poke at it...