Search results

1. R

Glyphosate (Round-up) Monsanto Catastrophe

PPM levels of silicone fluid is aded to commercial frying oils, to reduce violent foaming when the wet food is put in the hot oil. This application is approved by the FDA. As noted above, another kind of siloxane is used in OTC meds like Maalox AntiGas. I suspect you could eat that Silly...
  2. R

BP/Amoco Diesel Premium Map? anyone???

I wish you luck. Back in 2002 - 2004 I made many calls into BP for that info. One guy sent me a list of all BP stations that sold diesel. It was so full of errors as to be useless. They could not supply a list of stations carrying the good stuff. We just informed the community here when we...
  3. R

Exhaust Broken pre-Cat; Downpipe Needed?

I am in a similar situation. The downpipe on mine is cracked just above the cat. One shop said it might be weldable, but that his welder wasn't good enough to do it. My regular mechanic tells me that the factory part is expensive because the cat contains the proper amount of the precious...
  4. R

Mobil TDT 5W-40 at Walmart

Has anyone seen TDT at a Wal-Mart in the Cleveland area? The Strongsville and Cleveland Hts stores do not have it, don't even have a shelf tag for it.
  5. R

Looking for shop who understands us in Cleveland, Ohio

Swedish Solution has been doing VW work for several years now, but I have not used them, even though I could walk there.
  6. R

ECS is in Norton, just west of Akron. I picked up a SPEC stage 1 from an on-line vendor, and had ECS install. I needed a clutch upgrade because my Upsolute chip caused cold-weather clutch slip. I have been happy with the SPEC. There was some grabbiness in the let-off under low RPM launches...
  7. R

I have used Swedish Solution for work when I had a SAAB. They are good people, but not cheap, and my sense is they are not strong on performance mods. I took my TDI to Euro Car Service (ecstuning.com) to have my SPEC clutch installed. They are big on performance stuff, but I don't know how...
  8. R

Who has DMF with SPEC stage 1?

I had the SPEC 1 put in about a year ago, and kept the OEM DMF. Of course, that is the main reason to use the SPEC. I have been happy with it, had no slippage last winter. The let-off is different from OEM; I stalled it more than a few times till my leg got retrained, now I can't remember if it...
  9. R

Intermittent power loss

I suspect there are several conditions that lead to those symptons. Where in Ohio are you? Your best bet is to find someone with a VAG-COM who can scan your car, get the codes, and start searching here on those codes. The community can do a better job of helping when given more information to go...
  10. R

5 Blown Turbos

IIRC, it was determined here years ago that if the turbo actuator rod is not positioned correctly, then high altitude cars will suffer as you have described. try searching old (~2001) threads by mickey and skypup. Is your mechanic familiar with TDIs, or following the Bentley on proper set-up?
  11. R

low coolant temp, other symptoms

John did log that. I don't have it in front of me now, but if I remember correctly the requested was ~1980mbar, and the (momentary) spikes were ~2500 - 2520mbar. I think some of the runs were in third gear as well, don't know if you can tell from the log. I am not practiced in interpreting the...
  12. R

Thanks, weedeater, but I have checked that plug and it is clean and dry. Re your idea of a common ground; I don't do electrical stuff, electrons confuse me, my wife does all the electrical work at home (plumbing, too!) Does anyone out there know if there is a common ground?
  13. R

Bump for suggestions, ideas (helpful or otherwise), trenchant commentary or outright flames. Don't you just hate it when your thread fades into obscurity?
  14. R

Update. I drove over to John Beyer's last Friday. On the way, the coolant temp display was back to the standard 190F, and the CEL was still on. While cruising at 75mph, I punched the throttle and the car responded as normal, ran up to ~85 and then it just went flat, no more acceleration. Very...
  15. R

I don't know how many Cleveland VAG-COMmers there are, but you only need one.....John Beyer is going to help me out tomorrow btw, the coolant temp was back up to the standard 190F on the drive home, but the CEL has persisted.
  16. R

No, 'dorf, I am not trying to implicate the chip. I have been happy with it for 55k miles. I just listed it in the interest of full disclosure. I could have mentioned the Spec clutch, ventectomy, and EGR adaption, but they seemed less relevant. Clarification: the coolant is NOT low; it is...
  17. R

The car: 2002 Golf, 59000 miles, Upsolute. For the last several days the coolant temp gauge has not come up to 190F. Stops about one mark low. But this has not been consistent, for a few days it was low, then up to 190F one day, now low again. Coincident with this, occasionally the car...
  18. R

Winter/Snow tire recommendations

I'm in the market for some winter tires, too. I've been running on Hakkas for nearly 20 years. The latest Consumer Reports just tested winter tires, and to my surprise the Hakka 2 and RSI did not fare well. Top was Michelin X-Ice. Anyone else see this article? Comments? I think part of the...
  19. R

Power Service Additve--How much?

I use a 12 oz clear PET (#1) water bottle, for either White or Silver PS. Same bottle for two years, no problems. I keep it in the drivers side storage hatch in the trunk. No fumes.
  20. R

Gettin owned in Autocross-TDI that slow?

"I had the Corrado at an event where Bobby Archer showed up and told me he could "fix" all the Corrado's FWD "problems" by installing coil-overs. I said, "Really? How many FWD cars have you driven?" That was the end of that conversation. We all know Bobby Archer can drive the heck out of a...