Search results

1. bwilson4web

Autoline After Hours - Thursday Mar 10

Source: http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?p=80361&cpage=1#comment-1147050 "Our guest is Oliver Schmidt, who was smack dab in the middle of Volkswagen’s dieselgate. In fact, Oliver is one of the few VW executives to spend time behind bars, he was at a federal prison for 5 years for his role in the...
  2. bwilson4web

The dirty secret of electric vehicles

Source: https://www.carbonbrief.org/solar-is-now-cheapest-electricity-in-history-confirms-iea Meanwhile, a major part of the Tesla business model involves grid power storage and home solar roofs. There is an old saying, never let perfect become the enemy of 'good enough.' If not enough sun...
  3. bwilson4web

There is a great fusion reactor available for about half of each day ... in the sky. Bob Wilson
  4. bwilson4web

Dense chart for the recently updated Teslas

Source: https://insideevs.com/news/449502/tesla-model-sx3y-comparison-october-2020/ Bob Wilson
  5. bwilson4web

Let me know where the landfills are full of batteries. I have a shovel. You do realize that gasoline is made using cobalt to remove sulfur. Bob Wilson
  6. bwilson4web

The Congo kids mine cobalt to buy food. Bob Wilson
  7. bwilson4web

Tesla recently held battery day: 0:00:00 - 36.55 - eye-candy 36:55 - 1:06:36 - stockholder meeting (boring) 1:06:36 - 3:18:08 - let's get technical Rather than seeking 'bias confirmation,' view the source (at high speed) and then let's talk. From the video: use of encapsulated, silicon...
  8. bwilson4web

Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

Excellent! I started a thread about the ID.4 being sold out. I think the moderators would be wise to make a "VW Electric Vehicles" sub-forum. This would be a great place to collect earlier, current, and new EV threads specific to the VW family. I'll be waiting for the EV version of the VW...
  9. bwilson4web

Looks like the VW ID.4 is popular

Source: https://insideevs.com/news/445691/volkswagen-outsold-all-id4-1st-us/ We don't know how strong the demand is, but the limited edition is gone. The Volkswagen ID.4 reservation platform for the U.S. was launched at yesterday's global premiere of the model, but it seems that the first...
  10. bwilson4web

When I slid into a curb, I picked up the replacement bearing at the Tesla Service Center and replaced them myself. I've already installed lighter rims and Bridgestone ECOPIA tires on the rear. I'll replace the front tires when they get closer to the wear bars. Bob Wilson
  11. bwilson4web

Of course you might 'piss off' a Tesla owner by getting a Lucid Air. Bob Wilson
  12. bwilson4web

What I do is use the SuperCharger billing divided by the miles of the trip. But remember the earlier (and even today at some SuperChargers) there continues to be a two-tiered billing per minute: $0.26/minute above 60 kW $0.13/minute below 60 kW This does not include the cost of charging to...
  13. bwilson4web

Just sharing some data points: $37,990 - current price for Standard Range Plus Model 3 which includes basic AutoPilot March 26, 2019 bought mine $41,000 with Autopilot and Blue paint Got $18,300 trade-in on Prius Prime, net $22,700 Odometer 28,154 miles running version: 2020.36 updated two...
  14. bwilson4web

Electric vehicles (EVs), their emissions, and future viability

Hi, I wanted to share my experimental tuning of a 2019 Std Rng Plus Model 3 to compensate for battery degradation. Widely reported, the first year is ~5% followed by a 1% loss every year. My battery is about 3-4% (not an easy metric) so I wanted to start a tuning effort to compensate for the...
  15. bwilson4web

There have been experiments using a gas/diesel vehicle to tow a flat-lined battery EV and put a charge on it from regeneration. Otherwise, there are significant risks as spinning the motor makes it a generator. Without active electronics, it can easily inject excessive voltage and blow the...
  16. bwilson4web

All I can do is share my experience: 2019 Standard Range Plus Model 3 Purchase - $41k offset by $18.3k trade-in Prius Prime. Added Blue paint, Autopilot, and Full Self Driving. Trip 1 - Drove to Detroit, solo 714 miles, $25 in Supercharger fees each way. Trip 2 - Drove to Allen TX to visit...
  17. bwilson4web

Source: https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/mpp-model-3-vs-model-s-plaid-at-laguna-seca-data-comparison/ As everyone that follows Tesla knows, Elon just announced a new “Plaid” version of the Model S to tackle the Nurburgring. That same car also went to have a go at Laguna Seca, and they...
  18. bwilson4web

Good Taycan review

I follow several EV car YouTube channels that some I automatically put on 2x speed because the narrators suffer 'verbal diarreha' . . . 90% fluff and 10% content. I need facts and data, not someone trying to do my thinking for me. This is the best Taycan review so far...
  19. bwilson4web

My understanding is Tesla was going to raise prices by 3% to deal with the tariff. Then Musk flew to China who removed the sales tax, 10%. https://www.industryweek.com/leadership/tesla-gets-exemption-china-s-10-tax-car-sales-shares-gain Bob Wilson
  20. bwilson4web

With my wife and I, our first gas car, a Plymouth 400 wagon, the trip pattern was: 3 hour first leg - we're fresh and relaxed, go for it and then comes the first biology break. Fill the tank. 2 hour segments - biology breaks and walk arounds. Top off the tank. Curiously this matches the same...