Search results

1. E

nearby lightning strike disables golf tdi, sprinter

a nearby lightning strike lit up / shook the whole house last night. my 2k golf gl tdi... gives the air bag and esp system alarm lights, turns over but then dies, immediately. tried the negative battery terminal disconnect / turn on light "reset" scheme... no change. the sprinter won't even...
  2. E

rattle / thump / creak was the rear seat

buzzing around out and about over the last week or so around I start to noitice an intermittent groan/rattle/creak from the rear driver side....... wheel bearing? springs/suspension? after getting way more wound up/dirty than necessary I finally notice that one of the folding rear seats is not...
  3. E

No Longer for Sale: Kept the TDI, sold the focus

black, vw skidplate, passenger door keyed (scratches), passenger mirror replaced with unheated version, fuel pump temp sensor cel, 45K miles? (I think, hafta check), debadged. I've got twins on the way so I bought a new sprinter...(it rocks!) had been planning on dumping the prior baby mobile -...
  4. E

powerservice on clearance at walmart

both the walmarts in my area have (had) powerservice diesel kleen on clearance... cleaned them out in my local... (8) 96 ounce bottles. 7@$7 each and 1@$4. if you use powerservice, it might be worth your while to check your local walmart clearance aisle. even with my new sprinter to also...
  5. E

wtb: A4 passenger mirror assembly, manual, heated

2000 golf gl, black..... only need the passenger side.
  6. E

overinflation tire wear

I just noticed that my tire centers are all wearing faster than the edges. When I over inflated my tires for a single tank interstate marathon last year, I never let the air out. Doh!
  7. E

Illinois License Plate Corrosion / Delamination

Any other Illinoisians notice their new license plates (state jazzed up the plate style 2 years ago) are.... CRAP? My old style plates lasted for years and years - while replacing the registration sticker I just noticed that the new ones are delaminating at multiple points from the back side...
  8. E

wired article on Bio-D.

http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,59713,00.html
  9. E

1058 Miles / 16.43 Gallons - yahoo! A4 1000 mile club

2000 Golf with DRLs disabled and stubby antenna. 100% highway. Continuous driving between two drivers, cruise control set at 1950 rpm ~ 58 mph. Windows closed, AC on. tires 40 psi. We spent several hours overnight driving along through a massive thunderstorm that threatened to blow us off...
  10. E

CEL "P1164" - Fuel Temperature Sensor Range/Perfor

CEL \"P1164\" - Fuel Temperature Sensor Range/Perfor Anyone ever seen this CEL? No detectible performance change on the car (2000 Golf). CEL appeared after 900 miles of continuous driving. It was "hot" driving through south dakota, the door wax melted out for the first time. There have...
  11. E

CEL/fumes in passenger cabin 2000 miles from home

At the 900 mile point from Chicago to Portland I got a CEL. Later detected fumes in passenger cabin if the passenger cabin recirc is open. Now in Portland for a family gathering trying to figure out what to do. I have traced the intercooler piping and everything appears to still be connected...
  12. E

rear brake job questions.

Seems I've had the rear calipers sieze (or did the car get driven with the parking brake on? the calipers are siezed - now), brake pads on the right and on the left wheel are gone. One rotor is trashed. Time for an emergency brake job. There is mention of a harbor freight brake pad piston...
  13. E

Any tips for my 1000/tank attempt?

I'll be driving Chicago-Portland and back next month. Finally a chance to go for the magic 1000 miles on a single fully vented tank. With a driving passenger it will be interstate non-stop at 62mph cruise control until 1000 or bust. 44psi tires. I'm pondering removing the antenna and folding...
  14. E

Improving clearance with skid plate

Happy to have my skidplate protect me - but concerned about the loss of clearance (and visions of things hitting the plate and then bouncing up into brake/fuel lines). I now have 3.75" clearance. The skidplate is intended for use with the HD springs? Does that increase the clearance or just...
  15. E

Missing Turbo Mount bracket bolt - what type to replace it with?

I discovered that I also have a missing bolt, same one previously noted by others. "...A black bracket descends down from the turbo/compressor. The empty bolt hole at the end of the bracket was immediately apparent, and was visible when laying on my back to remove the oil drain plug..." Others...
  16. E

Palatine Metra station

who is it with the silver beetle that goes chuga chuga chuga?
  17. E

The "Never Again" VW Crowd: Debadge

The chorus of "VW is screwing us, my VW is a lemon, my VW warranty is worthless.... blah blah blah" has led several to vow "never again". In that case why do you drive around every day advertising for VW so they can attract more victims? Debadge - for better or worse, you paid for the car...
  18. E

winterizing for maximum mileage

I put the acoustic sheild back on the engine block hoping to keep things a little warmer. Shook the airfilter and dumped the bugs/lint out of the snow screen (10% blocked in 7500 miles?). It would be good to change the fuel filter that the weasels at Autobahn refused to change as part of...
  19. E

1st annual TDI awards of merit for 2000

Lots of energy spent on TDI's this year. What are the highlights, accomplishments that should be memorialized? A handful of brave souls that have entered the once unimaginable 900 mile club. Finally a competitor chip - upsolute Propane After two years of research, finally reaching the edge...
  20. E

Non-warranty service at 15K? EAT ME

AutoBarn VW sends me a postcard saying "time to come in for your 15K service". I finally got to 15K, called and said got your card, when do you want me? When I bring it in, the service tool signs me in and I go to get Lunch at McD. When I get back a real service guy is there, he says there is...