Search results

1. sisyphus

Transmission slip??

It’s an automatic. They’re not known for their reliability. That being said, low on fluid, blocked valves, worn plates.
  2. sisyphus

Timing belt snapped due to glow plug tip falling in?

That’s horrifying. My glow plugs have been in so long I’m afraid to check them.
  3. sisyphus

Had it with the ABS.

I'm not averse to ditching the ABS but it sounds pretty complicated to get rid of. I'm also not sure of what proportioning valve to use or how to set it up.
  4. sisyphus

TB questions

Ah, got it. Thanks. Subsequent questions: What’s the DPF thing all about and where is it, And what locking tools are specific to this engine?
  5. sisyphus

TB questions

I have someone with a 2015 Golf and they're asking if I can do their timing belt (at 75k). I would love to help out, but I've never done one on one of these, but I've done more than a few ALH's. My questions are: What engine does this have (CRUA I think)? Do I need any tools specific to this...
  6. sisyphus

What makes the most noise on TB side?

Ugh. Is it possible the IP is failing? Is there a telltale noise they make? I had to lock the IP when I took the belt off so I couldn’t do much with it.
  7. sisyphus

I have one. Used it with the car running, with it off, with the timing belt off and turning things by hand, I don’t know what else I can do. I listened with ear goggles on to dampen all the higher pitched sounds, I was under the car, I had my son move the rpm’s up and down, I cannot find the...
  8. sisyphus

No. As far as I can tell everything associated with the timing belt is fine. Maybe I’ll just let it develop, the car owes me nothing.
  9. sisyphus

Ha! No wonder I couldn’t remember. Thought I was losing my mind.
  10. sisyphus

Down to the harmonic balancer and the central nut I can’t remember what I used to get it off previously. My other 99.5 has a regular bolt and this one has what looks like a triple square type head with a 16-point perimeter. I lost a bunch of tools in an accident a few years ago so whatever I...
  11. sisyphus

That’s what I’m hoping, yes.
  12. sisyphus

Now that I think of it, about six weeks ago or maybe longer there was an “incident.” I got the coolant light on the dash along with the beeping. I got out and looked and sure enough it was low. I’ve never had a car with low coolant that didn’t have an obvious leak somewhere. I brought it into...
  13. sisyphus

It was like my fourth TB job, all components in the belt path were done.
  14. sisyphus

Yep. That wasn’t it. Makes a howling noise, makes me think bearing. On something. Do water pumps make scary noises when they go bad?
  15. sisyphus

Turning the AC on/off doesn’t change the sound.
  16. sisyphus

Tdi ALH cutting power/jerking on acceleration

Try a different pedal?
  17. sisyphus

I have a 99.5 with manual box. It has 311k on it. I did the TB at around 260k. Ive noticed a noise that at first I thought was a failing differential, it sounds kind of like gear clash but…softer. If that makes sense. I checked the transmission oil and it’s honey-colored, no metal flakes...
  18. sisyphus

Where can I find a fuse diagram specific to my car?

It’s been said that the only thing keeping your kids in the house is keeping them out of it later on.
  19. sisyphus

Ah, glad you asked. Well. My DMM is a piece of crap and I’m not proficient with one in the first place. Now that I’ve set the scene, I was seeing what I thought was current at 27 and a couple other ones but when I re did the test it was actually the voltage drop I was seeing and I wasn’t waiting...
  20. sisyphus

Well, I guess it sounds like if something was turned on like an electric motor but not actually running? I thought it was the wiper motor at first but I had to move my head around in the engine bay to find it. Drawing half an amp. Disconnected the cable and the draw dropped down to just a few...