Search results

1. J

Anybody buyback their own TDI?

I know this is an ancient thread that I started back in 2018 but, I thought I would update. I purchased a new 2018 Passat TSI, 2.0, SEL trim the end of 2018 after the TDI return. So, I've been living with it for 5 years now. OK, it's not as satisfying as the TDI but it ain't bad. The $$$...
  2. J

Congrats!!! This is why I started the thread. I have not replaced my 2013 Passat that I returned in November. Your experience has prompted me to continue the search for my car. I have been considering a new TSI Passat but I can't pull the trigger. I'm concerned that every time I drive the...
  3. J

Trading in your VW TDI? What will be your next car

May I ask which kit you used for the conversion? I have a TREK hybrid that I would like to use for that purpose. Since I got my FUJI Fat Tire I never use the hybrid anymore. Sorry to change the subject.
  4. J

Maybe I am mistaken but, doesn't the buyback need to be completed by 12-31-18?
  5. J

I believe that the heater is covered by a silent, or not so silent, extended warranty since there were so many failures and it is, obviously, associated with the emissions. Maybe it depends on mileage.
  6. J

"MOST" being the operative word there. There was a period where a lot of people purchased these cars having no understanding (or caring about) the care and feeding of diesel cars. However, I never buy used cars with the exception of Corvettes. I have purchased 7 of them with only one new. I...
  7. J

Well...... I turned in the car this past Monday and received the payment Wednesday. I learned today (Friday) that, given all of the steps that VW has the dealer go through with these returned cars, I will probably never see that car again. The dealer did attempt to work with me but VW...
  8. J

Exactly! I would never purchase a used TDI. I have TDI friends that ask why I don't just buy "some other" TDI to replace mine. It's a simple response, I know I took care of mine.
  9. J

All good questions to which I have no answers. I will, however, make note and have them should this go as planned. Thanks!
  10. J

I am prepared to lose the car if that is the way it goes. However, if it were to go as planned, I would walk away with the car and greater than twice the fix $$$. I obviously want to keep the car but it is 6 years old and, while low mileage, age takes a toll on all of the items not covered in...
  11. J

Thanks for all of the responses. I’m feeling pretty good about this. I test drove the 2019 Jetta and was not impressed. It gets great MPG but not very satisfying. However, then again, there is nothing like the TDI / DSG combo. I wonder how the title change and registration process would go...
  12. J

I was speaking with the dealership manager, where I purchased my 2013 Passat TDI, to make certain that I was on their schedule in November for my turn-in date. During the conversation I was lamenting the return of this car since I only have 38K miles on it and it looks like new. He then asked...
  13. J

Spare tire check at turn-in?

Thank you sir for your input!
  14. J

Spare tire check at turn-in?

I will be "surrendering" my 2013 Passat TDI shortly. The very first thing I did with the car when it had 25 miles on the clock was ditch the pathetic spare tire "doughnut" and replace it with a full size Conti and original alloy wheel. It never made it to ground contact. I may purchase a new...
  15. J

Please don't flame... Passat Gasser

That may be a deal breaker right there. Thanks for the heads-up! If it is going to be another VW (gasser this time) I will go for the Passat since the new standard factory warranty will take me to my next car 6 years from now. The 72K mile warranty is a no-brainer since my 2013 TDI only has...
  16. J

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I don’t keep a car, regardless of mileage, more than about 6 years. If VW hadn’t screwed the pooch I would be looking at my next NEW Passat TDI at the end of this year. However, that “thingy” is over.
  17. J

Thank you for your input! Whether or not this is crazy, I'm going to checkout the Accord and Camry Hybrid. I've never experienced the Hybrid ride. It's killing me to do this but, like everyone else here, I just need to get used to the idea that the diesel thingy is over. I thought about the...
  18. J

Has anyone replaced their Passat TDI, DSG with the new 2.0 gasser Passat? If so, I know it must be a huge let-down after the TDI but is it livable? I ask because I am very satisfied with the Passat comfort, handling (for its size) and storage. The rear seats allow for full trunk access which...
  19. J

37 Parking Lots

Thanks for all of the responses. Great analysis CHawk!
  20. J

37 Parking Lots

Is that deadline only for the 3.0 or, does my Passat get a reprieve until 12-2019 rather than this December? That would be nice since my bumper-to-bumper VW factory extended warranty continues until late 2019. Edit - I just read a second article, dated today, in the NY POST stating that the...